JJ, Danilo or Your Lucky Tour? Canal trip worth it?

Alsmez

I've been gathering info from all three outfits and they all sound great. We're planning to do the zipline/banana plantation trip, and all three offer it. JJ's trip also includes a boat trip up the Tortuguera Canal, but it's $25-30 more than the other two. For those who've done the canal, was it worth the extra money? I did a zipline in Costa Rica a few years ago and we saw plenty of wildlife on the way there, so I don't necessarily feel the need to add a canal trip just to see more wildlife. Has anyone done a tour with more than one of these guys - if so, could you provide a comparison? Thanks!

I've been gathering info from all three outfits and they all sound great. We're planning to do the zipline/banana plantation trip, and all three offer it. JJ's trip also includes a boat trip up the Tortuguera Canal, but it's $25-30 more than the other two. For those who've done the canal, was it worth the extra money? I did a zipline in Costa Rica a few years ago and we saw plenty of wildlife on the way there, so I don't necessarily feel the need to add a canal trip just to see more wildlife. Has anyone done a tour with more than one of these guys - if so, could you provide a comparison? Thanks!

We used Your Lucky Tour for a zipline/canal trip and along the way also got a tour of the city. We opted out of the banana plantation, we just didn't want to cut our time short. We all felt that we could have skipped the canal, since we saw A LOT more wildlife the day before in Panama. Plus, out boat was a 2 stroke so everytime he stopped to show us something, we about got gassed out. We would have enjoyed a fast trip through the mangroves without stopping. I have decided if I go back, I'd like to go to the Cahuita National Park.

I think you will find most people have been satisfied with whomever they chose, unless it was just a horrid experience. We thoroughly enjoyed our driver and Eduardo was very conscientious about making sure we were enjoying ourselves. Met us personally at the gate, introduced our driver, and even stopped at the zipline place after we were through to make sure we had had a good time.

Hey All........We just returned from our Carnival Miracle visit in Costa Rica and have a FABOULUS tour guide to recommend.....There were only 4 of us (although he would take 2 (or more) if that is what you have in your group).

We did the Rain Forest Tortuguera Canal by boat and since there were only 4 of us it was pretty great because it was at our speed -- we saw the Cruise Ship boats with 100+ people on them and they looked pretty miserable, we then did the Del Monte Banana Plantation, stopped by a local fruit stand for sampling, went for a Beach Break at a local beach with a bar/restaurant, and then a city tour for some scenic photos....He even took us to a local grocery store prior to going back to the ship so we could buy Coffee and other necessities a bit cheaper than at the flea market at the port. We did the entire tour 6 hours for $35 per person and I know that he will personalize a tour to inlcude ziplining for your specific desires. This was my 3rd time to CR and we will definitely go back because of Jorge (pronounces "Horhay"!

He was not only a wonderful guide, he was an incredible human being. I received an email from him last week "Thanking" us for our visit and to let us know he prayed for our safe return. Let him know that Laura and Mama Kay sent you!!! I have had several people email me to tell me they have used him since my post and were beyond satisfied so you should have no worries.

His name is Jorge and you may contact him by email at

jorgel.cr@hotmail.com. Not sure what the specific endorsement rules are however, if for some reason CC edit's this post, please feel free to contact me directly at LauraBunts@aol.com. I also have his mobile number.

We used Your Lucky Tour for a zipline/canal trip and along the way also got a tour of the city. We opted out of the banana plantation, we just didn't want to cut our time short. We all felt that we could have skipped the canal, since we saw A LOT more wildlife the day before in Panama. Plus, out boat was a 2 stroke so everytime he stopped to show us something, we about got gassed out. We would have enjoyed a fast trip through the mangroves without stopping. I have decided if I go back, I'd like to go to the Cahuita National Park.

I think you will find most people have been satisfied with whomever they chose, unless it was just a horrid experience. We thoroughly enjoyed our driver and Eduardo was very conscientious about making sure we were enjoying ourselves. Met us personally at the gate, introduced our driver, and even stopped at the zipline place after we were through to make sure we had had a good time.

2 Cruzen, what did you do in Panama? I tried to contact Gold Coast tours about their kayak trip on Gatun Lake, but still haven't received a response. We aren't interested in a canal ferry or the train/bus to the Pacific side. Doesn't seem like there are a lot of other options, unfortunately. We may end up just staying on the ship if we can't find something else to do (not that that is a bad thing!).

• 2 months later...

Laura. We just got a quote from Jorge. He quoted $200 for the car only. He said that entry fees would be additional. Could you tell me how much you had to pay for the boat trip on the Tortuguero canals? Thanks.

he told me the canal is $10 per person. I contacted him after seeing that same post -- he quoted $150 for a cab holding 4 plus the canal entery fee for a 7 hour tour.

he said a 4 hour tour was $35 plus the $10 for the canal.

maybe the rates have gone up since her post?

he's been very responsive and we are planning to use him but I was confused by the discrepancy.

Thanks for the information Holly. It looks like Jorge's prices have gone up. We asked for a quote for 4 adults plus one small child in a van for a very short tour - mainly the Tortuguero canals boat ride plus a stop for lunch and a quick stop for coffee at a market. We will probably need around a 3 hour tour. His price of $200 plus unstated fees (boat ride + national park entrance fees:mad:) have made me decide to look further.

The cab only holds 4 people so with the child he would have to get a larger vehicle. I think that explains the price difference.

I asked him about the difference in price between Laura's tour and ours -- he very graciously explained that before he was working for a larger company and now needs to charge more for a private tour.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived