Seattle on a Sunday Afternoon.

goody1

First of all, thanks to all the Seattle residents who have already given me good advice re. restaurants in Seattle for our 2 day stop in July prior to our 2 week cruise on HALS' Amsterdam. We have booked the Savor Seattle tour at Pike Place Market at 10.00 on the Sunday morning and will eat at either Wild Ginger or Longs in the evening (unless there is better advice for good Asian food). Our quandary is what to do in the afternoon? This will probably be our only visit to Seattle, and I want to make the most of our time. Thanks..

Well, you may not understand everything that's going on, but on July 11 (I believe that's the day you're referring to, right?) the Seattle Mariners baseball team will be playing their arch-rivals, the New York Yankees at Safeco Field in Seattle, starting at 1:10 PM. You'd have just enough time after the market tour to hop on any of the free buses on First Avenue and get off at S. Jackson Street, a 5 min. walk from the stadium. Sunny afternoon with 45,000 cheering people, one of the most beautiful sports stadiums anywhere, cold beer, hot dogs, garlic fries... what's not to like? Pure Americana. You can get tickets for the "cheap seats" (there really aren't any terrible seats at Safeco) and you're out by 4:30 or so, with the sun still high in the air and plenty of time to rest up before the evening.

Pity you're not in town the following Sunday (the 18th) because at the neighbo(u)ring football stadium, Qwest Field, the local soccer team (Seattle Sounders) are playing a little-known side from Glesga, Celtic.

Well, you may not understand everything that's going on, but on July 11 (I believe that's the day you're referring to, right?) the Seattle Mariners baseball team will be playing their arch-rivals, the New York Yankees at Safeco Field in Seattle, starting at 1:10 PM. You'd have just enough time after the market tour to hop on any of the free buses on First Avenue and get off at S. Jackson Street, a 5 min. walk from the stadium. Sunny afternoon with 45,000 cheering people, one of the most beautiful sports stadiums anywhere, cold beer, hot dogs, garlic fries... what's not to like? Pure Americana. You can get tickets for the "cheap seats" (there really aren't any terrible seats at Safeco) and you're out by 4:30 or so, with the sun still high in the air and plenty of time to rest up before the evening.

Pity you're not in town the following Sunday (the 18th) because at the neighbo(u)ring football stadium, Qwest Field, the local soccer team (Seattle Sounders) are playing a little-known side from Glesga, Celtic.

Thanks Gardyloo, a great suggestion, however and it is a big however, I mentioned it to my wife and that's a no-no. If you have any other suggestions that's not sport orientated it will be most welcome. I would have loved to have gone, especially as its a big game, however its our only full day in Seattle and it wouldn't be fair to foist a sporting event on her when she doesn't even like Scottish football (a sacrilege I know lol!!).

Thanks Gardyloo, a great suggestion, however and it is a big however, I mentioned it to my wife and that's a no-no. If you have any other suggestions that's not sport orientated it will be most welcome. I would have loved to have gone, especially as its a big game, however its our only full day in Seattle and it wouldn't be fair to foist a sporting event on her when she doesn't even like Scottish football (a sacrilege I know lol!!).
Ah well, fair enough. I suppose if I asked my wife to accompany me to Parkhead or Easter Road (I would not recommend Ibrox) I'd be prepared for a similar reaction...

So then... well, many options. One I might suggest is after the market I'd walk down the Pike Hillclimb stairs to the central waterfront (or the Harbor steps, a block south) then mosey south on the waterfront to Pier 50. I'd then take the West Seattle water taxi over to West Seattle, then stroll along the waterfront (which faces the skyline across the bay) - here's a picture - http://gardyloo.us/20091226_19a.JPG in a northward direction up to and around the point onto Alki Avenue, then past the beach and down to the shops along the Alki Beach strip - numerous cafes, pubs, etc. On a July afternoon it will be full of life, and the views of the city, the mountains, ferries, and the beach will be excellent. The walk (return trip to the ferry) is about 2 miles or a tad more, all on level, so not strenuous. The view of the working harbor from the ferry is excellent, too. http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/WestSeattleRoute.aspx

Or, if Asian food is on your mind, let me suggest that after the Pike Market you ride the free bus down to the International District/Chinatown, and pop into Uwajimaya, our great Japanese/pan-Asian grocery/department store, and have a late lunch at their wonderful food court - Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Thai, Vietnamese, Hawaiian stalls, then browse around the store. It will be a fraction of the price of Wild Ginger (of which I confess I'm not a fan) and IMO more representative of Seattle's cultural mix. Then, head over to West Seattle as mentioned above, walk off lunch along the waterfront, and end up at Salty's on Alki for a light dinner, or even a sundowner in the bar, while you watch the view change out the windows. It's by far the best dining view in town (better than the Space Needle arguably) as it sits over the water. http://gardyloo.us/20091226_30a.JPG

