All Things Splendor

Here's a link to 314 photos of the Splendor -- I didn't take them, so I don't know who to give the credit to, but I found them very useful and fun to look at when we were planning our cruise aboard Splendor.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CruiseEscapesPhotos/CarnivalSplendorSFO#

I will probably go on Splendor this fall....thank you so much..I just found this post and the Splendor and San Francisco pictures are just fabulous.

Have been on Splendor twice. It's not always sushi. Several nights they serve tapas (tiny bites with a Mediterranean theme). If you love sushi, I'm afraid you will be disappointed. It is not what you might expect. California roll, unagi (eel) and a few other cooked pieces of fish. None is raw.

The tapas were pretty good though and the sushi maybe not too authentic but it was good to stop there before dinner.

Thanks for the video link ... I enjoyed watching your Splendor trip! It helps to see the ship and ports from a passengers point-of-view ... looks like you had a good time! I look forward to watching your other videos as well. :)

You are very welcome, and I'm glad that you enjoyed my videos.

What are Tapas? Thanks!

Tapas is a Spanish seafood appetizer, or something like that. But I'll have to say that neither the sushi nor the tapas were good. In So Cal, you can go to your local Japanese restaurant and get much better sushi.

Dh,dd and i weree talking about our upcoming cruise in Jan. We were talking about all the food-lol! First time going on the splendor and was wondering is lunch better in the MDR or lido? Last cruise we only did MDR for dinner.

Looking forward to the shows and this time we will save some extra money for babysitting money so we can checkout some clubs and bars. Anyone know how much money it cost to leave dd in club circle c after 10pm???

The Super Late Night party is $26.00 for the first child and $14 for an additional child and that is on the last port day (Cabo). That is for the 9-11 group.

I am not sure how much regular babysitting is though outside of the late

night party.

The 12-14 group has activities that go later til 11:30 - 12:30 am but I am not sure if that costs anything. One night they play dodge ball until 12:!5

My signature includes links to the capers from January of 2010 and my review. The capers include the camp carnival papers for the 9-11 year olds and the 12-14 year olds.

I just read the capers from January. Thank you for posting the link to those.

I have a couple of Splendor questions.

1. Is there a chocolate buffet one day?

2. For the adult only serenity deck, do you have to have membership to the Spa rooms?

Thanks

I have started every morning for the past several years with a latte. :) Yes, I am from the Pacific NW, where we're serious about our coffee drinks! LOL.

I know the Splendor has a coffee bar--anyone know how much the specialty coffees are? I know I had lattes on the Spirit, but that was three years ago and I can't remember how much they were. Just want to make sure I'm not going to break the bank by having a latte each morning. ;)

Edited by midimarv

Your time dining...the Black Pearl...upper level...ask for Putri or Camilo section.

Hi Splendor friends ~

We are 'confirmed' for late seating....however, I'm curious about the two dining rooms....the "Black Pearl" and 'other ?'.....what is the difference...and what would be your preference?

Our room is on Empress deck....midship...guess that doesn't matter much....regardless of room location....the MDR is 'not right there' :p

For those of you who have cruised on the Splendor...here are my ?'s:

1) Which MDR did you have?

2) Would you request the same....and/or do we have a choice?

3) If there is a 'difference'...what is it?

4) There's 3 of us this cruise..(DH, 18yoDD, myself). Considering requesting a table for 3. Experiences and/or feedback on that?

5) Table or 'booth'? I see from pics, there are tables for 4 w/bench seating on one side and 2 chairs across. That's also the 'walk thru' area....anyone seated there feel like they were in a 'pedestrian/waiter freeway?'

We've always cruised w/larger groups of family & friends, so were seated with them. One cruise with just hubby & myself...seated at table for 8 w/other couples and it was nice meeting others, tho just a 4-night cruise. Since this is 7-night cruise, and celebrating DD birthday & graduation...look forward to being together...at home...we hardly ever have the chance to eat dinner together w/crazy work schedules, etc!

Thanks is advance for any feedback....I look forward to 'all'...I imagine there will be a variety of opinions....that's what I love about CC :)

Hi Splendor friends ~

We are 'confirmed' for late seating....however, I'm curious about the two dining rooms....the "Black Pearl" and 'other ?'.....what is the difference...and what would be your preference?

Our room is on Empress deck....midship...guess that doesn't matter much....regardless of room location....the MDR is 'not right there' :p

For those of you who have cruised on the Splendor...here are my ?'s:

1) Which MDR did you have?

2) Would you request the same....and/or do we have a choice?

3) If there is a 'difference'...what is it?

4) There's 3 of us this cruise..(DH, 18yoDD, myself). Considering requesting a table for 3. Experiences and/or feedback on that?

5) Table or 'booth'? I see from pics, there are tables for 4 w/bench seating on one side and 2 chairs across. That's also the 'walk thru' area....anyone seated there feel like they were in a 'pedestrian/waiter freeway?'

