Does anyone keep their children with them the whole time?

foxycleopatra

We have done many cruises with our kids never using the children's camp. We have enjoyed both. For me, I enjoy when they go a bit so there is a balance of adult time and family time but that is just my own preference.

European Cruise Girl,

You shouldn't let language be a barrier to her enjoying some activities with other children. My son's school has many English as a Second Language students, and many of them have not mastered English yet. However they seem to get along just fine playing with the other kids on the playground and generally having a good time.

You could always discuss your concerns with the counselors, and try a half hour activity at first to see how it goes. You might just be surprised!

You might be very right on this! I actually did not even know that there were half hour activities etc. I just thought that all the activities were something like "2-4 hours in the club". I'm not worried about the children getting along with each other. However I feel worried about the fact that even the counselors would not understand my DD if there was a problem (or even a need for any kind of verbal communication). I know I would not be comfortable in a place where no-one understood me or what I was saying.

Hello!

After reading many posts concerning cruising with children, I am wondering if everyone uses the children's daycare programs. I do not judge anyone for their choices, but find it amusing that some think that just because we are not going to use the daycare (or whatever you call it), that we will be "joined at the hip" or something. I have also read posts where someone said something about the apron strings being too short. I do appreciate suggestions that my children may enjoy the children's programs but I am wondering if we will be the only ones who will spend the entire cruise together. We may change our minds about things once on the ship, who knows....

Perhaps that you call it "daycare" is among the reason that you get the reactions you get.

I look at this as my DD's vacation as much as mine. As much as I both love and like both my DD and DH, there are things that they enjoy that I do not (and vice versa) -- when my kid was a kid, she sometimes kind of liked doing things that appeal primarily to kids. Now a teen, she sometimes likes to do things that appeal primarily to teens. Many of these types of activities are most fun with other people who are also of the age and inclination to enjoy those activities -- hence if she chose to play gaga ball or participate in the rock wall climbing tournament with kids her age she met on board, I don't begrudge her that.

The kids clubs are a safe spot for kids to meet and interact with their peers. They have activities that kids tend to enjoy. Some kids will want to spend a lot of time in the kids activity center others may choose to spend their time otherwise occupied.

DD spends a great deal of time with us on our trips, but she does meet other girls her age and enjoys doing stuff with them as well. DH and I will also make a point to meet and interact with other adults. It is not black or white - do what works for you and your kids.

You might be very right on this! I actually did not even know that there were half hour activities etc. I just thought that all the activities were something like "2-4 hours in the club". I'm not worried about the children getting along with each other. However I feel worried about the fact that even the counselors would not understand my DD if there was a problem (or even a need for any kind of verbal communication). I know I would not be comfortable in a place where no-one understood me or what I was saying.

On many lines the counselors are required to be bi-lingual and you'll be surprised how many of the kids may be as well. My cousin and his family accompanied us on a cruise years ago -- his DD was born and spent the first four years of her life in Panama, and they now live in Miami in an area of primarily Haitians so she's picked up French -- Dad speaks only English so his DD is tri-lingual. She had the best time with two little girls who were from Quebec and spoke almost only French (and Canadian French at that which has quite a few differences from the Haitian French my cousin's DD knew). My DD is a year younger than my cousin's kid and she speaks primarily English but can "get by" in Spanish and she played with the other girls without hitch.

When DD was 4YO and we were on an Italian vacation, the apartment we rented was next door to a family with a little girl near her age -- the two of them had a great time together for two weeks and neither of them spoke each other's language. I remember the girl holding up a yellow plastic ball that had gotten squished and saying "Limone" and my DD holding up a similar green ball saying "Lime" and both of them laughing (go figure!)

Just out of curiosity, are the camp counselors screened? I would assume that they aren't pedofiles or anything but how is one to know??

Don't know about all lines, but we got to know one of the RCCI counselors quite well (he was the counselor on four cruises we took over a three year period! wierd!) and still keep in touch (he now lives about 1/2 mile from my DH's cousin in Chicago).

He had been a grade school teacher in inner city Chicago for 5 years. He said that all RCCI counselors must have a 4-year degree in a discipline related to children (teaching, child pyscology, etc.) and 2-years demonstrated experience working with kids. They have a number of background checks etc. There are also VERY strict rules as to how they can deal with kids -- ratio of number of counselors to kids, rules as to uniforms (so the kids recognize them as counselors), etc. This is why RCCI is so strict about their toileting -- if the kid needs any help with the restroom, the staff CANNOT help out because the rules are absolute.

When we first started cruising virtually ALL the counselors were American, Canadian or Aussie (some NZ) -- now we are seeing more foriegn born counselors (a good thing as far as getting more native speakers of other languages) but I've been told that the requirements to be hired have not changed.

My 10 yo has always been very independent and willing to try new things and make friends. She has been eager to join in playgroups since she was very little (as early as 2).

My 3 yo is very clingy and still has issues with separation anxiety. I would never force him to attend the kids camp on a cruise if he didn't want to..

I am hoping that by the time of our next sailing (March 2011) he'll surprise me.. He'll be 4 1/2 at that time, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It would be nice to spend some alone time with my hubby :D

It it doesn't work out, then he'll be with us the entire time and it will be ok with us as well.

Almost all of the cruise line kids clubs schedule some activities in 1/2 hour blocks.

You get a program the night before outlining all the activities that will occur the next day, and the time it will occur. This way, you can plan your day around any activity the kids would like to participate in.

I'm sure if you're worried about the language barrier, you could stay with her for the activity. This would give her the chance to interact with the other kids, and give you a chance to see how she does.

On DS first cruise, he loved the kid's club and wanted to go every chance he could. We'd spend the day together and eat dinner, but once that was done it was 'Mom, bring me to the club--see you at midnight'. He had so much fun. We never thought of it as 'daycare' just as the 'kids only' section of the ship (most have 'adult only' sections). On our last cruise, he just wasn't into the clubs and spent his time with us. That was pretty awesome--I had a date to the show every night (DH is not a show person) and before we headed back to the room, we'd get a snack or two, walk around the ship, hit the arcade, play cards. On the next cruise, we'll see---that's what I love about cruises, there's plenty of 'family' time but you can do your own thing too if you want.

I'm sure if you're worried about the language barrier, you could stay with her for the activity. This would give her the chance to interact with the other kids, and give you a chance to see how she does.

Not sure which line she's on, but most don't allow any parents past the check in door (Princess does, Carnival and NCL do not).

Best,

Mia

I think the key here is that we parents all need to be flexible and do what's best for our family and our child in any given situation. We always have to assess and adapt! What works one time might not work another time. I would just encourage you to visit the children's program, meet the counselors, look at the list of activities, and then decide. For several years, our younger DD liked to be in the kids program the maximum amount of time possible. Recently, as she has gotten older (she's now 9), she has gotten pickier. Now she looks at the lists of activities and decides to come for some events and not others.

Also, am I the only parent here whose kids sometimes don't get along with each other?:o I find that it promotes family harmony if my two DD's have some time apart. Especially on sea days! :)

I totally agree with this... We have one DD, almost 9, who used to spend every waking minute in the kids club and had to be dragged out. Now she is older, she is much choosier and when she goes and how long she stays. She checks out the daily program and decides what interests her and what doesn't.

I also don't care for the "daycare" term... I'm a SAHM and my DD has never been to daycare and is rarely even babysat. She did go to preschool and she does go to school now too. I don't believe in homeschooling, personally, and I also don't believe that we must spend every waking minute together because we are related. Our interest are different. Cruising allows for everyone's interests to be catered for.

I have to let my DD go when I drop her off at school each day, and when she goes to someone's house for a playdate. I am no longer in control of every minute of her life. As kids get older, you simply have to relax the reins a little bit... Babies and young kids are different. Older kids are quite able of making choices for themselves, and at school they are encouraged to make choice and be independent.

My DD has been on almost 20 cruises now. She knows how she wants to spend her time. It is very hard to make a child her age do anything against her will! I can no longer force her into the kids club than I can force her to stay out of it. I definitely do not treat the kids club as a dumping ground!

The kids programs are carefully designed to entertain kids and enhance their vacation experience, not merely act as daycare. There is no obligation to use the service, and equally, no reason not to. It is up to the parent and kids to decide what is right for them.

