Hurricane Season

Up2Parr

We are taking our first cruise in Oct 9th Norfolk to Bahamas on Carnival Triumph and it never even crossed my mind that it is hurricane season that time of year. Anyone ever cruised during that time of year??

I've cruised then lots. Don't worry. Odds of a hurricane then where you are cruising are low. And since hurricanes are predicted days in advance, the cruise lines will adjust itineraries if needed -- they certainly don't want to sail through one! So just be flexible if there are changes and remember it will be an experience to tell the grandkids! I've even charted sailboats in the BVI during the season -- you have days of notice and can adjust.

Hurricane season is six months long....

....so YES, about half the folks who cruise do so during hurricane season. I always cruise in early September, which is one of the two worst months for hurricanes. The captain WILL take the ship out of harm's way, have no fear.:)

What you most likely will find in Sept., at least in the vicinity of FL and the Bahamas, is more rain. The usual afternoon showers that take place all summer long, shift into sometimes SEVERAL different showers that can go on and off for hrs. into the evening. This is common. And thunderstorms pick up a bit. You may not encounter that at all. We've tried cruising in the fall twice. Once in Sept. and once in early Nov., when we were supposed to be past all of that. But both times got lots of rain, which DID dampen the fun as there were some terrific ports where our shoreside activities got ruined. There will be a kazillion people who will write and say it's great in the fall. I have a friend who sails then a lot, and has managed to go in between wks. of hurricanes and had great times. But you have to realize THAT's partly why the rates are so cheap then, and why they are higher in the nicer times of the year. A great time to go is AFTER Easter in April and early May, when the rates are down and the weather pretty good for the most part. But if fall is the only time you can go, take the chance and go for it. You WON'T get caught in a hurricane. Like an earlier poster said, they sail away from it.

We are taking our first cruise in Oct 9th Norfolk to Bahamas on Carnival Triumph and it never even crossed my mind that it is hurricane season that time of year. Anyone ever cruised during that time of year??

Up2Parr, Yes, we've cruised four times during Hurricane Season. Only once did we actually run into any high seas...Due to 42 ft. ses, we were not able to make one of the scheduled ports of call. Because of that, Carnival sent us 30% discount coupons to use on our next cruise. Many people got sick but we loved being out on the outside decks feeling the water spray. You had to watch your step while walking around ship and place things in your cabin so they would not slide off the dresser/desk. It didn't last long. I really don't think you'll have any problems. It's usually November when they are more active (Hurricanes). We are from Southwest Louisiana which is below sea level and we get hurricanes often. Being on a big ship wasn't bad at all. They actually called it a Tropical Depression.

Hope this has helped.

Gail J.

Darlin6372@aol.com

Hurricane season is six months long....

....so YES, about half the folks who cruise do so during hurricane season. I always cruise in early September, which is one of the two worst months for hurricanes. The captain WILL take the ship out of harm's way, have no fear.:)

Cotton: You must be a transplanted CAJUN! One thing for sure, you can always go to a lounge and Allons Danser!!

We are from Southwest Louisiana which is below sea level and we get hurricanes often. Being on a big ship wasn't bad at all. They actually called it a Tropical Depression.

Hope this has helped.

Gail JQUOTE]

A tropical depression is defined as the following by NOAA

Tropical Depression:

A tropical cyclone in which the maximum sustained surface wind speed (using the U.S. 1-minute average) is 33 kt (38 mph or 62 km/hr) or less.

It is actually more like a thunderstorm. I have been in many of these and it is nothing. Living in Florida my entire life I am about hurricaned out. And Late August and September is the worst time.

Flexibility is the operative term here. Personally, I don't sail in September or October, since the ports are an important component of my cruise. I would be extremely disappointed if, say, St. Maarten was bypassed and we ended up in Nassau (my least favorite destination); and I don't consider sailing through 20-ft. swells an adventure. In addition, the possibility of the home port being hit (as was the case at least twice in '04) can result in cancellations and/or radically altered sailings (i.e. 7 nights reduced to 5, cruises to nowhere substituted for original itineraries, etc.) ... no, thanks.

Prices are quite reasonable in November and December (excluding Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve), and we generally sail during these periods. Never in 22 cruises have I encountered anything over 12 ft. seas (and that only once), which is about my comfort limit. We've always sailed the itineraries as scheduled (save for a canceled stop at Princess Cays last November - hurricane damage, ironically), and wouldn't consider moving up our cruise a couple of months just to save $50. The other deals are after spring break, but before school lets out (late April to mid-May), and we take advantage of those bargains as well (generally about $60-$70 more than November).

Sorry, if there are deals in November (which there always are), why risk sailing in September? But that's just me ....

Al

Archived