Or, if Asian food is on your mind, let me suggest that after the Pike Market you ride the free bus down to the International District/Chinatown, and pop into Uwajimaya, our great Japanese/pan-Asian grocery/department store, and have a late lunch at their wonderful food court - Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Thai, Vietnamese, Hawaiian stalls, then browse around the store. It will be a fraction of the price of Wild Ginger (of which I confess I'm not a fan) and IMO more representative of Seattle's cultural mix. Then, head over to West Seattle as mentioned above, walk off lunch along the waterfront, and end up at Salty's on Alki for a light dinner, or even a sundowner in the bar, while you watch the view change out the windows. It's by far the best dining view in town (better than the Space Needle arguably) as it sits over the water. http://gardyloo.us/20091226_30a.JPG

I believe that weekend is the annual Asian street fair in the International District, as well.

http://www.cidbia.org/internal/folder.2010-04-20.2552000468/2010-summer-fest

Ah well, fair enough. I suppose if I asked my wife to accompany me to Parkhead or Easter Road (I would not recommend Ibrox) I'd be prepared for a similar reaction...

So then... well, many options. One I might suggest is after the market I'd walk down the Pike Hillclimb stairs to the central waterfront (or the Harbor steps, a block south) then mosey south on the waterfront to Pier 50. I'd then take the West Seattle water taxi over to West Seattle, then stroll along the waterfront (which faces the skyline across the bay) - here's a picture - http://gardyloo.us/20091226_19a.JPG in a northward direction up to and around the point onto Alki Avenue, then past the beach and down to the shops along the Alki Beach strip - numerous cafes, pubs, etc. On a July afternoon it will be full of life, and the views of the city, the mountains, ferries, and the beach will be excellent. The walk (return trip to the ferry) is about 2 miles or a tad more, all on level, so not strenuous. The view of the working harbor from the ferry is excellent, too. http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/WestSeattleRoute.aspx

Taking the water taxi is a great idea. My only issue is that according to the timetable, the last one back on a Sunday evening is at 1900, which would prevent us having a meal at Salty's. Regarding Wild Ginger, I have gone off the idea of eating there. If you have any other recommendations to eat in the Downtown area (we're staying at the Red Lion on Fifth Ave) that would be great. Not looking for anything overly expensive, however we don't want cheap either.

I believe that weekend is the annual Asian street fair in the International District, as well.

http://www.cidbia.org/internal/folder.2010-04-20.2552000468/2010-summer-fest

Thanks for this suggestion. I wish we had 2 full days in Seattle as this sounds as it'll be really good. Whatever we end up doing will depend on what the weather is. If Seattle weather is anything like Scotlands' then you take pot luck even in July.

Regarding Wild Ginger, I have gone off the idea of eating there. If you have any other recommendations to eat in the Downtown area (we're staying at the Red Lion on Fifth Ave) that would be great. Not looking for anything overly expensive, however we don't want cheap either.

I've heard that Wild Ginger has past it's heyday, so maybe a good choice.

I haven't been there, but I hang out on some local foodie boards and folks there rave about a Vietnamese restaurant called Monsoon http://www.monsoonrestaurants.com/seattle/. It's not downtown but on Capitol Hill-- near enough for a reasonable cab ride. They're doing a Sunday night crab feast http://monsoonrestaurants.com/blog/--a whole two-pound Dungness crab done Vietnamese-style for $28--that I'm dying to try!

The food used to be the best around at this place a few years ago. We moved back to SoCal and haven't had the chance to get back until this Friday. We leave on the Rotterdam for Alaska the next day.

Their address is 2100 Western Ave. and is only a couple of blocks away from Pike Place Market.

might I suggest a good city tour that will take you around and give you a good overview of the city? Smaller tour buses like

toursnorthwest.com

or

tourofseattle.com

do a good job. There is a brew pub close to the 5th ave who's name escapes me but I also like Gordon Biersch in Pacific Place which is walkable from your hotel. If you look at tripadvisor.com on the seattle forum there is a one day itinerary without a car you could use as a guide.

First of all, thanks to all the Seattle residents who have already given me good advice re. restaurants in Seattle for our 2 day stop in July prior to our 2 week cruise on HALS' Amsterdam. We have booked the Savor Seattle tour at Pike Place Market at 10.00 on the Sunday morning and will eat at either Wild Ginger or Longs in the evening (unless there is better advice for good Asian food). Our quandary is what to do in the afternoon? This will probably be our only visit to Seattle, and I want to make the most of our time. Thanks..

