Spirit Deck 9 and dolphins

I tried searching for this, but I couldn't find much.

I have a deck 9 balcony. I am hoping to see some dolphins or whales on my way from Boston to Bermuda. The lifeboats are on deck 8. Will I have a problem looking straight down at the water from my balcony?

Does anybody have recommendations on how to find dolphins that may be playing near the ship? Any spots on board that are good places to watch from? We are sailing at the end of August, which I believe is when they start migrating south.

I know it may be a longshot, but it will be fun just to look for them.

OK... not sure if you will see any wildlife across the atlantic, but no worries, the lifeboats on Deck 8 are tucked UNDER against the ship so that they do not block the view of anything above them. In other words... the lifeboats are directly UNDER the balconies of deck 9... not protruding from the ship.

We were on the Spirit's 4/30 Bermuda cruise. I did hear people talking about seeing dolphins, but I didn't see them. If you really want to experience dolphins, sign up for the dolphin swim. We did it and it was the highlight of the trip.

We were on the Spirit's 4/30 Bermuda cruise. I did hear people talking about seeing dolphins, but I didn't see them. If you really want to experience dolphins, sign up for the dolphin swim. We did it and it was the highlight of the trip.

We've thought about signing up for the dolphin experience.

I'm just hoping for the opportunity to see some dolphins in their natural habitat. I know that there is a slim chance of seeing them, but it's the search that's fun. We are planning on going on a whale watch over the summer, so that will be our opportunity to see some wildlife, but it would be cool to see them from our cruiseship.

They would have been migrating north during April, I am hoping to see some migrating south at the end of August.

we look for dolphins every trip and are usually successful (we go the 3rd week of june every year). we see them leaving bermuda about 4-5 hours after we depart - usually mid-late day when the sun isn't directly over head. they like to follow the ship back to boston. just need a lot of patience to stare out at the water for hours. then your brain starts seeing things... good to have a partner while doing this to verify whether or not you saw a mermaid...:p

we look for dolphins every trip and are usually successful (we go the 3rd week of june every year). we see them leaving bermuda about 4-5 hours after we depart - usually mid-late day when the sun isn't directly over head. they like to follow the ship back to boston. just need a lot of patience to stare out at the water for hours. then your brain starts seeing things... good to have a partner while doing this to verify whether or not you saw a mermaid...:p

Where do you go on the ship to do this searching? I've heard that the bow is the best, but is this accessible on the Spirit?

Just off the Spirit and we saw Whales about two hours after departing Boston (off the coast of Cape Cod).

We were up in Galaxy of the Stars in the very front of the lounge on both sides are little alcoves that provide excellent viewing all around.

Just off the Spirit and we saw Whales about two hours after departing Boston (off the coast of Cape Cod).

We were up in Galaxy of the Stars in the very front of the lounge on both sides are little alcoves that provide excellent viewing all around.

I was on the Spirit a few years ago but don't recall everything. Were these alcoves hanging off the side of the ship and surrounded by glass? I remember something like that on one of my cruises. Is the Galaxy of the stars where they have the "ships wheel"?

Before you do any type of swimming with dolphins or "dolphin experience", see the movie The Cove. I guarantee you will change your mind.

If the dolphins are swimming free in the open ocean, that's completely different. However, if they are not free to leave, you should stay away.

on the spirit, we had a midship balcony and hung out there. on the dream, there was a quiet back deck aft which allowed us to easily move from port to starboard as the dolphins kept changing sides. also, there are birds that usually were around the dolphins. helps to spot them! i think we were only lucky enough to see whales once (3 years ago?) and i think the captain announced it.. oh yeah, polarized sunglasses really help!

Before you do any type of swimming with dolphins or "dolphin experience", see the movie The Cove. I guarantee you will change your mind.

If the dolphins are swimming free in the open ocean, that's completely different. However, if they are not free to leave, you should stay away.

Thank you!!:):(:mad::rolleyes:

I was on an Alaskan cruise and we had a nice dolphin display in a dining room window. The dolphins were playing in the wake near the rear of the ship. My guess is anywhere along the ship where there is a wake, there's a chance to spot them.

We were on the Spirit end of July last year and saw a couple groups of whales on the way to Bermuda. It was either the first early evening or the following day. We had the OS (back of the ship) and the views from our balcony were great. The whales were portside and were breaching and blowing. Great fun to watch. We also saw lots of dolphins on the starboard side viewed from mid-deck 8 on our way back from Bermuda, soon after leaving all signs of Bermuda behind, if I recall correctly. If you look, you shouldn't have too much trouble spotting them. It's a wonderful sight indeed.

It seems as if everybody is telling me the same thing. There will be whales near Stellwagen Bank, which we will be passing by during the first evening after leaving Boston. I'll plan on being on watch during this time.

Do you get to see any Whales or dolphins when you leave out of NY? Does the time of year also matter? We are going in August out of NY do you think we have a chance of seeing them. We are in an Aft cabin

Archived