Christmas with the kids

shoppergirl10

We are looking at Celebrity Equinox, Eclipse, or Solstice for Christmas with our 2 kids, who will be 7 & 10. Last year we cruised on RC Freedom of the Seas and they loved it because they had a ball in the kids programs. How are the kids programs on Celebrity?

Will the Christmas cruise have "enough" kids on it to make it fun for them?

We are also considering Holland America, Princess, RC.

Can't make up our minds!

Thanks for any help. :)

We are on the Equinox on December 17 with kids, aged 7 and 5. We have looked into it and were told there will be loads of kids over Christmas. If you are going four in a room, the rate for 3rd and 4th passengers in 2C or lower rooms just dropped today by $500 pp.

We are on the Equinox on December 17 with kids, aged 7 and 5. We have looked into it and were told there will be loads of kids over Christmas. If you are going four in a room, the rate for 3rd and 4th passengers in 2C or lower rooms just dropped today by $500 pp.

Can you tell us where to see the reduction? X's website is still showing $779 for 3rd/4th guest on that sailing.

thanks for the info

We always sail with our DD, now 12. We have found that Celebrity usually has the perfect balance of kids, not too many not too few. We did a Thanksgiving cruise on NCL once and it was a madhouse. Over 500 kids on that sailing. The staff in the kids' program was overwhelmed. Our daughter has special needs, and I was uncomfortable leaving here there. I have never been uncomfortable on an Celebrity sailing.

DH and I have found the service on Celebrity to be better than either HAL or Princess. I think that Carnival has too much influence on their premier brands, IMHO.

I hope we can join you.

Liz

We did a Christmas cruise last year on Princess and it was a total blast... There were about 300 kids on board but it was all very well managed and everyone had fun. There were tons of festive activities going on and we are hoping to do it again this year, if the budget will allow.

Equinox for Xmas last year...and the ship was beautifully decorated and the staff had special events for the kids on Xmas Day with Santa arriving etc...we don't have young children but it seemed like everyone was having fun and it was a joy to see the kids having fun! LuAnn

We were on the Mercury out of Baltimore and, while there lots of kids, they were well behaved and seemed to be having a blast. We saw many engaged in organized activities having a great time with their new friends. Wish my folks had taken me on one of those when I was that age.

j

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking at Celebrity Equinox, Eclipse, or Solstice for Christmas with our 2 kids, who will be 7 & 10. Last year we cruised on RC Freedom of the Seas and they loved it because they had a ball in the kids programs. How are the kids programs on Celebrity?

Will the Christmas cruise have "enough" kids on it to make it fun for them?

We are also considering Holland America, Princess, RC.

Can't make up our minds!

Thanks for any help. :)

The most family friendly lines are Carnival, Disney, NCL and Royal Caribbean. Celebrity and HAL are not going to have as many kids on board. In addition, Royal Caribbean's Freedom class is a kid magnet because of the H2O Zone.

Also, make sure you get a cabin with a fireplace so Santa will still be able to visit.

The most family friendly lines are Carnival, Disney, NCL and Royal Caribbean. Celebrity and HAL are not going to have as many kids on board. In addition, Royal Caribbean's Freedom class is a kid magnet because of the H2O Zone.

Also, make sure you get a cabin with a fireplace so Santa will still be able to visit.

I found RCI good but overrun with kids last year at Xmas I believe there were over 1,000 kids and teens! I found I was exhausted with everything going on, my kids loved the kids program but didn't fully use the other kid friendly activities on board. My son rock climbed only once because of the line ups. At Xmas my friend/travel agent said that all lines will have more families and kids since the kids are out of school. As long as there is a kids program my kids will be happy and meet other young ones. Mom and Dad may relax more and not be overstimulated by colourful squirting water clowns, LOL.

I found RCI good but overrun with kids last year at Xmas I believe there were over 1,000 kids and teens! I found I was exhausted with everything going on, my kids loved the kids program but didn't fully use the other kid friendly activities on board. My son rock climbed only once because of the line ups. At Xmas my friend/travel agent said that all lines will have more families and kids since the kids are out of school. As long as there is a kids program my kids will be happy and meet other young ones. Mom and Dad may relax more and not be overstimulated by colourful squirting water clowns, LOL.

I know the Celebrity ships I have toured do have a special area reserved for kids. I believe HAL does also, but I don't recall. I do know that HAL offers a kids program when the number of kids on board exceeds a certain minimum (twelve I believe). However, the only other kid friendly areas on HAL, Princess and Celebrity (outside of the kids area) is the pool. You will not find a rock wall, ice skating rink or water slide on HAL, Princess or Celebrity. I don't recall if HAL, Celebrity or Princess has miniature golf. However, all have a sports area as I recall.

We took our 14 year old granddaughter on the Emerald Princess over Christmas, and literally had to "run her down" when we wanted to see her. It was a delightful holiday, although a total sell-out.

We took walkie-talkies' in hopes of communicating with her, but she was too "cool" to use them. She would show up at dinner, but after the appetizer, she would asked to be excused to return to the teen club.

As rediculious as it sounds, I think they all dined on pizza, hamburgers & late night buffet all week.

Made for a great memory, and still good for a few laughs. Hope you find one you enjoy.

Fran

Maryland

Hooray, we are booked on Equinox Dec 17! There was a price drop for concierge class so I grabbed it. We are really looking forward to it!

Karen

We noticed to price change for C3 and were able to upgrade to concierge class for less money. We are pretty pleased with the value we are getting.

• 2 months later...

I have looked into excursions and think we will probably do a few tours that are not with Celebrity. It looks like if you book through Celebrity you end up paying considerably more.

As we are with the kids we may go into port for short periods and enjoy the ship while it is quiet. It depends on the port. We will probably do something more extravagant in St. Martin, Dominica and Barbados. I would not rule out excursions through Celebrity, but they look pretty expensive.

As we are with the kids we may go into port for short periods and enjoy the ship while it is quiet. It depends on the port. We will probably do something more extravagant in St. Martin, Dominica and Barbados. I would not rule out excursions through Celebrity, but they look pretty expensive.

One of our kids stayed on board when we were in St. Martin last year. If you're comfortable with the idea, and they're open to it, it's always an option to stay on board while in port.

The kids program, both of my kids loved. They enjoyed it FAR more than Cunard. While it's not a selling point for Celebrity, and though the ships are more sedate than Carnival, NCL, and RCCL, they were ALWAYS wanting to spend time in (and even have dinner with!) the kids club.

For Barbados, I can HIGHLY recommend the Heatwave snorkel cruise. Both our 4 year old and 12 year old LOVED it. Both kids really enjoyed snorkeling with the turtles! St. Martin, we rented a car and grandma, grandpa, and my stepdaughter went to the butterfly farm while my wife and I went and checked out Orient Beach, then came back and wandered through the zoo in town before getting back on the ship.

Hi 6502programmer

That sounds like great advice. I have mixed feelings about leaving the kids on board, but the idea is tempting.

I have heard very good things about the kids program on Celebrity, especially over holidays and the summer. My kids are very excited. I always say, even on a family cruise 20 hours a day with the kids is enough.

Archived