Inside Passage Map

Gitane

Before our 1st cruise to Alaska in 2002, we were able to obtain a fold-out map of the Inside Passage from Princess. Really great for sitting on your balcony and watching the scenery and wondering where you were!!

Now the map is only available w/ a companion book for a fee from Princess. It looks even better than just the map, since the book is mile marked for references to the map.

This may have been brought up before, but since returning to look at the boards previous to taking a 2nd AK cruise in Sept, I thought it might be of interest to others who haven't heard about it.

The "Alaska Cruise Companion" and map can be gotten by phone to Princess:

1-800-PRINCESS

On Amazon is it the book titled "The Alaska Cruise Companion: A Mile by Mile Guide" by Joe Upton?

Yes, Joe Upton is the author of "The Alaska Cruise Companion". The only problem with the one offered by Amazon is that the newest edition I could find was 2001 but the one I ordered from Princess last year was the 2004 edition.

The copies of The Alaska Cruise Companion at Amazon are indeed the 1998 and 2001 versions. Princess seems to have hired the author to revise a version that only they sell: "Princess commissioned award-winning author Joe Upton to create the Alaska Cruise Companion book and map set to enhance your Alaska experience.". The changes that took place in the ports between 2001 and 2004 were quite substantial, but I haven't seen a copy of the Princess version to know if it is accurate now.

Murray

The copies of The Alaska Cruise Companion at Amazon are indeed the 1998 and 2001 versions. Princess seems to have hired the author to revise a version that only they sell: "Princess commissioned award-winning author Joe Upton to create the Alaska Cruise Companion book and map set to enhance your Alaska experience.". The changes that took place in the ports between 2001 and 2004 were quite substantial, but I haven't seen a copy of the Princess version to know if it is accurate now.

Murray

Murray, just wanted to thank you for your beautiful pictures, "Life on the Edge: Images of Carcross, Yukon". This June we want to make the trip to Carcross, Emerald Lake and especially Lake Bennett (since our last name is Bennett!). Your pictures of the breath-taking scenery make me want to go even more!

Funny to see this thread now, I just saw the same book in Borders today and was flipping through it. If you don't want to wait to order it just call your local store and check availability there or online (amazon company).

How much is the book if ordered through Princess? Also, has anyone read "Alaska and Canada's Inside Passage Cruise Tour Guide" with a 6 foot fold out map? I was reading about it on Amazon and it sounds extensive and was published in 2003. New price $9.71.

For those of you that want to buy this at Borders in store.... here is a link to a 25% off coupon...has to be used by 2/10/05

I do KNOW my store in San Luis Obispo, CA has it, so others must to. Sure beats waiting for it to be shipped to you.

Thanks to fatwallet.com :

http://f.chtah.com/i/16/276579827/25offcobrandcoupon_203.htm

I bought the "Alaska and Canada's Inside Passage Cruise Tour Guide" a couple of years ago. It's a great map for knowing where you are, but is not very useful as a port guide.

Murray

I bought the Princess Alaska cruise companion last year and had similar feelings. It gives interesting anecdotes about various locations and is good for telling you what to look for at various points while cruising (with reference to the map). But I wouldn't have relied on it for my trip planning ... it was fairly good in giving the history on the ports (although I found other tour books better at this) but gave minimal information to help you plan what you want to do/see in each port.

Archived