Is there anyway to avoid.....

We never do self-assisted luggage... we always put our luggage out the night before we get back to the states, and have never had any issues/problems with things missing from our luggage. We always lock our large suticase (with all of our clothes), and leave the other two rolling suitcases unlocked - all they have in them is shoes, cosmetics, etc...

For Alaska, though, we will be doing self-assist, as we have an early flight back to Florida.

if you're right, i might do this too. it just doesn't sound like a good idea to leave your stuff in the hallway

Its been done on all cruise lines for many DECADES. Over the years, there have been maybe a dozen complaints about problems. That compared with maybe 200 MILLION cruisers in the same period.

I have put my bags out, unlocked, on 50 cruises and checked my bags, unlocked, on over 2000 air flights. No problems. Unlocked because a thief can open my locked bag quicker than I can with a key. And I don't put valuables in them.

The most complaints I have seen is people that put a tag on an obvious box of liquor and put that in the hall rather than carrying it off. Well Duh!!!

we are so done with this discussion....:rolleyes:

Why? Honest people don't need to be deterred. Dishonest but unmotivated people probably would be deterred. Dishonest and motivated people will cut your bag to shreds or bust your locks off.

Leaving your luggage out the night before is really not anything for you to worry about. Both coming and going is always have my valuables in my carry-on.

Like a PP said you can carry all your luggage off and generally people who do this have early flights and stuff but it doesn't have to be early but it will get more and more congested. AND, you don't always have access to an elevator, in fact your RARELY have access to an elevator.

In the future if I'm going to do this I'm going to go the the highest deck that the forward elevators serve and get on their. Trying to find space on one from anywhere below emperess deck is a nightmare.

When we debarked the Ecstasy last month we decided for the 1st time to still do self assist, but wait until really late to leave, because we were staying in Galveston for the rest of the weekend. We assumed we would be debarking on deck 7 via the gangway, but unfortunately no and we had to walk down several flights of stairs to debark at pier level.

When we got inside the terminal there were probably 500+ people in a snake line before getting to the customs area. We had started this little fiasco at 10:30 and we didn't get through customs until almost noon.

Yes if I can remember correctly we did this as well and I had a HUGE suitcase to hall UP :eek:stairs. NEVER will I do that again!!!

When we debarked the Ecstasy last month we decided for the 1st time to still do self assist, but wait until really late to leave, because we were staying in Galveston for the rest of the weekend. We assumed we would be debarking on deck 7 via the gangway, but unfortunately no and we had to walk down several flights of stairs to debark at pier level.

When we got inside the terminal there were probably 500+ people in a snake line before getting to the customs area. We had started this little fiasco at 10:30 and we didn't get through customs until almost noon.

We sail out of Galveston frequently and used to do the self-debark, pulling our own luggage through that long line, just getting to the customs desk took forever. We've found if you grab a porter (self-debark or checked luggage) you get through a lot faster, and have found this to be true at other ports as well.

Yes if I can remember correctly we did this as well and I had a HUGE suitcase to hall UP :eek:stairs. NEVER will I do that again!!!

Just be aware that elevators wil be few and far between. So be prepared to possibly have to use the stairs if crowds or ship personnel cut down on availability.

It's ok to disagree.....but locks do deter honest people as another member said ! Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Coming up on 50 years of travel, no locked bags. 1.6 million air miles, 50 cruises, and even some train trips. No losses.

I have been robbed at gunpoint, but that didn't involve luggage or locks, or honest people.:eek:

Carry on is the only sz limit correct?

The rule is that ALL luggage carried onto the ship MUST be small enough to fit through the x-ray machine. I have no idea what the largest dimensions are that the machine can accommodate, but I'll bet someone here on the boards can point you to that information.

Here's an interesting video on how to open a locked suitcase with a ballpoint pen -- and when it's all said and done, there's no external evidence that the bag was ever opened. Check it out:

We never worry about what happens to our luggage or its contents -- anything valuable stays with us in the carry-ons. Let the porters schlep the bags!

We always carry our luggage off so we can get off the ship earlier and get started on the drive home. Self disembarkation goes right after the VIP's. They will call VIP's to exit the ship, then self disembarkation guests, then they will start calling by floor. We have never had a problem carrying off our own luggage.

when I missed the cutoff deadline to put out my family's luggage on the Valor this past February. I missed the midnight cutoff by 10 minutes! I heard them taking the bags at midnight but thought, "Surely they couldn't get them all that fast!" Yup. . .they were like lightning. I called guest services to see if there was anywhere I could take them to avoid self-debark but was told it was too late, luggage hold area closed!

The next morning was hot, miserable, and hellish carrying off the bags for a family of three while dealing with a cranky 6 year old who had to get up way earlier than normal. Never again for my family, but I do understand those who do it if they have to get off early or if they pack light.

[quote name='ava_girl_123']Leaving your luggage out in the hall the night before the cruise ends? I know people have done it tons of times and have had nothing happen but I just do not like the idea of it.. :(
What about that "Self disembarkment" thing?[/quote]

Remember also, unlike when you embark where they don't want you to lock your luggage (let's not start that discussion again though), there is no restriction of locking your luggage for disembarkment. I don't know if this makes you feel better, but it may be an alternative to lugging all you bags, especially on the gangplank.

I have traveled the world on cruise ships. Four cruises through Europe, 12 cruises to Carribbean and others. Have NEVER had a problem leaving luggage outside my door or having it ready to pickup when I depart. Life is too short to worry about such trival things. You probably have insurance if a bag ever was lost and one should never put valuable jewelry etc. in their suitcase. Cloths can always be replaced. BUT, as I have stated I have never had a problem and doubt you would ever have one either. Millions of us leave our bags outside the doors of cruise ships and are luggage is safe and waiting for us. Lighten up and enjoy life, there are much more important things to be concerned about in life than one's luggage. Enjoy your next cruise and adventure and you can leave your luggage in the hall with a 99.9% guarantee it will be safe and waiting for you. PS - Have never looked a suitcase either. As one reply stated, if they want in they will get in and then you will have a torn or cut suitcase.

Remember that the deadline for putting bags out is the deadline, not the time they start taking bags down to the hold. Usually, when you put yours out they are busy going up and down the halls collecting it. Usually it is out for only a few minutes to an hour or so. I use ziplock ties but still don't put anything out that is valuable. That's what my carry on is for.

I don't worry about it.

I have always left my bag outside the door last night, and have not had a negative experience. However, these days, with the dress code being a bit more relaxed ( ie elegant night, instead of formal ), I dont seem to have to pack as many clothes, so I am thinking from now on, I will try to confine my wardrobe to a smaller bag, and therefore, self disembark might be an option in the future. :)

[quote name='ava_girl_123']Carry on is the only sz limit correct?[/quote]

You may [I]carry-on(verb)[/I] any bag that is within the dimension limits stated on the Carnival website. The bag may not exceed the dimensions listed as the bag must fit thru the x-ray machine at the point of intitial embarkation. I take a pretty nice-sized suitcase, but it is probably a lot smaller than what many people check. I pick and choose carefully what I pack, and I pack light.

We just got off Carnival Legend and while we were packing, our cabin steward's assistant was in the hallway loading luggage at around 10pm. He told us to holler when we were done with our suitcases and he came down and got them right away. We watched them go on the luggage cart and hauled off. When we got off in Tampa the next morning, they were waiting for us. So if you are concerned you can always just wait till the loaders are in your hallway and personally hand it over.

[quote name='Nowisthetime1']I have traveled the world on cruise ships. Four cruises through Europe, 12 cruises to Carribbean and others. Have NEVER had a problem leaving luggage outside my door or having it ready to pickup when I depart. Life is too short to worry about such trival things. You probably have insurance if a bag ever was lost and one should never put valuable jewelry etc. in their suitcase. Cloths can always be replaced. BUT, as I have stated I have never had a problem and doubt you would ever have one either. Millions of us leave our bags outside the doors of cruise ships and are luggage is safe and waiting for us. Lighten up and enjoy life, there are much more important things to be concerned about in life than one's luggage. Enjoy your next cruise and adventure and you can leave your luggage in the hall with a 99.9% guarantee it will be safe and waiting for you. PS - Have never looked a suitcase either. As one reply stated, if they want in they will get in and then you will have a torn or cut suitcase.[/QUOTE]

ITA with this post and I have had the same experiences.

Wow...the things people worry about...I've been on about 16 cruises and it has never even crossed my mind to want to carry my own luggage off the ship because someone may possibly steal something from it. The entire cruise experience has spoiled me for a week, and there's no way I'm carrying ANYTHING off that ship if I don't have to.

But hey...its your decision. I just think that this being your first cruise you're unnecessarily worried about something that really isnt a big deal.

Hi there...
We just self-disembarked off the Destiny on Saturday and from the time we left our room, thru customs and off the ship was less than 20 minutes. Very simple and painless process, and that was at 8:30 in the morning!

We've always done self-assist because we usually have early flights and need to get off early. We're sailing on the Sensation in September, but have late afternoon flights. Can I still do self-assist and get off later in the morning, not with the official "self-assist group"? It's a short cruise and I won't have a lot of luggage, so for me self-assist seems the easiest.

Thanks!

Archived