Having seen so many different kids clubs and met many of the staff, I have seen how they operate as a team, and how they have strict safety measures in place to protect not only the kids, but also themselves.... I have never had reason to question my daughter's safety.

My DD has been on almost 20 cruises now. She knows how she wants to spend her time.

Hi Scrapchick! Wow, your 9 year old has been on 20 cruises? My 9 year old has only been on 9 cruises, boo hoo!;) Hopefully our paths will cross someday . . .

I agree with so much of what most of you said. I am very protective of my children; I am the mom!!!!! I was not worried about what anyone else would think but rather amazed that most seem to use the kids programs on family vacations. Or at least, amazed that it's almost assumed that everyone does utilize those programs. (And I will not call them "daycares" anymore.)

With regard to the one who shared her personal opinion about homeschooling, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I do happen to believe in homeschooling (which I guess you already knew, or else why even bring the subject up as I did not?) anyway...I do believe in homeschooling as both of my children are thriving in the HS environment, but I do not believe and have never believed that my children should spend "every waking moment" with me or my husband. My children have a social life; they go on field trips, playdates, sleepovers, are active in scouts, etc. Anyone who homeschools knows how easy it is to ensure that their children are getting plenty of socialization and are not "joined at the hip" to them. Please refrain from stereotypical comments.

Perspective is a funny thing; some seem to think that their viewpoint/opinion is the right one. I didn't go there about the homeschool issue, won't go there about the SAHM issue (been there, done that, also been a WAHM, and WOHM), or any others. I just wanted some opinions and I do appreciate everyone taking the time to share theirs.

Happy cruising!!!!!

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with the childrens clubs. I had to add that the childrens club on the Disney Magic was not all that it was cracked up to be for my kids. I chalked it up to "my" kids preference to be with us rather than the mass of children that were in the younger groups. It really bothered me that I had a hard time finding my boys, then 3 and 5, among the sea of little people. They were not happy and just wanted to get out of there. My girls, then 7 and 9, didn't like the club much until the end when they got used to it and had made friends. This July I am hoping that they have more interest in the activities that Princess offers for our Alaskan Cruise. I think this experience will be much different for them. I am also thinking that their ages this time will make a difference (12,10,8,6).

Dear oh dear... Knew I should have just left this entire thread alone.... Every single time it degenerates into hurt feelings and negativity.

I came into this thread very late and there were many responses before mine. My response was in response not merely to your post but to many others than followed it. If you choose to internalise that and take it personally, then I can't help that. I don't remember if you mentioned homeschooling or not. I think someone did. Was there nothing in my post of any interest to you except the one sentence in which I said homeschooling wasn't for me???

On second thoughts, don't answer.... Please just let it go before this ends up being one more thread on kids clubs that gets pulled because tempers get frayed. It is just so unnecessary. You asked a question and you got many answers, including mine. How interesting that mine was the one that offended you the most and prompted such a negative response.

As you have yet to take your first cruise and many of us have cruised many times before, can you not open your mind to anything positive about kids clubs on ships?? Hopefully, after you've actually been on a ship you might possibly have a different perspective, if you are willing to give it a try. At least you'll know for sure how you feel then. Right now, your mind seems made up already, so I'm not really sure what the point of the original post was.

I wish you a very pleasant cruise, I really do!

On our first few cruises' date=' my twins were too young for the kids program, so we spent every moment together and had a wonderful time. As soon as they were old enough though, they started participating in the "kids club" (at 2 on Carnival). Over a week together on a cruise, they need a break from me as much as I need a break from them - it's good for all of us.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

of your little one peering out the window is precious!!!!!! Thanks again for your input on this thread.

Happy cruising!!!!!

Hello!

After reading many posts concerning cruising with children, I am wondering if everyone uses the children's daycare programs. I do not judge anyone for their choices, but find it amusing that some think that just because we are not going to use the daycare (or whatever you call it), that we will be "joined at the hip" or something. I have also read posts where someone said something about the apron strings being too short. I do appreciate suggestions that my children may enjoy the children's programs but I am wondering if we will be the only ones who will spend the entire cruise together. We may change our minds about things once on the ship, who knows....

