Ketchikan - distance Dock 4 to downtown?

mimii

Hello! We're in the process of planning our day in Ketchikan....

I've read that Ketchikan is small and the docks are near the main attractions on the walking tour. However, from my research, it appears our ship (Diamond Princess, 7/29/10) will dock at "Dock 4," and that seems to be quite a distance from the other docks near the downtown area we want to explore (Creek St., Cape Fox Funicular). I'm making this statement based on MY interpretation of a map, and NOT on any actual distance or time measurement.

Our time in port is only 10am-6pm, and we have selected excursions from 12 to 4 (Saxman, then lumberjacks; departing from the ship), so I'm trying to guage how much we can actually fit around those times for our visit downtown.

I would like to know how much time (or distance) I can expect it to take from Dock 4 to the Totem Heritage Center, which is probably the farthest we would want to reach on our walking tour. I'd love to see that before we go on our totem excursion, but we'd have to leave the ship at 10 and be back by 11:30 for the excursions.

Thank you for your help.

Mimii

We were on the Diamond Princess last summer. Dock 4 is quite a little hike from the ship to, lets say the Eagle Totem pole, if you can see that on your map. That is just at the beginning of the downtown area. I would say 4-5 long blocks at any rate. They do have little shuttles at Dock 4 that you can take into downtown proper. Once you get to where that Eagle Totem is, that is where the walking and the looking at various points of interest start. I would say Creek Street is another 6 blocks from that totem.

Do you have any mobility limitations?? If not, then it's a 5-10 (slow going) minute walk to the dock visitor center. Allow 20 minutes to the Totem Heritage Museum.

IF you get yourself going, and off the ship as soon as it clears, you can make it to the Totem Heritage Center, and take a look inside. You don't need to be back at 11:30am, 11:50am is still very doable.

Then after your lumberjack show, do the funicular, Married Man's trail etc. (if you go to Park, then turn right to head back downtown) Then back to ship.

We are 2 retired couples that plan on going around Ketchikan on our own. One of us will use a scooter and another has minor mobility issues. What's the best plan? I've done some research and Creek St., Totem Heritage Center (or Totem Poles that we can see), and the Funucular are things that would interest us. We will be there June 17, on the Rotterdam from 7am to 1pm. Any suggestions and comments woud be most appreciated. I have learned so much from CC in the past. This is a great board!

Oh I agree with "hillside" - the boards have helped me so much!

Thanks to both of you, "want to retire" and "Budget Queen." I've copied BOTH of your valuable responses to take with me as we explore Ketchikan.

BQ, I've read and taken into consideration so many of your recommendations across the boards, and now you're answering my own questions! Thank you for your constant support here.

We do not have any mobility problems, and I didn't know we could cut it so close for the excursion, so we should be fine. We're traveling with my in-laws, who are apparently much more fit than we are!

Mimii

Archived