QM2 Southampton Sailaway - where to be?

justfoxie

Hi all, I'm so excited about our upcoming voyage that I'm starting to plan a bit obsessively (or that could just be revision avoidance :p). Key in my mind is where to watch sailaway and QM2's navigation past the coast of England, the Isle of Wight and out to sea. We'll be on her at the end of August, and so hopefully a better than average chance for good weather and so to be outside. The Grills Terrace on deck 11 looks best, but for those of us not travelling grills, the deck surrounding the boardwalk cafe on deck 12 looks like it has potential. Where do you all usually spend sailaway from Southampton?

Foxie, there is a wonderful sail away party held around the swimming pool on 8 deck aft. There are refreshments, wait staff and usually a band. That seems the best place to enjoy the sail away.

You will get views of area surrounding Southampton Water and the Solent. Depending on where she docks. Looking over the side, watching her push herself away from the dock and make a 180 degree turn to head southeast is a phenomenal thing to watch.

Its like the festive sailings of yesteryear.

Mike

i call it deck 14 but on the deck plans it located on deck 13 and its named the lokout it the place where all the season cunarders go for the best view so get up there quick. located at the front of the ship there is one of these point on either side

The party on the deck takes the feeling away for me, I prefer to be on deck 7 by the rail and watch the small boats sail up and watch the IOW etc, deck 13 is high and has glass panels in front of you.

everyone is different

Unfortunately the band is normally replaced by pre recorded music which is on the nasty side of unpleasant so you may want to avoid being within range of the speakers. Deck 7 is ok as it is close to the doors leading to your cabin, this is not a bad option as standing on the deck when the cold wind blows gets old pretty quick. If you head to the Commodore Club you get a great view, a nice cocktail and you can't hear the muzak.

The party on the deck takes the feeling away for me, I prefer to be on deck 7 by the rail and watch the small boats sail up and watch the IOW etc, deck 13 is high and has glass panels in front of you.

everyone is different

I agree Rob, I think the sailaway party is too distracting. If you like the party atmosphere, music, drinks, nibbles etc that's fine. But if you want to really absorb the atmosphere and nostalgia of a departure from Southampton, from where so many of the great liners of the past have sailed, then you need to be somewhere a little quieter I think.

Never having sailed on QM2 I can't advise on specifics, but on other ships I have generally managed to find a relatively quiet area of deck from where a more or less clear view to both sides is possible. On QE2 the Sun Deck , right below the bridge was the place to be. On QV I like the area of open deck immediately ahead of the Grills Terrace (I don't know if it has a name but it's publicly accessible and generally under used).

J

Personally I only like the observation deck bit for going under the Verrazano bridge - the rest of the time I prefer to just wander around deck 13 (I've never found it particularly busy up there on a sailaway). Often amuse myself by wandering over to have a look at the obligatory gentleman who has obviously done waaaaay too many sailaways and is busy on the golf simulator, oblivious to all around him :D

Do they give out champagne on deck 13 during a sailaway? I ended up with a glass in my hand last time but can't remember whether it came from an official source or was just thrust into my hand by an overexuberant fellow passenger :D

So if you want to be outside I'd suggest deck 13, if you want to look at things through glass I would suggest a better alternative than the observation deck would be the Commodore with a martini in hand :cool:

Archived