questions about excursions?

Eva65

This will be our first cruise in September on the Legend. Going to Cozumel, Cayman Islands, Roalin and Belize. I am debating on doing excursions or just walking around the ports to see what is there. Has anyone went on a cruise and done no excursions? Is there enough to see without the excursions?

Do some research on each port and you will probably find things to do by the port. We don't always take and excursion and when we do, there is usually extra time to hang around. But we had looked at that itinerary for our next cruise, and one reason we chose not to do it, is that there didn't seem to be much to do around those ports except for shopping. I have not actually been to any of those so I my opionion is less than an amature opinion, others will give you a much better idea of what to do. The Frommers travel books make excellent guides, they hav eone called Ports of Call.

It depends on what you like to do.

"Shopping" means different things to different people. There's lots of high-end shopping on Grand Cayman, but you'll probably find the prices comparable to back home on jewelry and such. If you're looking for inexpensive souveniers, on Cozumel take a taxi (about $7) downtown. Knock-offs in Belize.

Beach-goers? On Grand Cayman, take the public transport ($2.50 per person each way) to Seven Mile Beach. Cozumel, the only beach we've been to is Paradise Beach. Roatan, Mahogany Beach is right at the port. Belize - can't help as far as beaches (we feel we wasted money on a city tour and won't do that again)

Excursions? What we've done (or would like to do)... Grand Cayman - Stingray City is a must. Belize - we've heard zip-lining is a blast.

Hope this gives you a start on what to look for. Enjoy the Legend. She's a very lovely vessel and her crew is one of the friendliest.

Check out all of Cruise Critic, look down at the bottom of the page, and you will see PORTS, and choose Caribbean. Then once there, pick a port. I planned all three of my shore excursions based on what I had read there....and Frommer's book on the Caribbean. We sailed Legend, same ports, sub in Cayman, highlights tour in Cozumel(the guys scubad)Goff's Caye in Belize. But again, look under PORTS, and you will get all the answers you need:)

I highly recommend excursions in Belize due to safety reasons and tendering. If you have to tender in any port, those on cruise excursions get first priority. Also, many times the costs of the excursions end up costing the same as if your purchased through the cruise line - it really depends on the port and excursion. We've done both. If you just plan on shopping in Cozumel, excursion is not necessary since everything is right there. We missed Belize due to a storm but I have friends who have highly recommended excursions at this port but we were going to do the Mayan Ruins excursion - others have highly recommended the cave tubing. I'm not sure about your other ports as far as recommendations. As an example of other port we've visited, we had bad weather in Nassau and since we booked our excursion through the cruise ship, we received a full refund - other who booked on their own were out their money because the didn't book through the cruise line. We did book an excursion in Antigua outside of the cruise line and it was awesome but the company guaranteed the cost if the weather was bad or if the cruise was rerouted to another port for that day so check cancellation policies with the company you book with. Now, my son and I took a ferry to another island on our own during another stop and I was a nervous wreck the whole time. I was afraid our ferry back to the island where the ship was docked wouldn't make it in time and the ship would've left without us. So for shopping or local beaches, I think you are fine but anything other than that, make sure you are covered or book through the cruise line.

Archived