Where you ever scared to cruise

jenndun

I have been so excited about my cruise next week. Then all the sudden I started thinking about all the stuff that could happen. And about being in the middle of the ocean. I kind of scared myself. Had to take a few deep breaths and remind myself how much fun I will have. In the back of my mind I'm still a bit scared. Maybe I shouldn't have watched the Titanic documentary this close to sailing.

I have been so excited about my cruise next week. Then all the sudden I started thinking about all the stuff that could happen. And about being in the middle of the ocean. I kind of scared myself. Had to take a few deep breaths and remind myself how much fun I will have. In the back of my mind I'm still a bit scared. Maybe I shouldn't have watched the Titanic documentary this close to sailing.

.....to cruise anywhere.

wasiii

Maybe I shouldn't have watched the Titanic documentary this close to sailing.

DEFINITELY don't watch The Poseidon Adventure either!

I have never been afraid to cruise. However, my brother kept teasing about wearing his life jacket for the whole cruise before we went a couple years ago. I really do think that he was scared and just going along for his wife's sake. One look at that huge ship and he was hooked! Can't stop talking about going again!

Relax , Find a DOD sit back in a lounge chair.

Listen to the music. There is nothing more relaxing ;).

I took my first cruise in 2007 and was not happy about going! My sister who would do anything in the world for me kept begging me to go on a cruise with her. I finally felt so guilty that I finally said yes. I told her I would take 1 and 1 only! I went with alot of apprention! We are now planning our 3rd cruise. I love cruising.

I'm a big worrier myself, but I've never had a worry about cruising. Just go and have fun!! After a day at sea, all those fears will be trivial. :)

OP I was terrified before my first cruise. I'm caustraphobic and I was thinking OMG I'll be in the middle of the ocean on a ship, I won't be able to just get off and walk away if I hate it. I also have balance problems because I have a cochlear implant and I just get really off balance, I was afraid I'd not be able to stand the motion or get motion sick. Just tortured myself.

My husband wanted to go and I wanted to make him happy. So I drugged myself and went. ROFL OMG this is like nervana, no stress, no worry. The ocean is so beautiful and relaxing to just sit on your balcony and listen to the waves. Never a worry about being unable to get off, although I hyperventilate every day before last at getting off the ship ;)

Balance and seasickness was never an issue either, that rocking motion is the BEST for falling asleep at night.

I am totally hooked and I'm the one that can always just not wait for the next cruise...........

You'll be fine, relax.

Cheers, Carole

I was the very first time. I kept thinking Titanic - in the middle of the Caribbean no less - we hit very rough seas and I was freaking out. I kept feeling the ship go up and down and side to side - my best friend was ready to throw me over board after an hour of me getting up and turning the light on every 5 minutes to see if we were flooding - at 4am! She pretty much told me that if I touched that light again, I was going over board! She is much smaller then me but I believed her! She was pretty angry at me :o I ended up leaving the cabin and going up on deck and was able to see that we were not hitting any ice bergs and that the ship wasnt gonna capsize. I was able to sleep after that. I can laugh at it now...She and I are going on the Liberty in September and I have fore warned - :eek::D to behave.

I never got scared on my first cruise until the muster drill. Then all the thoughts came into my head. Then we set sail and all that was forgotten. Had the time of my life!!!!!

I never worried about me. It was about my kids going over. We didnt have a balcony til I felt comfortable with ds being responsible on it..:rolleyes: I remeber once the fog was so thick you couldnt see anything off the side of the ship, they were told they werent allowed on any open decks at all!

I know paranoid mom...

I was terrified the first time I cruised. I have anxiety and I thought of everything from "what if I get super sea sick?" to "what my appendix explodes?!" lol

I almost didn't want to get on!

Honestly though, once I got on the ship, there was so much to see and do and it was very easy to let go and have fun.

I know it's hard, but try not to stress. You will have an amazing time :)

DEFINITELY don't watch The Poseidon Adventure either!

I saw The Poseidon remake that came out about 6 years ago and it did scare me a little. Then I met someone who used to work on a ship and she put my mind at ease. BTW Tapi, I'm waving to you from across the way in Fairburn!

This cruise was the first time I started to worry! I worried about small things when I went on the first couple trips with my son. He was very small, and I was concerned about being away from medical care, him falling in the water by the pier (silly, since he was still stroller aged - 7 months and 14 months), life jackets not fitting should an emergency evacuation happen, riding in cabs at ports without proper car seats ... etc. Turned out to be silly worries for the most part, I even fell down some stairs with him when he was 7 months, and the medical team on Carnival was fantastic - even though I protected him well, they checked him over completely, and someone called on us a few times during the trip as well (all free of charge, as I fell when another passenger bumped me going down the staircase to muster - the cabin steward failed to tell me that families with little ones were not required to attend)... at any rate, everything was fine - we walked at every port, no need for a taxi ... etc.

This time I am a bit nervous, in the past 5 months I discovered that my 2.5 year old is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts ... so basically everything yummy is off limits. We never had a problem on past trips, since he didn't eat much other than prepackaged baby food and a bite or two of bread and pastas ... Now, I dunno ... I have epi-pens, and we have avoided any further issues at home, so I have no reason to believe I wouldn't be able to avoid them on the ship - not to mention past episodes haven't required an injection or medical intervention (though the allergist said that the last one definetly would have been serious enough to use the epi-pen) ... so this time, the lack of medical care is a bit frightening. But I guess, as long as there is a doctor or a military field medic, or a paramedic, or anyone capable of doing emergency ventilation, we are pretty much ok ...

