Ginger and Bonnie Question

jenndun

I bought both ginger pills and bonnie. Do you take these together or just one at a time. It's my first cruise and I get really car sick so I am worried about getting sea sick. I am going to start taking them a day in advance to keep from getting sick on the drive down. Thanks

I always take one of each in the morning with breakfast. I also start taking them the day before I leave. I've taken them separately before, but taking them together works like a charm for me. And if the weather is bad and the ship is rocking, I'll take more ginger at lunch. The bottle I have says you can take it 2-4 times a day.

I take the Bonine at night because it makes me drowsy. I start that a few nights before I start traveling, and take it all the way through until I am back home again. I take the ginger in the morning on my first day or two of travel. Then I just keep the ginger handy in case I need something more.

I take ginger 2-3 times a day starting the day before. I take one bonine just before bed and this seems to work great for me. On my last cruise I stopped the bonine about 4 days into the cruise and just took ginger.

If you avoid greasy or deep fried food, then there is less nausea even when ships rolls hard when they hit the waves. Ginger is a herbal remedy where as Bonnie is motion sick prevention medicine. Ginger available as candy, gum or pills. Pills are least caloric and candy has lots of sugar. Ship also sells acupressure bands which also works, you can buy them at your local pharmacy.

My DH takes Bonine. It doesn't make his sleepy at all. He gets motion sickness

so easy. He can be watching home movies and starts to sweat and has to leave before he gets sick. I think I will be bringing ginger pills this time since we are in a forward cabin.

Keep in mind that Bonine is a preventative, not a curative. Simply stated, if you wait until you feel ill to take it, it's not as effective. To be effective, Bonine should be taken once a day, and you can start the day before you cruise. Ginger tablets/capsules should be taken twice a day to be effective. They work great for me, and I have been using this combination for years when we cruise. And I have always been very susceptible to motion sickness.

For people who tend to feel sleep from Bonine, it's best taken at bedtime.

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) always takes Bonine (Meclizine) when we cruise. She too takes one every day, whether she needs it or not. You can buy Meclizine "over the counter" in quantity of 100 for only about $5, so it's a bargain for sure. We've never tried the ginger, but lots of folks swear by it, so it must work! ;)

"SKY"

Cute typo in the title. I thought this was a thread about some employees named Ginger and Bonnie.:)

Do note as someone else said that Bonine is not effective if you wait until you feel ill to take it. Once the horse is out of the barn, it's too late.

I have always gotten motion sick. My mom said I didn't even like riding in the stroller. I take Bonine twice a day, once in the morning and once before dinner. This has always worked for me.

I had tried everything before (not the ginger), the patches behind your ears made my eyes dialate and made me sick, and the wrist bands did nothing for me. Dramamine made me tired, but the Bonine works for me.

I quess you just have to find what works for you......but Bonine has changed the way we vacation......:D

I bought both ginger pills and bonnie. Do you take these together or just one at a time. It's my first cruise and I get really car sick so I am worried about getting sea sick. I am going to start taking them a day in advance to keep from getting sick on the drive down. Thanks

I started taking them the day prior to boarding last time. I took them both together, 1 each in the morning and 1 each at night. Worked perfectly. Never got sick!!! Good luck,have a great cruise!!

Hi

The active ingredient in Dramamine is dimenhydrinate.

The active ingredient in Bonine is meclizine.

Meclizine is also dispensed by prescription.

Meclizine is less likely to be drowsy than

dimenhydrinate.

Do not take both, can have serious life-threatening consequences.

Where can you purchase the ginger pills - is there a particular brand to purchase?

I also get candied ginger from Trader Joe's (or at a health food store) and eat a piece whenever my stomach feels a little queasy and about 1 hour later I feel better.

I get motion sickness easy. Whether in a car, carnival rides, boats, etc.:o

I take Bonine before bed staring about 2 days before our cruise.

On both my cruises there was one short period of time when the ship did some pretty decent rocking. I actually enjoyed it, it was kinda fun trying to walk around. So I'm definitely hooked on the Bonine routine for me and I haven't experienced drowsiness.:)

Archived