We will be going on our first cruise with our children, second cruise for my husband and myself. We leave Sunday for Rome and will be on the Eurodam in the Mediterranean. My daughter, age 10, has never been to school or daycare so we are together a lot! My boys are 19 and 17 so only my daughter wold be interested in Club HAL anyway. However if she doesn't want to go, or if she gets bored, etc., (apparently only 7 other kids her age on board) we plan on having fun together. They are only small for such a short time and within a few short years they don't want to be even seen with you! So, no I don't think you would be the only one hanging out with your kids! We have our card games, books and nintendo DS's so you'll probably found us on the ship relaxing somewhere. With all the ports we will be stopping at we will need some downtime anyway.:D

diane

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences with the childrens clubs. I had to add that the childrens club on the Disney Magic was not all that it was cracked up to be for my kids. I chalked it up to "my" kids preference to be with us rather than the mass of children that were in the younger groups. It really bothered me that I had a hard time finding my boys, then 3 and 5, among the sea of little people. They were not happy and just wanted to get out of there. My girls, then 7 and 9, didn't like the club much until the end when they got used to it and had made friends. This July I am hoping that they have more interest in the activities that Princess offers for our Alaskan Cruise. I think this experience will be much different for them. I am also thinking that their ages this time will make a difference (12,10,8,6).

When we did DCL, my younger kids were 4, 4, and 6, and loved the kids clubs. However, my 9 and 11 year olds were bored to death.

Leaving for our cruise next week and I am not sure if I want to take my kids to the childcare area on RCL and my kids are shy and might not want to stay. So odds are they will be with me the whole time on the boat.

So my question is: what did you do wtih your kids if they were with you the whole time on the boat? Besides mini golf and just wandering around - is there like an area you can all just hang out and you can sit as a mom while the kids splash in a pool or something?

My 1st cruise did not have a kids club. We just hung out. There were about 10 of us on the entire ship. We all became freinds as it was a 14 day trip with 5 days of strait cruising... I have to say.. 2 of the friends I have re connected with after 20 years on Facebook. So that is so cool!

Also what if any tipping 'regulations' are there. I know my DD5 would want to go.. DS 8 is more shy..

Thanks!

We took our first cruise in April on Celebrity. I really didn't know what to expect from the kid's clubs. Our children are DD14, DD12, DS9, and DD6. We went to the open house for the kid's club the first afternoon and signed them up. After dinner (we had dinner together as a family every night) we took each of them to their respective clubs. Fortunately my 14 and 12 year old were together in the younger teen group. They all enjoyed the clubs and wanted to go back every night after dinner. On port days we all did something together as a family. On sea days, it was up to the kids whether they wanted to do something with us or go to the club. My younger two would check out the activities and decide what they wanted to do. My older two were free to meet up with friends during the day, but they did have to check in with us and be back in time for dinner. It worked out amazingly well. I encourage you to check it out and then let your children take the lead. For the younger children it is very similar to a well run day care center. In my opinion that is NOT a bad thing. Day care centers sometimes get a bad wrap, but if it is well run with staff who are trained in early-childhood education it can be a very enriching experience.

Hello!

I agree with a previous poster (waaaaay back, sorry can't remember who now...) who pointed out that it's your vacation and you don't need to worry about what other people choose to do on theirs. I do hope that you'll at least check it out, though. I'm not suggesting for a moment that your kids should or shouldn't go, just that if you take a moment to see what's what your decision will be a fully informed one. Remember also that some of the activities are for the whole family, and they can be really fun, so it's nice to know about them in advance.

Enjoy your holiday your way!! :)

As soon as my daugher saw Camp Carnvial on the Carnival DVD my chances that she would spend the entire cruise with us flew out the window.

We plan to spend port days together and on sea days have my DD and DS go to camp for either the morning or afternoon, but probably not both.

We are also thinking that the kids would probably like to go after dinner which will give DH and I some time to sit in the lounges etc. which are not kid activities.

We usually vacation Disney where we are together 24/7 and we aren't sure what to expect with the camp option, but our plan is to be flexible.

Archived