We've always cruised w/larger groups of family & friends, so were seated with them. One cruise with just hubby & myself...seated at table for 8 w/other couples and it was nice meeting others, tho just a 4-night cruise. Since this is 7-night cruise, and celebrating DD birthday & graduation...look forward to being together...at home...we hardly ever have the chance to eat dinner together w/crazy work schedules, etc!

Thanks is advance for any feedback....I look forward to 'all'...I imagine there will be a variety of opinions....that's what I love about CC :)

I'm not sure, but I don't think you get a choice of what dining room you use. I think its based on the location of your cabin on the ship. I'm not sure of the name, but my cabin was forward of the Atrium bar, so I dined in the dining room connected directly to the Atrium and just aft of the bar. The other dining room is aft of this one with a galley in between.

Except for location, I think the layout of the two dining rooms are for the most part identical.

I was at a singles table, but the bench seat with 2 chairs you mentioned was right next to us and I thought they were very nice. I didn't see a traffic problem for them at all. I would think this would be perfect for the three of you. There is a pic of a cruiser I met seated at one of these tables raising a bottle of wine in my WEBSHOTS below.

Others, I'm sure, will have more precise information for you. I hope you have a great cruise. :)

not sure, sorry.:(

2. For the adult only serenity deck, do you have to have membership to the Spa rooms?

No, you don't need any kind of membership, just need to be an adult. Children are not allowed.

Thanks

Enjoy the SPLENDOR. :)

Tapas is a Spanish seafood appetizer, or something like that. But I'll have to say that neither the sushi nor the tapas were good. In So Cal, you can go to your local Japanese restaurant and get much better sushi.

Yes, the tapas here in SoCal are hard to beat. Some of the best here (particularly love the squid:)), probably because of the strong Hispanic influence.

Parking is expensive at $12. per day but worth it.... every penny. It is so nice.

If you have lots of luggage.... you can first drive up to drop off your luggage and hand to a porter. If you want quick porter service just show them the tip money in advance and they will come running.

Also STOP ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE LANE for faster porter service.

If you look to the right side you will see a long line of people wanting to get porter service. Not a good idea to go there.

I just cruised on the Splendor 6/13. Parking is now $15-- total $105 for a 7-day cruise. It sure is convenient as LucyR said-- drop off big bags first with a porter (and/or drop off carryons and one or more family members too, in the same area), then park and it's just an elevator ride and a short walk from the parking structure to the terminal. Trick for finding your car when you return: press the panic button on your remote! (then press it again to turn off the honking!)

It's a beautiful ship with great food and service, friendly staff and crew. I've cruised on it twice already and have a third cruise coming up very soon!

I appologize if I missed this...

Currently in a 1A porthole in October. Does anyone know if a spa pass can be pre-purchased for the week??? Or a couple of days? If I am not in a spa room do I have a lousy chance of getting there??? This all will help me decide to "stay or go" on this one.

Thank you all.

I appologize if I missed this...

Currently in a 1A porthole in October. Does anyone know if a spa pass can be pre-purchased for the week??? Or a couple of days? If I am not in a spa room do I have a lousy chance of getting there??? This all will help me decide to "stay or go" on this one.

Thank you all.

It is the same as the Dream - $249/couple for the week This is for the Thallo pool and the special steam rooms. They do sell "daily passes" at about $30.00/day if they do not sell too many weekly ones. There is a limit on how many non spa cabin people can purchase a weekly/or daily passes. For us it was a waste - we went once making our 1 visit $124/each. It became a chore finding time to go to the Spa so we would get our money's worth, therefore we got there once. It was an experiment for us to see if we would use it or not. Would never buy one again. The Spa is great, just there is too many other things and places to go to make it worth the money for us.

This is our first cruise as a family. I went on one 12 years ago, so I have just merely wet my feet on a cruise. We are a family of 4: DH, myself, DS12 and DD 8. We are traveling on Splendor July 18-25..:D

I have a few questions:

1. Do children have to eat off the kid's menu. DS just doesnt get full on a kid's portion. How is the kids food?

2. I heard that we can bring 12 sodas/person. Is soda not offered at the MDR's?

3. On this thread I found a link to a dinig menu. Is that pretty standard? I like to plan what I am going to eat. This way I am not eating chicken 3 days in a row. I am kind of picky and dont like spicy food and I am alergic to mango. If I ask for them to hold the onions or no sauce, do they accomodate for these preferences?

4. What other options are there for dinner?

As you can see, so far I am worried about food!! LOL!! any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, there is a chocolate buffet one day during lunch on the lido usually later in the cruise. Usually by the time it happens, I am really too full from all the food to eat much of it.

