Antartica

knuts1

Has anyone taken the flight excursion to Antarctica? How was it and has anyone had it cancel on them for any reason. We are looking at going on HAL and this would be our first cruise with HAL. Thanks Bill

Hi Bill! Welcome to the HAL board!

We have taken a HAL cruise to Antarctica but did not sign up for the flight. It is very expensive, and unfortunately, it is cancelled all too frequently due to weather conditions in Antarctica. It was cancelled during our port stop due to wx.

Even though you would get your excursion fee refunded if it cancelled, you would be left at Ushuaia or Punta Arenas (I forget at which port it departs from) at the last minute and may find it hard to book a substitute excursion.

You might want to consider posting your question over on the "Ports of Call" forum within the South America/Antarctica sub-forum. This is a cruise of a lifetime for a lot of folks--it was for us. Hope you have a great time! Antarctica is awesome!

I have had 2 experiences about this excursion even if I did not participate myself. Once, people went as planned but it was so foggy that they did not see much. Not sure if they got a refund. The description of the tour indicated that HAL was not responsible for weather conditions. The second time, it was cancelled all together.

Even if you book and it is cancelled, there will always be room even at the last minute for excursions in Puenta Arenas. On both cruises, Shorex people were accepting people at the last minute, even the same morning, on the dock.

If this flight is important for you, book it. Discuss with Shorex of what will happen in case....that way, you can prepare with them an alternate tour. Shorex will accommodate you.

thanks for all the info and you are right this is our cruise of a lifetime and I need antartica to get all 7 continents and this seamed to be the best way to get it. We may need to re-think this and go on a small ship instead even though it is much more expensive and it would just be my wife and I an not include 2 of our childeren that were going to go with us. We still have some time to think about it.

On a clear day we flew over the Grand Canyon - but I don't consider that we've actually been there.

We have been to Antarctica and it was a GREAT experience. We went on a small ship and were able to make several landings in Antarctica.

For most of us it was our seventh continent - including a 12-year-old girl! (When I was 12 I'd only been to Canada, which was a 90 minute drive from our home.)

I STRONGLY suggest taking an expedition ship that allows you to make landings on the continent.

Lindblad has a long history of Antarctica exploration and would be an excellent choice. Silverseas has Prince Albert II that also goes to Antactica. Several other expedition ships also go to Antarctica.

There have been reports that large cruise ships will soon be banned from sailing Antarctica waters.

Don't miss the experience of your life!

Ted C, We feel the same way and that is why we are doing this excursion as it does actually do a landing or we would just do a drive by cruise that does not land.

We may end up doing a small boat cruise. but it is much more $$$$:cool: and then it would only be the 2 of us and not our 13YO DD or 25YO DS.

Archived