First time cruising with NCL

zincman

My Girlfriend and I are taking the Dec 26 - jan 2nd Cruise to the Bahamas on the Jewel. This is our first time sailing with Norwegian, And also our first time sailing on New years. We have both sailed on Royal carribean a couple times.. How is NCL compared to RCCL? And how is it sailing on a new years cruise?? I know my questios are a little vauge but Im just trying to get an idea on what to expect..Thanks.. BTW im new to the boards and think Cruise critic is an awesome site..

I've done a couple of New Year's cruises & can tell you that it's spectacular. The ship is still decorated from Christmas...you'll find Christmas trees & gingerbread houses all over the ship.

New Year's Eve is very special, generally with several parties in different locations around the ship. There's also one "main" party at a given venue...they'll give out hats, noisemakers & free champagne just before midnight. If your ship has a large atrium, they'll drop balloons & confetti from the top of the atrium at midnight.

Sorry can't help with the RCCL comparison (I've recently booked my 1st RCCL cruise for 2011).

You'll have a fabulous time I'm sure!

I think they are similar although NCL ships don't have the big atriums that RCL ships do.

We like freestyle rather than traditional seating which is a change.

NYE will be dress up or not night (formal night). On the Dawn several years ago everybody was dressed to nines for the holiday & there were different thremed parties throughout the ship. We were outside on deck at midnight with the pool band. NCL emptied a hot tub then filled it with ice & bottles of champagne for purchase.

My Girlfriend and I are taking the Dec 26 - jan 2nd Cruise to the Bahamas on the Jewel. This is our first time sailing with Norwegian, And also our first time sailing on New years. We have both sailed on Royal carribean a couple times.. How is NCL compared to RCCL? And how is it sailing on a new years cruise?? I know my questios are a little vauge but Im just trying to get an idea on what to expect..Thanks.. BTW im new to the boards and think Cruise critic is an awesome site..

Welcome to CC, we love to help when we can and most of us depend on each other for answers to our questions, sometimes the answers aren't right, but we depend on them anyway..LOL

You will find very little difference in NCL compared with RCI. The main one will be dining choices on NCL and we happen to like the food better but that is really subjcective as we all know. The cabins will be a similar size, RCI does have traditional dining which some people prefer, we like freestyle better even though you do not get the personal attention you sometimes get with traditional dining.

As for cruising over NYears, we haven't tried it, have family members who have. They said it's a lot of fun, of course lots of partying and sometimes lots of kids as well. It will be a different experience I am sure.

Nita

I have cruised 5 times with RCCL and 5 times with NCL. I like them both. If you like the same table and waiter each night make reservations. That's what we do on NCL and we get the best of both dining experiences with the Freestyle option of eating at the time you want to dine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived