Smelly Jewel

Got off the Jewel on Monday....3 days, left on Friday....there was the most disgusting smell as soon as we boarded and did not stop till midnight...when I approached staff they could not give me any answers as to what it was...has anyone ever experienced this...it smelt like sewerage???

yes one smells sewerage on all the OLD ships. On the Jewel, our hallway smelt of diesel fuel as well - 2 unpleasant smells :eek: and thats why we dont sail very far on old ships!!

Well, having sailed on an "OLD" ship I can't say that i have smelt anything that stunk, whether it be sewerage or diesel...

I can think of a few unpleasant smells related to cruising, although, i think its that smell that you experience when the thied washes in each night. Not excluding the odd person here or there that thinks their excrement could not possibly smell...

Never heard of anything like it, maybe someone hit the loo pretty hard and the vents couldn't handle it haha

All old/P&O ships i've been on smelt great... no sewerage or diesel at all :|

Bad smells are pretty common on all ships that I have sailed on - Navy included. There are 3 sources - black water, grey water and bilge water. I suspect that most of the smells I have gotten a whiff of are bilge smells. Bilge water, like grey water, "mature" with time - and can get rotten. :)

Barry

yes its common of P&O ships and they do have some trouble of this sort on other lines but not as much.

Last time I was on the Pacific Dawn we had a terrable smell, like sewerage in the hall outside our room, it turned out to be a dry water trap thingy, they fixed it but the smell only reduced in severity. the year before we also cruised on the dawn, and we had a smelly drain in the bathroom, we put some washing powder down the drain and it fixed it.

It seems it's not only old ships that are smelly - Carnival Dream entered service last September:

A poster (Name removed as it is NOT my post) says:

April 6, 2010

I just got home on Sunday from my cruise on the Carnival Dream….I would NOT sail with Carnival again after last week’s experience. The smell is very foul and we most certainly smelled it 3 or so out of the 7 day cruise. The first time we smelled it was the first day on the boat in the serenity (all adult) area. The smell was extremely bad!! I also do not think the overall cleanliness of the boat was up to par (deck around pool areas, under chairs, etc.). Our dinner service was hit or miss every night – sometimes the food was good, sometimes it was not so good….but the service from our waiter was HORRIBLE. Seems like she just couldn’t get the hang of it! Tried to go to one of the shows (30 min early) and there was no place to sit. Did make it to the country show and left 15 minutes after it started – was horrible! Not very happy for the money we spent! Both St Marteen & St Thomas were awesome!

I have been on 3 diffrent ships and i have smelt that smell but it did not wreck my fun ... if ur going ona curise you should have fun and not worry about the little stuff as i said in a previous post

I have been on 3 diffrent ships and i have smelt that smell but it did not wreck my fun ... if ur going ona curise you should have fun and not worry about the little stuff as i said in a previous post

HEY DRELIX, how are you going, long time no hear.

Totally agree with you about the smell,when we were on the Jewel in March, it was so bad at the bar on Lido deck i asked the staff what it was and they told me sewerage smell was coming up through one of the sinks.(yuk)

I think they just might have been having a go at you. And they do it with such straight faces! :D

• 3 weeks later...
I am not bad living stone how are you i have been around just lurking and did not feel the need to post...

how did your last cruise go?

that was Aug last year, it was on the Pacific Dawn, weather was great sunny almost every day. missed the mystery island port due to bad weather, but of cause as soon as we were about an hour away sunny skys.

I noticed on the tour I did last saturday of the Pacif Jewel that some of the rooms had a bit of a damp smell about them, I also noticed that there was a build up of wet salt and some rust around the windows of the outside state rooms. this may be contributing to the slight old ship smell.

Smells certainly feature in a number of posts...I noticed an odour on Dawn Princess down one of the corridors come to think of it...just a whiff not overpowering...I thought it was someones last night curry playing up!

As long as my cabin is OK, no smells, smoke, sewerage or anything else...I'm good.

Those ionisers they use to remove smells work really well I am really sensitive to cigarette smoke and have never had a problem (touch wood).

Just got back Sat off the PJewel. There was an obvious smell on most decks every other day. One night all the cabins on our deck (9) had it most of the night. It was a sewage smell and fairly unpleasant when sleeping. This same smell was noticable on most decks at times but quite prevalent on deck 7 near toilets. It was replaced by a deisel smell, which to my friend was worse and so spent most of her time on Lido deck because of this. They did have air purifiers plugged in and this helped. The smell was tolerable though and didn't impact on our fun.

Just got back Sat off the PJewel. There was an obvious smell on most decks every other day. One night all the cabins on our deck (9) had it most of the night. It was a sewage smell and fairly unpleasant when sleeping. This same smell was noticable on most decks at times but quite prevalent on deck 7 near toilets. It was replaced by a deisel smell, which to my friend was worse and so spent most of her time on Lido deck because of this. They did have air purifiers plugged in and this helped. The smell was tolerable though and didn't impact on our fun.

I'll take some spray with us!

Did the Jewel have a library onboard? Was it reasonably well stocked?

I'll take some spray with us!

Did the Jewel have a library onboard? Was it reasonably well stocked?

Only had a quick look but it seemed to be filled and had a nice cosy feel to it and natural light.

Totally agree with you about the smell,when we were on the Jewel in March, it was so bad at the bar on Lido deck i asked the staff what it was and they told me sewerage smell was coming up through one of the sinks.(yuk)

Well the smell was still there Mid May, and by looking at another post, it was still there at the end of May.

On some days the smell was very ripe :mad:

Maybe their tanks can't accommodate the amount of people they sell tickets to.

Maybe P&O should request that passengers only have bowel movements on every other day. :D :eek:

Archived