Eurodam - Quebec City to NYC 9/11

Okay, now that I have booked the cruise, How do I get there???? Most airlines fly nonstop from NYC to Quebec City, but will I wind up anywhere near the port? If I choose to fly in early, is there a great hotel close to the pier but near attractions? Please escuse my ignorance, but I was hoping for some expert advise from fellow CC's.

Thanks in adbvance,

K

Okay, now that I have booked the cruise, How do I get there???? Most airlines fly nonstop from NYC to Quebec City, but will I wind up anywhere near the port? If I choose to fly in early, is there a great hotel close to the pier but near attractions? Please escuse my ignorance, but I was hoping for some expert advise from fellow CC's.

Thanks in adbvance,

K

The bad news is that the airport is the other side of the city from the cruise port. The good news is the city in-between isn't that big, so no major probs getting between the 2.

You want to stay near the pier, where there are several nice boutique-style hotels and which just happens to also be in the heart of Old Quebec, making for an excellent touring base. Here is a list of those within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal, in order of distance:

Hotel Port Royal

Hotel Dominion 1912

Hotel%2071"]

Auberge Saint-Pierre

auberge%20saint-antoine"]Auberge Saint-Antoine[/url]

Hotel Le Priori

So, fly into YQB (a lovely airport, BTW), take a taxi to one of the aforementioned hotels (I think someone mentioned it was around $32, but having never done it I'm not sure), spend a couple of days wandering around Old Québec, then on embarkation day cross the street to the cruise terminal. Easy peasy!

Most airlines fly nonstop from NYC to Quebec City

I just wanted to clarify something - there's only one airline with nonstop service between the New York City area and Quebec, Continental via EWR. All others would require a connection, and are usually more expensive anyways.

Thank you Twickenham for the extensive info. That's what makes CC so great - someone can always answer my questions! I actually found that AA also flies direct on American Eagle out of JFK and LAG. It sounds so beautiful in Old Quebec. I can't wait!

Kathie

Glad the info was of help.

I actually found that AA also flies direct on American Eagle out of JFK and LAG.

Unless this is something very new (and as-yet unpublished), there are no AA flights into YQB. Remember to search for Quebec City (YQB), not just the province, which would include YUL (Montreal). I read once in one of those ombudsman columns of a person who thought they had booked a flight to Quebec City, only to find their flight was to Montreal! Of course, you could always fly into YUL and take either the bus or train to Quebec - the combined train/bus station is actually much more convenient to the port than the airport is, a 20-minute walk if you're so inclined.

Thanks again, and of course you are right. How surprised would I be if I landed in the wrong place??

Kathie

Well, it's better than booking a trip for Sydney, Australia, and ending up in Sydney Nova Scotia! (which has apparently happened several times:eek:) At least you can drive between Montreal and Quebec! It is actually quite a valid option (flying to YUL - driving or train/bus to QC); I've personally heard very good things about the CO flights to YQB, though, and they're running at under $200 for your dates, which is a very good price for anything into/out of YQB (no cheapo air for us... *sigh*).

This may seem like an arcane point, but I've tripped over it more than once, so beware.

If you're like me, you think in terms of a hotel right next to the pier, only to discover – in most ports – there's a place several hundred yards away. Trouble is, with cruise luggage in tow, the distance may be too far to schlep your bags. But no taxi driver can make any money driving you that short distance.

So we always end up picking a hotel that may be near the dock but is either close enough for an easy walk or far enough for a cab ride. Personally, I've reached the conclusion that proximity to the dock sounds much more impressive than it actually is.

This may seem like an arcane point, but I've tripped over it more than once, so beware.

If you're like me, you think in terms of a hotel right next to the pier, only to discover – in most ports – there's a place several hundred yards away. Trouble is, with cruise luggage in tow, the distance may be too far to schlep your bags. But no taxi driver can make any money driving you that short distance.

So we always end up picking a hotel that may be near the dock but is either close enough for an easy walk or far enough for a cab ride. Personally, I've reached the conclusion that proximity to the dock sounds much more impressive than it actually is.

You make a good point, and indeed for many major cruise ports (I'm thinking Port Everglades), proximity to the dock really means nothing as you need to take a taxi/car there anyways.

However, Quebec City's cruise terminal is located in the heart of Old Québec, in a very compact area. This map: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=Dominion+1912&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=Dominion+1912&hnear=Quebec&cid=0,0,7589549592522626182&ei=nY71S73ILoKB8gb4heS9Cg&ved=0CBgQnwIwAA&ll=46.816317,-71.202199&spn=0,0.013711&z=16&layer=c&cbll=46.816412,-71.202225&panoid=8OzcnbpmldYI_4x5MfWb3A&cbp=12,76.42,,0,-3.12 shows the cruise terminal with regard to the Dominion 1912 & Port Royal Hotels. Now, everyone has particular circumstances, and needs to make a decision taking them into account, but personally I walked much more than this distance the last time I connected thru YVR.

Archived