GTY Stilllll??? Leaving in less than a month!!

i dont know maybe im freaking for no reason but i just called ncl because i still do not have an assigned cabin just a guarenteed (yeah i spelt that wrong:rolleyes:) category and the woman said that they wont assign it until people cancel!! what if no one cancels???

do i not get to go on my cruise or

do i get stuck in an inside cabin??

i paid for a balcony!!

maybe its just me but i do not like not knowing its driving me up a wall:eek:

any advice??

i dont know maybe im freaking for no reason but i just called ncl because i still do not have an assigned cabin just a guarenteed (yeah i spelt that wrong:rolleyes:) category and the woman said that they wont assign it until people cancel!! what if no one cancels???

do i not get to go on my cruise or

do i get stuck in an inside cabin??

i paid for a balcony!!

maybe its just me but i do not like not knowing its driving me up a wall:eek:

any advice??

If you don't like not knowing, then you should not have booked a guarantee. Lots of times those aren't assigned until a week or so before the cruise, and sometimes not until the pier!

Relax, a guarantee means you will get at least the balcony category that you booked and paid for. And you might get an upgrade, or an offer for an upsell. But a month ahead is too soon to be looking for an assignment.

LOL ok...i didnt book it my mother did so i will let her know to be aware that this is what happens when she does a guarentee :rolleyes:

last cruise i did we had the room number right away so i guess thats what im use to.....

thank you for the advice;)

I'm sailing in 4 months and I already have my room assigned. I booked an inside guarantee and ended up with one of the worst rooms on the ship (from what I can gather reading on this website). I'm thinking about forking over the money to upgrade to a balcony.

Guarantees are gambles.

Since I am not picky in which cabin I am assigned, I always book guarantee for the savings. I usually book around 4-6 weeks before a cruise, after the final payment date. Sometimes I am assigned a cabin within a few days, sometimes not until the final few days, and then more than half of the time I am assigned another cabin when I arrive at the pier.

With guarantees you must accept any cabin assigned whenever...

If you are picky in which cabin you are assigned, don't book guarantee...

I'm sailing in 4 months and I already have my room assigned. I booked an inside guarantee and ended up with one of the worst rooms on the ship (from what I can gather reading on this website). I'm thinking about forking over the money to upgrade to a balcony.

Guarantees are gambles.

see and that is what im afraid of :confused:

im afraid because of reading other posts on here that they will somehow place me out of my cateory and into a lower category and i will lose money

im afraid because of reading other posts on here that they will somehow place me out of my cateory and into a lower category and i will lose money

They won't place you outside of your category.

You CANNOT be placed LOWER that the category you are guaranteed for... They will do everything possible to place you in that category, even upgrade someone else from that category who paid more than you to a higher category to make room for you. In the end, if they don't have a balcony for you (they will.. trust me) then you yourself will be upgraded to something higher... like a mini-suite.

The worst case scenario is a cabin in a location that you might not have picked yourself, but still has all of the features that you paid for. The best case scenario is that you get upgraded beyond what you paid for. It's a good bet. :)

It could be assigned at anytime and might not even happen until you get to the port. In any event, I have never, ever read about somebody that did not get to cruise because of oversold situation. I am sure it must happen, but trust me, people love to come here and complain when something goes bad.

You will get a cabin, and it will your category or higher. Come back and let us know what happened.

(and the great time you had)

On my last cruise there were two woman who got their room assignment at the pier on the Gem Transatlantic. They had a balcony guarantee and as none were open they were given courtyard villa A3. What a score. i was in courtyard villa as upsell r

It could be assigned at anytime and might not even happen until you get to the port. In any event, I have never, ever read about somebody that did not get to cruise because of oversold situation. I am sure it must happen, but trust me, people love to come here and complain when something goes bad.

You will get a cabin, and it will your category or higher. Come back and let us know what happened.

(and the great time you had)

I booked a guarantee for the March Spring Break Jewel cruise and was assigned a room about 20 days prior to departure. I upselled to another guarantee for a different category ocean view and found out my room two days prior to departure just as the manifest closed. I got onboard and said to heck with that room and upsold myself to a balcony! :D

Thank you everyone. Im sure i will have a great time no matter what room im in, its just when the rep told me that they have to wait for cancellations i freaked out lol!!

what would we do without cruisecritic?? the people on here are more informative then some of the people that work for the cruise lines :D

Thank you everyone. Im sure i will have a great time no matter what room im in, its just when the rep told me that they have to wait for cancellations i freaked out lol!!

what would we do without cruisecritic?? the people on here are more informative then some of the people that work for the cruise lines :D

That's understandable, I would have freaked out too. Having been bumped on planes before due to oversells the "Have to wait for a cancellation" thing would have had me upset and worried too. :)

BTW, I like your username. LOL

They will NOT put you in a lower category!

However, you could end up with the 'worst' room in the category you booked. For example, if you booked an OceanView category the best ones are mid-ship. The 'worst' in that same category are in the bow or perhaps under the galley or something else noisy.

So you will not get a lower category but could get a cabin in your category that is not in a good location. That is the chance one takes when a guarantee is booked.

But it's called a guarantee since you are GUARANTEED you will get a cabin in the SAME category you booked -- or higher.

I booked a guarantee for the March Spring Break Jewel cruise and was assigned a room about 20 days prior to departure. I upselled to another guarantee for a different category ocean view and found out my room two days prior to departure just as the manifest closed. I got onboard and said to heck with that room and upsold myself to a balcony! :D

I will NEVER cruise in anything less than a balcony again. Majesty, ocean view did not cut it with us. I have learned I must have a balcony or it is not a cruise to me.

Guarantees are gambles.

Try calling your TA or NCL (whoever you booked with) and ask if there are any other cabins available in the category you were assigned. They may let you move or like you said, just upgrade yourself if you're that unhappy. Good luck!

Try calling your TA or NCL (whoever you booked with) and ask if there are any other cabins available in the category you were assigned. They may let you move or like you said, just upgrade yourself if you're that unhappy. Good luck!

I upgraded myself. It ended up costing about $700 (for 2 people), but I now have a balcony room on deck 9 mid-ship.

I'm sailing in 4 months and I already have my room assigned. I booked an inside guarantee and ended up with one of the worst rooms on the ship (from what I can gather reading on this website). .

YEP i got the same last year for my cruise last dec...NEVER will i book GTY again...it ENDED up GREAT in the END i got an OV...booked an inside but wont take the CHANCE again:)

Some have said that i might not know my room number until the actual day of sailing...

last yr on princess they actually checked my luggage in and took my bags away before i actually checked in

what happens if i dont have a room number until the sailing day? since i havent sailed with ncl before do they take the luggage first before i check in?

where will my luggage wind up without a room number on the luggage tag if this situation were to occur?

Archived