Uniworld optional tours

annenic

Hi,

This is our first river cruise and I would love to hear from any Uniworld past passengers about the included and optional tours. We are doing Bucharest to Basel in October this year.

We'll undoubtedly do the included tours but in some places may prefer to do our own tours rather than the optional tours provided - especially in places like Budapest and maybe even in Vienna. Is this possible to do???

What did people think of the optional tours - worth it? Uniworld doesn't have prices of these tours posted anywhere that I can see.....can anyone advise of ballpark prices for these (to the best of their recollection)?

Thanks!

The optional tours on our cruise Amsterdam to Vienna, were not outrageously expensive.

There wasn't many of them offered, as there wasn't alot of extra time spent in any one place. They had a couple in Vienna.

Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna was one of them. We did that and because it included the transfers, it made it very convienient. I think it was about 30 euro.

There was also a concert in the Opera House in Vienna. I didn't go, but those that did really enjoyed it. If I remember it was approx. 35 euro

My cruise was 2 1/2 yrs. ago so I'm having a hard time remembering prices.

Uniworld will generally give you a pretty good city tour in most ports. They generally include the highlights of each place, so you should feel satisfied with what they provide.

As I mentioned, you won't have alot of time to arrange your own tours in most ports.

Also, you won't know what time to book them for, as you won't know what time you'll arrive and depart each place.

MENNO HOEK ! ! !

Yes, he is the one to contact. He was born in the Netherlands. Aside from his working in their home office he started on the ships sailing Europe and knows it 1st hand. mhoek@uniworld.com :)

Some thoughts and/or suggestions:

Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna

Opera House in Vienna

Gondola Ride and/or Mechanical Musical Museum in Rudesheim

Smoked beer in Bamberg

Sausages and beer for lunch by the bridge in Regensberg and walk all over the place there.... great town...;)

After a morning tour in Passau we rode the bicyles up the river away from there for several hours on a totally safe path and enjoyed it immensely. (bring your water bottles with you) easy riding

Budapest is another place that you can get to so much on foot on either side of the river. Walk along the embankment to the Parliament building... what you will see bordering the river will stop you in your tracks(walk along the river)

I also agree that the added ventures are well priced and a good value.:)

Julie and Dick:cool:

Thanks for the tips and Menno Hoek sounds like the guy to contact!

With two recommendations for Schonbrunn Palace - we'll definitely consider this optional trip.

Julie and Dick: Did you do the Opera House in Vienna privately....or was that the included tour with Uniworld. Our brochure states: Classical music performance of Mozart and Strauss in a Vienna concert hall. I'm a little confused as to whether the concert hall is part of the Opera House or a different venue entirely.

Could you please tell me a bit about the bike ride? DH and I would be keen to do that but a little unsure if our level of fitness would be up for it. We do hope to get on our bikes here and build up some stamina here before we go....or maybe it really is not that hard...you did say easy riding:)

Is it possible to use the bikes at any other stop and not just the optional tour at Passau?

BICYCLES and VIENNA ! ! !

Julie and Dick: Did you do the Opera House in Vienna privately....or was that the included tour with Uniworld. Our brochure states: Classical music performance of Mozart and Strauss in a Vienna concert hall. I'm a little confused as to whether the concert hall is part of the Opera House or a different venue entirely.

Could you please tell me a bit about the bike ride? DH and I would be keen to do that but a little unsure if our level of fitness would be up for it. We do hope to get on our bikes here and build up some stamina here before we go....or maybe it really is not that hard...you did say easy riding:)

Is it possible to use the bikes at any other stop and not just the optional tour at Passau?

We did not do the Classical music experience, but most of those on our boat did. Positive feedback is what we heard from everyone about the performance. It was the experience not the location.;)

They have about a half dozen bikes onboard for use. You need to sign them out. They will have a list either at the front desk or the Cruise Directors area for signing up in advance. Honestly and regrettably they were a well kept secret. Check with the cruise Director as soon as you can as to what days/towns would, be good. Remember the large cities and the traffic are not the place to utilize them. (Budapest, Vienna, Cologne)

The small towns are built along the rivers and given gravity there are numerous towns that have flat (non-strenuous) areas to peddle to and frow and back again....... We probably used them in Rudesheim, Passau, Afschaffenberg, Koblenz, and a few of other towns.... Sometimes for a quick or short ride before or after dinner too:D

Hope this helps.:rolleyes:

Julie and Dick:cool:

This past Oct, we went. With about 4 other river cruise companies. They have several large rooms for each cruise company. They have a little of everything. Singing a little ballet and some music. They have an intermission to serve champaign. It's very pleasant, but if you are looking for a concert that's not what you will get. The price is about 60.00 US as of last Oct. We sat on bridge chairs (Folding Chairs). If I were to go back I would skip it. But for first times I would suggest going.

45640: thanks for that great tip about the bikes. We will definitely check with the CD about the best places/days to ride and book them accordingly.

Margate Cruiser: We very much appreciate your comments re the Concert Hall.... at this stage we are still undecided as to whether we might try to pre-book a concert at Opera House on our own as we will be docked in Vienna for 2 nights.

Archived