Should I bring portable DVD player?

Erwende

I never cruise without ours, our kids are 6 and 3 and it is so small that it never hurts to bring it. My kids get tired of the kids channel sometimes so we dive into our collection of their favorite movies and they are so happy. Have fun!

We brought in on our previous cruises. This time, we just brought our iPod Touch which has movies and some games loaded that he loves (Nick jr, Elmo, etc.) It was so much more convenient than lugging the DVD player around and easily fit in my pocket. AND, didn't have to worry about DS opening up DVD case and scratching the DVDs. Highly recommend that if you have an ipod with video capability (classic style also plays video) or are thinking about getting a new one.

Portable DVD players can be a life saver. We use it while we are getting ready for dinner and sometimes at dinner (controversial I know, but it works for us). We also use it on the plane. It doesn't take up much space to just pack it along with a few favorite DVD's.

For a 2 year old I would definitely agree to bring the DVD player. At that age it always helps to have some of the favorite things on the ship (like a favorite DVD, favorite toy, etc.). We even packed our son's familiar pillow case and it worked great to get him to sleep at night.

Have fun! ;)

We have found Nickelodeon and Cartoon network on every cruise we've taken. But, sometimes the shows are not age appropriate. So, we bring the DVD player for those times (which are few because we're usually very busy with excursions, pool time, meals, etc.). But, it's nice for the kids to be occupied while DH and I are getting ready for dinner. Definitely bring it just in case!

DVD player is a must for little ones. We took ours to the dinners in the dining room (with headphones). This allowed everyone to enjoy dinner, including our tablemates. I cannot tell you how many people (childless) express how wonderful our 3 yr. was. We were so busy throughout the day, we didn't needed it. On the last day, ask it the kids club is open for use. RCL opened the doors for families to wait there with games and movies playing, it was perfect.

We brought in on our previous cruises. This time, we just brought our iPod Touch which has movies and some games loaded that he loves (Nick jr, Elmo, etc.) It was so much more convenient than lugging the DVD player around and easily fit in my pocket. AND, didn't have to worry about DS opening up DVD case and scratching the DVDs. Highly recommend that if you have an ipod with video capability (classic style also plays video) or are thinking about getting a new one.

Megadittos on the iPod. Just got back from a weekend where my DD (14YO) and I ended up minding 3 neices/nephews (2 are 3.5YO the third is 6YO) for long periods of time in a hospital waiting room and our iPods are still recovering! I kindly admin showed us to an area with free WiFi and we downloaded some TV and movies and a few kid-friendly games - I had a splitter for the audio and an extra headset -- That and plenty of snacks!

It's amazing how much things have changed! We took my DD on a 15 day land trip across Italy when she was 4.5YO and had one of the original portable DVD players - it weighed a ton, we had two extra batteries, and a small collection of G-rated DVDs (not many were available at that time). It was a perfect diversion for her. Now I can get an iPod for a fraction of the cost - it weighs next to nothing, is pretty much self contained and recharges in no time flat.

I would, its a lifesaver for that age, especially at dinner. When our DD was 2 she would never stay in camp carnival so bring it along just in case. If your child cries, they will call you to come get them so unfortunately camp carnival is not a guarantee. Its more like an activity service and if your child is happy and willing to participate then they can stay. Its not like a daycare or babysitting service where they will entertain your child and respond to his or her needs ...hungry, tired, upset etc, at least during the daytime.

Archived