The serenity deck is for all adults no matter if you have a spa pass or not, just watch out for wayward golf balls from above and other adults who don't realize what "serenity" actually means! :rolleyes:

This is our first cruise as a family. I went on one 12 years ago, so I have just merely wet my feet on a cruise. We are a family of 4: DH, myself, DS12 and DD 8. We are traveling on Splendor July 18-25..:D

I have a few questions:

1. Do children have to eat off the kid's menu. DS just doesnt get full on a kid's portion. How is the kids food?

2. I heard that we can bring 12 sodas/person. Is soda not offered at the MDR's?

3. On this thread I found a link to a dinig menu. Is that pretty standard? I like to plan what I am going to eat. This way I am not eating chicken 3 days in a row. I am kind of picky and dont like spicy food and I am alergic to mango. If I ask for them to hold the onions or no sauce, do they accomodate for these preferences?

4. What other options are there for dinner?

As you can see, so far I am worried about food!! LOL!! any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi, you will have a good time and do not worry about the food, they will serve it the way you like it and there are certain items available every day.

1) Children can eat off the kids menu or they can eat of the adults menu. We try and make our kids (10 and 13) eat off the adult menu most of the time so they can try new dishes. We never serve pumpkin soup, mango soup, or strawberry soup at home so they get to try it. If the kids do not see anything on the adult menu they like, then they can have an adult starter and a kids meal. Usually they order off the adult menu. If they want to order two starters and no meal, that is okay too. Trust me, your son will not go hungry!

2) Soda is available in the main dining room, but a bar staff member must bring it and you have to pay. Depending on home much soda you or the kids drink, get a soda card once you leave port, then you do not pay for soda anywhere on the ship. We usually bring some on-board for in the room, but otherwise we get a soda card for our son and he gets what he needs.

3) You will have lots of options everynight, some things are spicey but most things are not. You can also see the menu every day posted outside the dining room and if you dont see what you like at all, go to the lido or order a BLT from room service (these are always great!).

4) Other options are the lido with some of the same selections as the main dining room, 24 pizza and 24 hour room service. Trust me again, you won't go hungry.

My signature has my review of the splendor from January and the carnival capers showing you activities and dining options. There is also alot of food pictures so you can see how things were served in January.

Have a great cruise and don't worry, you will eat too much just like the rest of us!

It is the same as the Dream - $249/couple for the week This is for the Thallo pool and the special steam rooms. They do sell "daily passes" at about $30.00/day if they do not sell too many weekly ones. There is a limit on how many non spa cabin people can purchase a weekly/or daily passes. For us it was a waste - we went once making our 1 visit $124/each. It became a chore finding time to go to the Spa so we would get our money's worth, therefore we got there once. It was an experiment for us to see if we would use it or not. Would never buy one again. The Spa is great, just there is too many other things and places to go to make it worth the money for us.

Thank you..I'll see about that for one person..again thank you so much for the all the info.

For all you Splendor aficionados, can you tell me if on recent sailings they've had any scrapbook supplies in any of the shops? On our last cruise, there were quite a few different scrapbooks, papers, and such that were Carnival-branded and specific to the ports of call (Alaska cruise). Would love to get the same type of things for our Mexican Riviera cruise. :D

Thanks!

Jeff

Thank you so much for your help. I just read your review and it was great. My family and I loved the pictures and we cant wait to see it all in person.

What websites did you use to book your excursions?

Thanks!

nena

Jeff

Thank you so much for your help. I just read your review and it was great. My family and I loved the pictures and we cant wait to see it all in person.

What websites did you use to book your excursions?

Thanks!

nena

Nena,

We used this website to read all of the port discussions and we also read the cruise critic roll call to see what others were up to. After that, we typed in the port and tours into google and there are some good sites there.

When you find something that you are interested in, place a note about it in the roll call for your cruise or in the port forum here on CC and see if someone else has done that tour.

Also, do a search for that tour in the forums here and you will probably get some good information from people who did that tour in the past.

With 1000's of people in port every day a ship docks, someone has done what you want to do before for sure and no doubt they have raved (or complained) about it here!

You can also read many forum posts here about ship tours versus private tours so you will need to figure out if a private tour is for you or not. When we travel, as you can see by reading the review, we do activities for the whole family, so no one is left on the boat. If something happens and we miss the boat we are all in the same boat together without a paddle so to speak (sorry, could not resist the pun!).

Hope this helps, enjoy the cruise and send some ocean breezes up here to the great white north! Jeff

Edited by stay_or_go

I just cruised on the Splendor 6/13. Parking is now $15-- total $105 for a 7-day cruise. It sure is convenient as LucyR said-- drop off big bags first with a porter (and/or drop off carryons and one or more family members too, in the same area), then park and it's just an elevator ride and a short walk from the parking structure to the terminal. Trick for finding your car when you return: press the panic button on your remote! (then press it again to turn off the honking!)

It's a beautiful ship with great food and service, friendly staff and crew. I've cruised on it twice already and have a third cruise coming up very soon!

How do you pay? Do you pay at the time you park or once you get back and depart the garage?