Is this crise ship a Dream or a Nightmare

After reading the reviews good bad and indifferent I wonder would we be better off to change ships as this is our first cruise and and first holiday without our children and very expensive. With our holiday being for 2 weeks I am wondering if it would be an endurance to spend 2 weeks aboard with the problems highlighted in the other reviews as all the problems seem to be the same in each review. Just of the phone to TA and have the option to change over to other ships or any holiday within thomson brochure.

After reading the reviews good bad and indifferent I wonder would we be better off to change ships as this is our first cruise and and first holiday without our children and very expensive. With our holiday being for 2 weeks I am wondering if it would be an endurance to spend 2 weeks aboard with the problems highlighted in the other reviews as all the problems seem to be the same in each review. Just of the phone to TA and have the option to change over to other ships or any holiday within thomson brochure.

hi i wouldent let others put you off ,i have been on the Dream with my parents we enjoyed it .

hi its up to you we were booked on the dream in august and its our first cruise we booked the dream because we liked what we read about it in the brochure new ship 5star etc, and not for the ports of call. we have now changed to the adriatic explorer we know the spirit is an older ship but have read many good reviews . we are looking forward to sailing into venice. we were charged £35 each to change . we may book the dream in the future when its had its re fit and problems ironed out. it prob will get better through the summer as they sort out the teething troubles..

I've been wondering the same thing myself. There are 6 of us due to sail in July, cost almost £10,000 in total and we too are booked to do 2 weeks b2b. It's my birthday the day we travel & it's our first 'family' cruise. We were hoping for something really special after reading all the publicity material & had hoped that at last Thomson would have a ship which offered both fantatstic service, food & entertainment along with great cabins. We are due to pay our balance at the end of this month :( Not really sure what my other options would be at this late a stage for a party of 6??

Just back from the 4th May cruise on the Dream and there are good and bad points.

Dream: Great cabins, comfortable beds, space.

Nightmare: Lack of water, toilet, air conditioning, and some noisy cabins

Dream: Superb public rooms and facilities with good quality fixtures and fittings.

Nightmare: Plastic glasses, cups, plates, long queues at peak times, inexperienced staff struggling with providing drinks etc.

Dream: Good choice of restaurants, bars, entertainment.

Nightmare: Terrible drinks package, too hot in theatre, difficult to get a drink there, poor resident musicians (compared to Top Men anyway)

:confused:hi

i would cancel if i were you if its your first cruise you want a good experience not just an ok one. Am thinking of canceling myself but would loose all my money, bit of a nightmare isnt it? we should all be looking forwards to our hols not dreading them.:confused::confused:

Aren't we panicking a bit? Talk of cancellation is a bit premature if you're not cruising until the summer. Some of the reviews have actually been favourable so I think it's best to adopt the "wait and see" attitude rather than lose money needlessly.

I am cruising on the Dream in July and am not overly concerned about the early reviews.

The circumstances of the ships first cruise with the volcano and the AI fiasco on top were unfortunate. I considered it a 'brave' idea to travel on early cruises as the crew and ship are new to Thomsons and would need time to be worked up to Thomsons normal standard.

Things should get better as time passes but some things such as the Andromeda restaurant will probably have to wait until the autumn refit.

:confused:hi

i would cancel if i were you if its your first cruise you want a good experience not just an ok one. Am thinking of canceling myself but would loose all my money, bit of a nightmare isnt it? we should all be looking forwards to our hols not dreading them.:confused::confused:

Now,I`m taking it as read you haven`t been on the Dream? however, your able to form an opinion that someone is only going to experience an okay cruise and not a good one and you then advice them to cancel scratchchin.gif

I think people are forgetting the Topaz had the same issues, but more serious involving the maiden cruise (which we were on) being cancelled in malta due to sewage flooding corridors and other problems which resulted in us being flown home. I never go on maiden voyages even with a ship now thats new to the fleet as there will always be niggles that need ironing out however major or minor. Give them a chance, she was wonderful with Costa!

Thomson Dream is a 5T not 5*. They are very different gradings. The Dream is a relatively old ship although new to Thomson's. Old ships do have less facilities and systems may not be as efficient. That being said - often the crew, fellow passengers and destinations make up for any quality issues. Go with an open mind but if you want real 5* then look at Cunard, Celebrity, Seabourn etc.

Have a wonderful cruise - for me, any day on any cruise ship is better than a day at work. Work just pays for my cruises!! LOL

would you having had your experience of the dream rebook this ship again.

I think the Dream needs some serious work on her water supply, toilet system, and air conditioning. They should take out of service cabins which are noisy, too hot, etc. but from all accounts it wouldn't leave many. The November refit is the only real solution, after that we hope she'll be the best Thomson has!

Other things (drinks package, cold food) are about Thomsons getting things right, which I am confident they will soon. However, it is little comfort to those paying top money for a cruise in the last few weeks.

We are going on the Island Escape on the 1st July and nearly swapped to the Dream following lots of terrible reviews about the Island Escape.

We are not into all the dressing up each night so the relaxed atmosphere on the Island Escape will suit us.

I'm now glad I didn't change as the Island Escape has had several good reviews and the Dream seems to be having the bad ones:eek:

Janet

I have just returned from a week on The Destiny.Never again! Well not in May anyway.

The al fresco buffet Lido dining option in the evening- the only alternative to the formal waiter service restaurant- was a joke.It was windy, cold, bare boards, uncomfortable chairs.People were sitting in their coats, babies & toddlers shivered in hooded jackets,trying to eat their meals at breakneck speed as the food cooled rapidly in the cold wind.It was verging on ridiculous.

The ship had just returned from the Carribean where an open to the elements cafeteria would be ideal.But not in the Med in May.

The food itself was fantastic- it was just an awful shame that nothing was done to cut out the biting wind.

We asked the staff if the open rear of the lido could be enclosed with the clear plastic curtains they have on the sides,to cut down on the through winds, and he said he would ask the captain.But nothing was done.

Last year at this time of year we went on the Celebration 'Adriatic Explorer' which has a superb buffet restaurant, carpeted, enclosed, excellant tables and comfortable chairs, a lovely alternative to the formal dining room.

If you want to be sure of a great first cruise I recommend The Spirit (sister ship to the Celebration with same layout) and the magnificent 'Adriatic Explorer' itinerary.

Flopsy

The ship had just returned from the Carribean where an open to the elements cafeteria would be ideal.But not in the Med in May.

Flopsy

We did have it covered up a few nights when we entered the med, although the food was only luke warm anyway to start with. It has always let the destiny down in that respect. We had more of an issue finding a table there though for breakfast/lunch/afternoon tea as some people chose to make it their base in there and sit from breakfast right through until the evening.

Hi Jivebunny. We were in the same 'boat' (not literally! :D) as you. We booked the Island Escape then found this site just after the dreadful Christmas cruise & read some terrible reviews. I posted the same question - should we change? Some replies said yes but the majority gave really positive replies. I appreciated all who took the time to answer but in the end we had to make up our own mind. We decided to stay with IE as it suits us, being informal. Now we are really looking forward to it & thanks to this site have an idea what to expect. The Dream is more luxurious & I think Thomson's will soon iron out any problems there have been. I hope you enjoy your cruise whatever you decide. :)

Mo.

Archived