Room service and adding something

tigercat

I was looking at the room service menu for the Glory and noticed that it did not include anything hot. I really like the grits on the ship and was wondering if I could just add that to the menu would they send it?

tigercat

WOW!! Reminds me not to post in the middle of the night......must not be a true night owl with that answer. Needed to be sleeping! Menu is what you see, not much will be substituted or added. MDR or Lido is the answer for your grits/hot food. As said above, get it and take back to your cabin. We have done this and enjoyed on the balcony many times. :)

Kat

From my experience, they can only send what's on the menu. In fact you order by number, not by saying what you actually want. The person taking the order would probably be confused if you try to order anything else, as they don't generally speak english well.

You can always run up to the buffet to grab hot items you want and bring them back to your room.

We call grits FARINA in the north.

They have it on board all ships I have sailed, but you may have to twist an arm to have it delivered to your cabin.

Then, there's the controversy of what one puts on their grits.

It was my understanding that room service did not serve any hot items due to health reasons and timing of items getting to the room.

We use room service first thing in the morning as a wake up call. We order coffee, danish and fruit before we go bed to be delivered at a certain time. This tides us over (read COFFEE) until we can get ready and go to the MDR/Buffet for a real breakfast.

Our kids have used room service late into the night when they were not in the mood for pizza.

We call grits FARINA in the north.

They have it on board all ships I have sailed, but you may have to twist an arm to have it delivered to your cabin.

Then, there's the controversy of what one puts on their grits.

Bacon and cheese on mine!

Back to the OP question~I have found that the staff that answers the room service calls have a difficult time understanding me -it might be my southern accent- but I always have to order by number, so you might have a hard time getting them to understand what you want.

MrCo9- take a deep breath-now isn't that better!

From my experience, they can only send what's on the menu. In fact you order by number, not by saying what you actually want. The person taking the order would probably be confused if you try to order anything else, as they don't generally speak english well.

You can always run up to the buffet to grab hot items you want and bring them back to your room.

So do you really call in breakfast? I've only done the hang the order on the door thing. I think the OP should just try it to see and not stress over it. I'm hoping for a boiled egg:p with my order.

How was it no help at all? He said you can only get what's on the menu, hence having a menu, and he gave an analogy to further his response.

Would you prefer to be the pot or the kettle because I think your response to him was equally of no help. :eek:

His response was uncalled for and rude, thus my reply to his post... ;).

Where on the other hand I included a polite response to the OP w/out uneccesary sarcasm. Defend all you like, but it seems others on this thread agree with what I stated !:rolleyes:

So do you really call in breakfast? I've only done the hang the order on the door thing. I think the OP should just try it to see and not stress over it. I'm hoping for a boiled egg with my order.

I've done both. Either way I'm willing to bet they won't send anything not on the menu.

Here are the breakfast and 24 hour room service menus:

Room Service Menu - Continental Breakfast

Continental Breakfast served 7:00am-10:00am.

Fruit

• Fresh Melon
  • Citrus Segments
  • Bananas

Breakfast Breads

• Toast white
  • Toast wheat
  • Muffin
  • Danish
  • Croissant
  • Bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon

Cereals

• Raisin Bran
  • Corn Flakes
  • Smart Start
  • Kellogg’s Smacks
  • Corn Pops
  • Fruit Loops
  • Mini Wheats
  • Rice Krispies
  • Frosted Flakes
  • Low Fat Granola
  • All Bran
  • Cripix

Condiments

• Half & Half
  • Lemon
  • Margarine
  • Butter
  • Cream Cheese
  • Jelly and Marmalade

Beverages

• Freshly Brewed Coffee, regular or decaffeinated
  • Hot Tea, regular or decaffeinated
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Chocolate Milk
  • 2% Low Fat Milk
  • Skim Milk

Juices

• Orange juice
  • Tomato juice
  • Apple juice
  • Grapefruit juice

Natural Spring Water is available in your cabin for a nominal fee.

24 Hour Room Service Menu

Sandwiches

Roast TurkeySandwich

Ham and Cheese Sandwich

Grilled American Cheese Sandwich

Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

The above Sandwiches are available on White Bread, Whole Wheat Bread or Rye Bread

Medium Rare Roasted New York Strip Loin and Brie Cheese

In Oven Fresh French Baguette

Grilled Fresh Mozzarella and Portobello Mushrooms

In Focaccia with Zucchini and Basil Aioli

Grilled Reuben Sandwich with Corned Beef

Swiss Cheese and Sauerkraut

Chicken Fajita, Guacamole and Crisp Greens

In a Jalapeno and Tomato Wrap

Open Faced Shrimp Salad Sandwich

On French Roll

Hot Pastrami Sandwich

In Rye Bread with Fresh Pickle

Creamy Tuna Salad

On Toasted English Muffin

All Sandwiches are Served with Potato Salad or Coleslaw, Potato Chips or Pretzels

Miscellaneous

Mixed Greens Garnished with Tomato, Cucumber, Radish and Red Onions

Served with Choice of Ranch, ThousandIsland, Italian, Oil and Vinegar

Blue Cheese or Fat Free Honey Mustard Dressing

Caesar Salad

Hearts of Romaine Lettuce Tossed with our Caesar Dressing

Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese, Anchovies and Herb Croutons

(Also available with Grilled Chicken Breast, or Broiled Salmon Fillet)

Assorted Vegetable Sticks

Blue Cheese Dip

Room Service Menu

Desserts

New York Cheesecake - Crème Caramel

Chocolate Cake – Fresh Fruit Salad

Strawberry or Plain Yogurt

Beverages

Orange - Tomato - Apple – Grapefruit Juice

Regular Coffee - Decaffeinated Coffee - Hot Tea - Iced Tea

Hot Chocolate - Milk - Skim Milk - Chocolate Milk

Bottled Spring Water is Available in Your Stateroom for a Nominal Fee

Bar Service Menu at Regular Bar Prices

Available 24 Hours Soft Drinks

Coca Cola - Diet Coke - Sprite - Diet Sprite

Club Soda - Ginger Ale - Tonic Water

Domestic Beer

Budweiser - Bud Light - Miller Lite

Coors Light - Michelob Ultra

Imported Beer

Heineken – Corona

Beck’s – Amstel Light

Stateroom service is available 24 hours daily by dialing 8000

Full stateroom bar service is available from: 9:00am to 3:00am by dialing 8000

Must be 21 or older to order alcoholic beverages

I'm confused I see steak, fajitas and hot pastrami on that list. So they must deliver some hot foods with room service.

Yes, but ONLY what's on the menu. If you can't just randomly order stuff you like. A lot of this stuff is fast-cooked on the grill, slow-cooking, holds well in a chaffing dish, or is pre-packaged for a run through the microwave.

I know on Princess we were able to 'write' in some stuff on the breakfast door hanger menu - like hot oatmeal - which was always delivered.

Tried it on Carnival a couple of times with no luck. From what I understand there is a 'special galley' (deck 6) for room service foods and they only have what they have so to speak so are unable to grab a hot dish or something else you might want which does not appear on the menu.

...We call grits FARINA in the north...

...Then, there's the controversy of what one puts on their grits.

Pete,

"Farina" and "grits" are not really interchangeable terms.

"Farina" is usually made with wheat. Technically, though, at least according to the definition quoted below, it could be any grain cereal, including oats or even corn, though I have never heard of such.

"Grits", however, are never made from anything but corn (hominy). Just so ya know! ;)

Oh, and butter & salt on mine please (grits, not farina!)! :)

Noun

farina - fine meal made from cereal grain especially wheat; often used as a cooked cereal or in puddings

Noun

grits - coarsely ground hulled corn boiled as a breakfast dish in the southern United States

It is Simple:

If it is on the Menu it is available.

Room Service Coffee in the Morning is great. Just hang the form on your door the night before and it will be delivered at the time specified.

Looking forward to my Morning Coffee out on the Balcony next week on board the Conquest.

We sailed Holland America, where you could write just about anything down and you would get it the next morning. Our very next cruise was Carnival, where we tried the same thing (having eggs benedict delivered promptly at wake-up time was devine). No dice.

So, we just fill out the little card for a few pastries, coffee, and some fruit to tide us over until we can get cleaned up sufficiently for breakfast.

Just a little tip: I always travel with a roll of ziplock bags. I save any leftover pastries in the ziplock bags for snacks later in the day. It's kind of nice to have a little nibble later in the afternoon while sitting on the balcony.

I've done both. Either way I'm willing to bet they won't send anything not on the menu.

SOOOOOOOOOO, THAT explains my difficulty in getting fresh celery (for the smuggled Bloody Mary) and olives for the 2 martini lunch delivered.

After 4 or 5 tries, I finally spelled them for her, and both were delivered on the tray ~~!!~~

since the room service menu is 24 hours a day, can you call at 600 am for a BLT or anything else from the full menu and get it in less than 1 hour?

Other lines do not provide the full room service menu during the busy hours of breakfast.

thanks for all the info!

Archived