So no, you aren't alone in feeling a bit apprehensive ...

jenn

I was also a little nervous before our first cruise. I was excited and scared at the same time. As soon as I walked onto the ship, I was in awe. There is so much to explore and do, I was at ease very quickly. The people from all over the world that you will meet are so friendly and try to make your cruise wonderful. Looking for jumping fish, dolphins, even watching the water for literally hours is so relaxing.

I listened to so many "horror stories" before we left and wasted so much time dwelling on what could happen. None of it did. One sure thing that did occur is developing an addiction to cruising. I think it's similar to an expectant mom being told of everyone's horror labor stories, it's just rude and inconsiderate to trouble someone with things like that. I now ignore stories about what people imbellish and look forward to going again. Things can happen at home as well, just think about what wonderful places you will see, the great food you will have (I graze all day) and concentrate on a great trip. I know it's easier said than done, but so many of us went through what you're feeling.

Have a great trip.:)

I have never been scared about the ship or something happening to it when I am out at sea. However, I can usually think of a ton of things that will keep me from boarding the ship. I always start to think that something will be wrong with my ID or I didn't book the correct spelling or there will be a freak blizzard in Atlanta that will keep my plane from flying. I could go on and on. It isn't some massive phobia, just something that stays in the back of my head until I am actually on the ship.

This cruise was the first time I started to worry! I worried about small things when I went on the first couple trips with my son. He was very small, and I was concerned about being away from medical care, him falling in the water by the pier (silly, since he was still stroller aged - 7 months and 14 months), life jackets not fitting should an emergency evacuation happen, riding in cabs at ports without proper car seats ... etc. Turned out to be silly worries for the most part, I even fell down some stairs with him when he was 7 months, and the medical team on Carnival was fantastic - even though I protected him well, they checked him over completely, and someone called on us a few times during the trip as well (all free of charge, as I fell when another passenger bumped me going down the staircase to muster - the cabin steward failed to tell me that families with little ones were not required to attend)... at any rate, everything was fine - we walked at every port, no need for a taxi ... etc.

This time I am a bit nervous, in the past 5 months I discovered that my 2.5 year old is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts ... so basically everything yummy is off limits. We never had a problem on past trips, since he didn't eat much other than prepackaged baby food and a bite or two of bread and pastas ... Now, I dunno ... I have epi-pens, and we have avoided any further issues at home, so I have no reason to believe I wouldn't be able to avoid them on the ship - not to mention past episodes haven't required an injection or medical intervention (though the allergist said that the last one definetly would have been serious enough to use the epi-pen) ... so this time, the lack of medical care is a bit frightening. But I guess, as long as there is a doctor or a military field medic, or a paramedic, or anyone capable of doing emergency ventilation, we are pretty much ok ...

So no, you aren't alone in feeling a bit apprehensive ...

My daughter (over 21) is also allergic to peanuts. We talked to the dining room staff about it and everynight they sent someone to our table to go over the next days menu with her. They also made sure that her food was cooked in a peanut free zone. It was the other food areas that we had to be very careful at. All went well and she loved the food!

I've never been scared to actually cruise, but I am phobic of germs and throwing up (especially that.) Now, I personally DO NOT get seasick, however, the phobia causes major anxiety that mirrors the feelings of seasickness, so thats what scares me. It's also safe to say that Noro is my biggest fear while onboard:eek:, however, most of the time I'm sailing, I'm okay, but there is usually one night mid-cruise where I'm in full panic mode, and it is awful trying to keep myself calm!

Wow! I am going on my first cruise in October and I have to admit that I've had a couple simi panic attacks already.. Just letting my mind go places it shouldn't. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with these fears.. and even happier to know that others that have had these feelings say that once your on the ship your fears dissapear! The good news is that my appendix already "exploded" in December... and 3 weeks ago had to have my gallbladder removed urgently.... So.. Hey.. Now that we got that out of the way.. it should be smooth sailing!! right?? LOL..

Thanks for posting this.. I really do feel better reading these replies..

Cheers!

The good news is that my appendix already "exploded" in December... and 3 weeks ago had to have my gallbladder removed urgently.... So.. Hey.. Now that we got that out of the way.. it should be smooth sailing!! right?? LOL..

Wow I would really recommend getting some travel insurance just in case...

Relax and enjoy have some drinks....Make sure you enjoy the beaches.....:eek::D:eek:

I saw The Poseidon remake that came out about 6 years ago and it did scare me a little. Then I met someone who used to work on a ship and she put my mind at ease. BTW Tapi, I'm waving to you from across the way in Fairburn!

Hey gapearl I'm waving at you in Fairburn! Now that's crazy......:D My 1st experience on a ship was crazy I was so scared on my Navy ship till I could'nt sleep for a couple of days until... I was on duty in the galley and burned myself cooking bad.. My watch captain sent me to bed immediately after they sent me to the ships doctor.(lol) Have'nt looked back since.;)

Hi,

I love cruising....but in the back of my head I do get the "what if's".

I've had great sailings.....but i get nervous about rogue waves, storms, tipping over....yes....one of my "nightmares".

Anyway i digresss.......OP....you will be fine. BTW.....I also worry one day a meteor will hit the earth:o

Go have a great cruise.....Yes you get that "dust in the wind" feeling looking out at the ocean....yet that is my very favorite thing to do.

K

We cruised on our first cruise in March on the Dream. The size of the ship scared me a little initially. The only thing I tried not to think about was where my children were (Camp Carnival, Lido deck) when I was at the other end of the ship and if something were to happen.......:eek:! But we had a terrific time and everyone wants to go again!:D

Archived