Celebration Cabin Upgrade

Can anybody help please?

We have booked a basic inside cabin on deck 1/2 with Thomson TA in January paying the full price and are now within 6 weeks of departure. We would like to upgrade to deck 3/4 outside or failing that deck 2 outside. We noticed that the price has dropped on the website by quite a lot for cabin upgrades and asked the TA about it but she said that they haven't dropped there and it would be full price.

My question is, can I phone Thomson direct and ask for the lower price and failing that can I upgrade on board if they have any spare capacity and would that be the full price or lower?

My TA keeps saying that as we payed full price we could be 'bumped up' when we get on board but I haven't heard anyone else saying that. So I'm suspicious that she is just trying to get rid of us and keep us quiet now they've got the balance.

Sorry to be so long-winded but we are unwilling to pay more when late bookers are getting all the perks (and good luck to them). Confused.:):)

Jan

Can anybody help please?

We have booked a basic inside cabin on deck 1/2 with Thomson TA in January paying the full price and are now within 6 weeks of departure. We would like to upgrade to deck 3/4 outside or failing that deck 2 outside. We noticed that the price has dropped on the website by quite a lot for cabin upgrades and asked the TA about it but she said that they haven't dropped there and it would be full price.

My question is, can I phone Thomson direct and ask for the lower price and failing that can I upgrade on board if they have any spare capacity and would that be the full price or lower?

My TA keeps saying that as we payed full price we could be 'bumped up' when we get on board but I haven't heard anyone else saying that. So I'm suspicious that she is just trying to get rid of us and keep us quiet now they've got the balance.

Sorry to be so long-winded but we are unwilling to pay more when late bookers are getting all the perks (and good luck to them). Confused.:):)

Jan

Hi Jan,

Sounds odd to me. I'd ring Thomson's and see if they'll sort it.

When we arrived on the dock in Tenerife to register in Dec. there were big signs on all the desks saying "No upgrades available" so I wouldn't count on that.

Berwyn

when i went on my first Thomsons cruise I booked through a TA and later phoned the Thomsons number for a cabin upgrade. Sorry they said, if you book through a TA the TA has to ring Thomsons to book the upgrade. The phone service is only for people who book direct themselves :confused:

So back to the TA who obliged but at the original price.

I would check this as I once got a upgrade for £14 which was a bargain. I would be suspicious that the TA would buy the upgrade at the discount price and sell it to you at the full rate :mad:

I know Thomson's may not be able to change it over the phone, but they could give advice and info for you to go back to the TA with.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow if only to clarify things as I'm really confused getting all these different stories from the TA. I think we'll stick to on-line booking in future as we seem to have done a fair bit of running around up to now and we've got to go back and pick up the tickets as well in a few weeks. I don't know why they can't just post them.:eek:

Jan

Hi Berwyn

I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow if only to clarify things as I'm really confused getting all these different stories from the TA. I think we'll stick to on-line booking in future as we seem to have done a fair bit of running around up to now and we've got to go back and pick up the tickets as well in a few weeks. I don't know why they can't just post them.:eek:

Jan

I agree about online booking next time. Now we know what we're doing.

Our TA messed up our booking we just did for Red Sea Magic and booked son on it the week before. The girl we normally deal with was off and one of the others did it. Our girl checked it when she was in next luckily and sorted it. We could have booked it online for more or less the same price and as one booking, not 2 separate ones as TA has done.

Berwyn

I agree about online booking next time. Now we know what we're doing.

Our TA messed up our booking we just did for Red Sea Magic and booked son on it the week before. The girl we normally deal with was off and one of the others did it. Our girl checked it when she was in next luckily and sorted it. We could have booked it online for more or less the same price and as one booking, not 2 separate ones as TA has done.

Berwyn

This was the first time we've used a TA for years but no longer. I don't know if you read the post re. the £50pp onboard credit. We spotted it on the website and made sure the TA tapped it through but another poster spotted it later and phoned the TA who said it was for online customers only which was absolutely not true so she missed out.

We booked the Island Escape online no problem with a cabin upgrade, got the tickets printed at the airport and went on the cruise with no confusion or messing about. I think if you have to double check everything you might as well do it yourself.

Do I sound bitter, lol.:D. Just a bit irritated that we couldn't get a discount on an upgrade when it's on the website. Why is it that if you put £126 in front of someone in another country they fall over backwards to help, practically inviting you to move in with them, but here they are just happy to say goodbye to your money. Strange!! I wanted to buy a carpet washer and went into a well known electrical store. As there wasn't one on display I asked if they could show us one but NO he wouldn't open a box for us. We took our £150 and went elsewhere and served them right.:eek::eek: It's a great carpet washer as well, lol.:D:D

Jan

Hi Jan,

Yes fully agree on all points. Now buy most of small household stuff on internet.

We only used TA as manager used to own the local TA just down the road.

He was forced to shut down and ended up managing local new First Choice. So we moved with him.

Now thinking about doing everything online in future. Looks like less hasstle.

Berwyn

Can anybody help please?

ASK THEM TO PRICE IT WITH THOMSON WHILST YOU ARE IN THE OFFICE

ON BOARD IT WILL BE AT THE FULL BROCHURE RATE WHICH IS VERY HIGH

RUBBISH - YOU ARE BEING FOBBED OFF - ONLY HAPPENS IF THERE IS A CABIN ISSUE OR DOUBLE BOOKING.

Jan

Please excuse the capital letters !

Hi Ecko

we're on the same week as you and noted the prices had dropped, a substantial amount for 3 cabins that we have booked.

We rang Thomsons today and they do not have a policy to reduce existing prices. So I fear that you may get charged full although I did note that the cabin upgrade price seems to change every time I look at it - so it may be a gamble to pick the right day to ask

Jan

Thanks everyone. It's certainly confusing. I tried to phone Thomsons tonight after looking inside the back page of the new brochure which says they are open from 9.00am to 9.00pm. Needless to say when I phoned at 8.30pm I got a message to say they were closed at 7.00pm. Speechless!!

Jan

Hi Ecko

we're on the same week as you and noted the prices had dropped, a substantial amount for 3 cabins that we have booked.

We rang Thomsons today and they do not have a policy to reduce existing prices. So I fear that you may get charged full although I did note that the cabin upgrade price seems to change every time I look at it - so it may be a gamble to pick the right day to ask

Jan

Hi Jan

We noted the reduction in cabin upgrade today after it went up from last Friday and asked for it in the TA. I don't see why they can't offer the lower upgrade price to customers who have paid the full price as it free's up the basic cabin for people who book very late and want the cheapest base price. We were led to believe that we could upgrade up to the last week and I mentioned to the TA at that time that we were looking for a reduction and she didn't say then that it would be the full price. Not happy.:( BUT I will phone Thomsons tomorrow and let you know.:)

Jan

Right,I`m :confused: by this thread(not difficult for me)so bear with me

We booked an outside cabin(selected our room/cabin number) on deck 6 back in Jan at full price.Looking at the upgrades (our deck is now down £35 from what we paid)deck 7 outside plus is now the same price as we paid for deck 6(still with me? :))can we request an upgrade to an outside plus deck 7 at no extra cost or by paying the differential between the price of deck 6 and deck 7 as it is at the moment...scratchchin.gif

Is this similar to what Jans suggesting?

Right,I`m :confused: by this thread(not difficult for me)so bear with me

We booked an outside cabin(selected our room/cabin number) on deck 6 back in Jan at full price.Looking at the upgrades (our deck is now down £35 from what we paid)deck 7 outside plus is now the same price as we paid for deck 6(still with me? :))can we request an upgrade to an outside plus deck 7 at no extra cost or by paying the differential between the price of deck 6 and deck 7 as it is at the moment...scratchchin.gif

Is this similar to what Jans suggesting?

Hi Jim

I'm not sure about an upgrade from an upgrade. We booked the basic inside cabin at no extra cost so we haven't actually had an upgrade. 4 months down the line we have 2nd thoughts and would like to upgrade to deck 3/4. With me so far? on checking the upgrade prices yesterday they had dropped on the website so we asked the TA to upgrade as it would be about £36 each less (makes a difference when we've alreay paid quite a lot for a cruise and stay in January). She tapped away and said they were charging full price.

Now, I will phone Thomsons this morning to clarify everything.

Jan

Just to clarify, I have phoned Thomsons and it appears that when you book you are tied in to that price including the upgrades. This means that even though you can book today at £690 with an upgrade to outside on deck 2 for £14 if you've booked early or mid season you will have to pay £49.

She hadn't heard about being 'bumped up' when joining the ship but said that it was worth asking.

The moral is unless you are booking early with all the extras wait until a few weeks before sailing and get lower prices across the board. There always seems to be plenty available.:mad:

Jan

Thanks Jan on both replies

The moral is unless you are booking early with all the extras wait until a few weeks before sailing and get lower prices across the board. There always seems to be plenty available.:mad:

Too true but leaving it late you also run the risk of there not being the availability of all the extras

Archived