Thunderstorms Predicted

Ramrac

So I am going on my Honeymoon cruise on Sunday out of Baltimore, and just checked the weather for our ports. According to the Weather Channel, thunderstorms are predicted on Wednesday at Orlando 40%, Thursday at Nassau 50% and Friday at Freeport 30%. Is this normal weather for those area's during this time of year? Any advice on what we should do, as in cancel our excursions? We are scheduled to go to Universal in Orlando and Blue Lagoon in Nassau.

I would carry on as planned. These are tropical type areas and its not unusual for them to get a storm of sorts every day for a few minutes and then clear off.

Enjoy your cruise and your HoneyMoon.

Thank you. It's making me not as excited as I was before.

I live in Orlando and thunderstorms in the evening is the norm. The later in the summer you go the more frequent they are, you can set your watch by them. But don't worry they come and go fast and are very localized. It can be raining heavy where you may be and sunny just 10 miles away. 30 % in Orlando is like 10% everywhere else. Have a great cruise.

So I am going on my Honeymoon cruise on Sunday out of Baltimore, and just checked the weather for our ports. According to the Weather Channel, thunderstorms are predicted on Wednesday at Orlando 40%, Thursday at Nassau 50% and Friday at Freeport 30%. Is this normal weather for those area's during this time of year? Any advice on what we should do, as in cancel our excursions? We are scheduled to go to Universal in Orlando and Blue Lagoon in Nassau.

Typical for the area. I live in Florida and it's almost "the season". Most days you can get a fast thunderstorm late in the afternoon. They don't typically last too long. If in Universal, I would bring a light weight poncho just to stay dry. I wouldn't cancel any excursions as these storms can be hit or miss. I would bring the same poncho on your excursions.

Congrats on your wedding. I'm sure you'll have a WONDERFUL honeymoon.

Happy cruising. :D

You can't worry about something you have no control over. Still it is best to be prepared.....a small folding umbrella, inexpensive throw away ponchos. In humid parts of the world brief thunderstorms are the norm and can occur any time of day.........keep your plans and have a great time.

Don't worry about the weather--you have no control over it. That said, quickie rain/thunder showers in FL are very common.....and they typically pass through quickly. Don't change any of your plans and concentrate on one thing only--having a fabulous time. Best wishes on your marriage and have a blast on your honeymoon!!

If we Floridians worried about thunderstorms we'd never go anywhere. We know that a rain cloud doesn't mean rain is coming in our area. It can rain in one area and never rain in your area. The weatherman can predict rain storms for the area, and we never see a drop. As everyone is saying, they are usually fast storms and not a problem.

So it sounds like you have a 60% chance of NO thunderstorms in Orlando, 50% in Nassau and 70% in Freeport. That's pretty good!

Remember that what makes a tropical paradise a TROPICAL paradise is that there are frequent storms to keep things lush and beautiful. The storms usually last no longer than it takes for you and your betrothed to enjoy a margarita or a little nap. Have wonderful time!

You can still have fun even if it rains. When I was at Grand Cayman last year, it was pouring rain when the ship tendered, and my excursion was not canceled. The rain came and went all day, but I was so glad I got to experience everything I did. Most recently upon arrival in Calica, Mexico, it was raining. :( We decided not to spend $99 on the excursion we had planned to Xcaret (an outdoor water park) and instead took a taxi into Playa Del Carmen. The rain was gone by 11 am, we got plenty of beach time, and spent that $99 elsewhere on Mexican tequila and jewelry. Hopefully it will not rain when you get there, but I'm proof that everything will be ok even if it does. You guys will have a great time no matter what!!!

Just to let you know. Here in Florida 30 0r 40% this time of year is kind of unusual. It is one of our least rainy months. These type of storms (if they even happen) are usualy very quick moving and don't last long. Plus that could be the storm is going through at 1 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon or 10 at night....

we've been on a few cruises that left during thunderstorms, it was kind of fun. the video and pics during a severe thunderstorm out of new orleans were some of my favorites. when life gives you lemons, just add ice and vodka! ;)

Also, even if it does rain the whole cruise you will still have a wonderful time. One of my favorite cruises so far was our sailing last May where we had rough seas and rain for most of the cruise. It really gave my DH and me time to relax, wander the ship, get to know fellow passengers as we attended more indoor activities. I also really enjoyed seeing a different side of the sea.

Also, even if it does rain the whole cruise you will still have a wonderful time. One of my favorite cruises so far was our sailing last May where we had rough seas and rain for most of the cruise. It really gave my DH and me time to relax, wander the ship, get to know fellow passengers as we attended more indoor activities. I also really enjoyed seeing a different side of the sea.

vacruizer ~ I will be sailing out on the Pride on Sunday and was wondering what you took for the "rough seas". I'm ok with bad weather, but I'd prefer to not be sick...

:(

vacruizer ~ I will be sailing out on the Pride on Sunday and was wondering what you took for the "rough seas". I'm ok with bad weather, but I'd prefer to not be sick...

:(

Nothing. I'm one of the lucky ones - no affects at all other than tough to walk in heels on formal night! :p I actually love the rough seas - we came through about 20 feet at one point last May and I was the crazy person who thought it was fun.

Your seas aren't looking too bad for next week.

http://magicseaweed.com/North-Carolina-MSW-Surf-Charts/24/

I have a friend who swears by ginger altoids candy. I like them, but they are only for those who like really strong ginger flavor. I always bring them on a cruise just in case but have never needed them. If you don't like the flavor maybe try ginger pills you can get from a natural foods type place?

Archived