Sweet Tea,how do YOU DIY?

TnMama

The tea on the lido tastes like cheap instant powdered tea, just icky. BUT I do drink it (very little of it though since I usually have a DOD in my hand at all times, lol!) Anyway, I add 2 Splenda's and lemon, makes it taste a little better.

As for us southern folk left in FL, typically our brew is 3 large bags and 1.5 to 2 cups of sugar for a gallon of tea. But everyone has there preference on the sugar:)!

Get real now...if it tasted that good I could handle it.:D

The tea on the lido tastes like cheap instant powdered tea, just icky. BUT I do drink it (very little of it though since I usually have a DOD in my hand at all times, lol!) Anyway, I add 2 Splenda's and lemon, makes it taste a little better.

As for us southern folk left in FL, typically our brew is 3 large bags and 1.5 to 2 cups of sugar for a gallon of tea. But everyone has there preference on the sugar:)!

That is more like me, but with 4 bags..I like it strong.:p

Im Southern,so I go from Coffee in the Am to Sweet Tea. No soda card for me. Ive heard that the tea onboard is bad. and I prefer sweet tea. If you ever make it,you know how hard it is to make sugar disolve in a cold glass. So I plan to just use Splenda. But HOW do yall do it? Do you order a caraffe of Hot tea from Room Service and make you a pitcher for the day?

When I travel to Yankee Lands {no offence,and yes,Cali is included} I order Hot tea with a glass of ice, mix it up and pour it over. Anyone done that?

I sail in 50 something days and Im getting excited and down to the minute details on how to enjoy my first time. So thanks in advance on how you DIY onboard.

~Sarah

I mix half Ice tea with the lemonaid.

Is that all that is required to be kick out. Now someone tells me!

...stuck in the south..not by choice???

feel free to hit the road!:p

ok, I am joking...my wife is a yankee, she feels your pain;)

Tea in my house is 10 small teabags boiled in a large pot then 2 cups of sugar in a gal jug. I always make tea the night before. It tastes so much better the next day. I am diabetic so I don't drink it but my sons and my late husband could drink a gal a day.

I do make my own iced tea from hot tea at the buffet. But, it is pretty good in the MDR if you use Splenda. Its not made from the concentrate like that at the buffet.

I do that, too, with the hot tea. You can sweeten it (like y'all should) while it's warm and then ice it down.

In the MDR, I get their tea and bring my own Truvia.

I use Truvia, because it's made from a plant called stevia and really looks and tastes like sugar.

Why not just bring sweet tea on board with you. Each passanger is allowed to bring 12 bottles or cans. We always bring our own. Enjoy your cruise:)

Canned tea just won't do for real sweet tea. It has to be brewed. I would do without before I would drink canned tea. The idea of brewing it myself works.

I can't resist joining in on this one.

I am a Southerner who lives up north. Sadly, my sweet Southern-style tea drinking days are over (ditto for Co-Cola). Now I drink tea with lemon wedges, lemon juice, or crystal-lite. I kid people that Southern tea is so sweet that one can pour it over pancakes as syrup. We are probably one of the few families up here who always have brewed ice tea in the fridge. Even the McDonalds only serve iced tea in the summer.

I thought the pre-made Carnival tea in the Lido was drinkable but not as good as fresh made. I used their hot water and their tea bags to make quite tolerable fresh tea. I added a little lemonade to the tea and it was OK. I never expect non-Southerners to make Southern style tea. So, it is a pleasant bonus when I get a tasty glass of tea when I am not in the South.

I have to tell a true story from my younger days.

I was on my first business trip to Europe. I had been in Scandinavia for two weeks and then had to spend a week in Bristol (UK). It was summer and I had not had any iced tea for two weeks. In a hotel restaurant, I asked the waiter for some iced tea. I got a look as if I had asked for something illegal.

"I'm sorry, we do not have iced tea."

"Do you have hot tea?" , I asked.

"Yes, we have tea."

"Do you have ice?"

"Yes, we have ice."

"Ok, I'll have a cup of tea and a glass of ice."

"No." was his very direct reply.

Later, that evening, I made tea in the in-room teapot and added ice to the brew.

It was the worst tasting ice tea that I ever had. Evidently, English tea is a bit oilier than American tea. You can actually see the oil slick when you add ice to Earl Grey type tea. So I guess the snooty waiter was trying to save me from myself.

Before the UK CC'ers get your flame throwers out, my grandmother was English and I LOVE the UK. I solemnly promise never to order ice tea in any Commonwealth country again. By the way, that week in England was great - and it was a business trip!

...stuck in the south..not by choice???

feel free to hit the road!:p

ok, I am joking...my wife is a yankee, she feels your pain;)

She must be a good woman...! Us Yankees must stick together down

in the South! :)

My son loves iced tea, but he doesn't like the unsweetened kind like I hear the ship has. He likes it pre-sugared. LOL I think sweet tea would be too sweet for him though. I plan on taking some powered sweetened ice tea with me and mix it up for him when he wants it. As a matter of fact, I'll probably bring one of those bottles that come in insulated holders so he can carry it with him.

I can't resist joining in on this one.

I am a Southerner who lives up north. Sadly, my sweet Southern-style tea drinking days are over (ditto for Co-Cola). Now I drink tea with lemon wedges, lemon juice, or crystal-lite. I kid people that Southern tea is so sweet that one can pour it over pancakes as syrup. We are probably one of the few families up here who always have brewed ice tea in the fridge. Even the McDonalds only serve iced tea in the summer.

I thought the pre-made Carnival tea in the Lido was drinkable but not as good as fresh made. I used their hot water and their tea bags to make quite tolerable fresh tea. I added a little lemonade to the tea and it was OK. I never expect non-Southerners to make Southern style tea. So, it is a pleasant bonus when I get a tasty glass of tea when I am not in the South.

I have to tell a true story from my younger days.

I was on my first business trip to Europe. I had been in Scandinavia for two weeks and then had to spend a week in Bristol (UK). It was summer and I had not had any iced tea for two weeks. In a hotel restaurant, I asked the waiter for some iced tea. I got a look as if I had asked for something illegal.

"I'm sorry, we do not have iced tea."

"Do you have hot tea?" , I asked.

"Yes, we have tea."

"Do you have ice?"

"Yes, we have ice."

"Ok, I'll have a cup of tea and a glass of ice."

"No." was his very direct reply.

Later, that evening, I made tea in the in-room teapot and added ice to the brew.

It was the worst tasting ice tea that I ever had. Evidently, English tea is a bit oilier than American tea. You can actually see the oil slick when you add ice to Earl Grey type tea. So I guess the snooty waiter was trying to save me from myself.

Before the UK CC'ers get your flame throwers out, my grandmother was English and I LOVE the UK. I solemnly promise never to order ice tea in any Commonwealth country again. By the way, that week in England was great - and it was a business trip!

Maybe it is just a southern thing, but McDonalds now has

"MickyD's Sweet Tea" they brew it fresh, and serve it year round.

It is some of the best sweet tea you can get away from home.

The best part is.."most" McDonalds sell it in the big cup for $1.

LMAO!!! If youre from NC you Shore Nuff oughta know how to make one,lol. And Im glad you agree with How I make my tea! Oh,to be sure,Im as Suthun as they come. I even have my home state of MS,state flower the Magnolia tattooed on my back! ;)

P.S. Scott = Conchead and we BOTH dont like BBQ from NC. xoxox{just one southerner picking on another,but you let some one who AINT from down here say something,Ill back you up any thing you say!:p}

If you've never eaten at Speedy's in Lexington, you don't know what GOOD BBQ is! :eek: Oh, they have GOOD sweet tea too! :cool:

Luv's Crusin'

Ya know I am Southerner also...by way of West Tennessee...but I was just never able to do the Sweet Tea thing. I have to have my tea unsweet w/ plenty of lemon. Wierd huh?

Where in WTN? Im a transplant.Moved up here for love.We live just North of Dyersburg.But Ive never lived in a county in all my 28 years that didnt border "the River".And to comment on what you said,I know a lady whos like a surrugate GM to me.She had 3 kids and drank unsweet tea with lots of lemon to keep her kids from getting into her glass;)

Yall have really cracked me up!!! TY for being sympathetic and not too sarcastic.:p As for the smuggling Idea,I really had thought about that. You can get Red Diamond tea here in little bottles,so I thought about that. Ive got to hit a grocery store anyway. But the canned stuff is a BLEEECCCKKK UM NO.thank you very much....

And Scott,thanks for posting the pic of where DH and I went on our first date. We did Down Town and went to Tom Lee Park and "went parking".So now the world of CC has seen where I had my last ,first kiss. ;)

Archived