Two words:

SPACE NEEDLE :D

Thanks to all of you for your many suggestions. Its at times like this when I wish I had booked the flight a day earlier and therefore had 2 full days in Seattle.

I think if the weather is good, we'll take the water taxi over to West Seattle for good views of the City.

We have booked a city tour at the end of the cruise as our flight isn't until early evening.

Final question is. We get into Seattle on the Saturday evening and hope to get to the hotel (Red Lion on 5th Ave) about 7 pm. Whats a good restaurant within walking distance as we will be pretty tired and won't want to travel far? Thanks..

• 3 weeks later...

WE fly into SeaTac about 10 on sunday morning the 4th of July to depart the 5th on Princess to Alaska. We have a room at the Roosevelt downtown and plan on riding light rail to get there. My question is.....what is the best location to watch fireworks that night?? We have a day planned but left the night open for dinner and fireworks. I would like some great Chinese food which we do not get enough of in Texas:(.....but then again our Mexican food is to die for:D.

Thanks to all you locals who are so helpful!!

See ya soon,

2fer

We are staying 4 nights on the way back in so we will have plenty of time for sightseeing in depth then.

WE fly into SeaTac about 10 on sunday morning the 4th of July to depart the 5th on Princess to Alaska. We have a room at the Roosevelt downtown and plan on riding light rail to get there. My question is.....what is the best location to watch fireworks that night?? We have a day planned but left the night open for dinner and fireworks. I would like some great Chinese food which we do not get enough of in Texas:(.....but then again our Mexican food is to die for:D.

Thanks to all you locals who are so helpful!!

See ya soon,

2fer

We are staying 4 nights on the way back in so we will have plenty of time for sightseeing in depth then.

You won't be able to see them from downtown...too many tall buildings in the way. Gasworks Park, where they will be centered, will be filled with 50K+ people, most of whom arrive by early afternoon for the 10 pm fireworks show. There is a park at the other end of the lake, but it is not open currently, as it is still under construction. Don't know if it will be finished by 4 July or not.

There is ia Chinese restaurant at the lake, but even it was full the last time I went over to watch fireworks at the lake.

Another option for dinner and fireworks watching would be an Argosy cruise. They are a little pricy, and will probably be sold out any day now, but you can check it out here:

http://www.argosycruises.com/themecruises/default.cfm#4downtown

Gasworks Park, where they will be centered, will be filled with 50K+ people, most of whom arrive by early afternoon for the 10 pm fireworks show.

Karen does not lie!

Gas-Works-Park1.jpg

Gas-Works-Park2.jpg

I took those from a boat on Lake Union last 4th of July, well before sundown!

I agree--if you don't have all day to spend, your best bet is a tour boat that will take you from the downtown waterfront to Lake Union for the fireworks. It might be a late night--LOTS of boats going back through the locks after the show--but the view is worth it!

fireworks5.jpg

photo.php?pid=2166780&l=3bad76a4a3&id=750613939

Karen does not lie!

Gas-Works-Park1.jpg

Gas-Works-Park2.jpg

I took those from a boat on Lake Union last 4th of July, well before sundown!

I agree--if you don't have all day to spend, your best bet is a tour boat that will take you from the downtown waterfront to Lake Union for the fireworks. It might be a late night--LOTS of boats going back through the locks after the show--but the view is worth it!

fireworks5.jpg

photo.php?pid=2166780&l=3bad76a4a3&id=750613939

Great pix, CG.

We took my 80-something-yr. old dad on the Argosy Locks/Fireworks boat several years ago and it was nothing short of fabulous. They allow the boats to park so that it seems (but isn't) that the fireworks are going off right over your head. You don't' miss anything, it's comfortable, and the tour around Elliott Bay and through the Locks before the show is very entertaining.

They don't take pax through the locks after the show. We disembarked on a dock near the Navy reserve building at S. Lake Union; however I believe this year they're disembarking at Chinook's at Fishermen's Terminal. They then load you on buses to take you back downtown to the Argosy dock. IIRC we were done right around midnight (fireworks usually start around 9:30 - 10).

HI all,

I was checking this thread out because we will be in Seattle on August 14-16 before leaving on the Royal Princess for a 14 day Alaskan cruise. We have never been to Seattle except to fly into your airport on our way to Vancouver to leave on another cruise so we decided to fly in a couple of days early and see a little of your beautiful city.

We plan on staying in the downtown area hopefully within walking distance of Pike's market. I'm still trying to get what hotel worked out.

Thanks for the info already posted in this thread. I have also been checking out the big Seattle thread, with over 4000 posts to it, which also has had great info.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived