Best time to go?

ActiveTraveler

One of my requirements is very few or no kids on board, which means sailing when the children are in school. I was thinking May is good because then I can see the gardens, which obviously will not be blooming in October (which is football season anyway). So I was wondering if the weather is good at all Italian ports during the spring. When does it warm up to the 60s and 70s Farenheit? Is it usually wet or dry in April and May? When does the peak season begin?

Andrea, I think your question is a bit difficult to answer as there are many different ports in Italy, and weather is fairly variable. To get accurate historical information, try a web site like www.wunderground.com, where you can specify different cities and look at actual weather patterns.

In general, May is warm and lovely throughout Italy. Also in general, the longer the cruise, the fewer children you'll find on board. As you plan, keep in mind that UK schools typically have a recess week in late May/early June. They also have a week or two around Easter, so in a year like this one when Easter was in May, the early weeks of May would be vacation time for British school kids.

Since you are interested in gardens, you might enjoy reading about this one, which is south of Florence. Not really a great port day trip, unless you have a car, but nice to read about anyway: http://www.italiannotebook.com/places/tuscan-roses/

I will be on the Crystal Serenity, which has a children's program if there are at least 10.

Next year Crystal Serenity's sailings in the Med aren't until August and later, or are you thinking of 2012?

We have been in both early May and late November. I loved both. Early May - everything just bustin out blooming.....late November was all gold, orange, yellow and green - fall colors.

We did not have many kids onboard in early May.....but definately more than 10...... 10 kids on a large ship is not really alot. I agree with other poster - go for the more upscale lines - longer cruise and when school is in for a better chance of less kids.

Archived