Exploring Rome

shadsy

Hi,

After reading lots of advice on this site we are considering doing our own thing when we dock at Civitavecchia and getting the train into Rome.

I think I have read somewhere that when you get out of Rome Termini Station you can get a City Bus Tour (hop on - hop off) from the large bus terminal next door. Is this correct and if so what is the cost of the tour and how long does it last.

Is it worth doing ???? :confused:

Thanks for any advice.

Shadsy.

I kow a few people who have done this. But I would reccomend, although many on here would not, is to do a ships tour. As you get a proper guide, who can tell you exactly what is what. Inside the vatican and the chapel and all round the city etc.

Unless of course you just want to ride around the city looking at the sites.

We did the hop on/off bus tour about 4 years ago and it lasted about 2 hours with commentary on headphones. Think it was around €15 then so probably around €20 now. You can also pick up the bus at St Peters (S.Pietro) which is about 15mins before Terminii. Your train ticket is valid on all Rome buses and underground so if you get the bus outside the station at St Peters (no64 I think but there is only one and they run every 5mins) and get off at the second stop, go under the underpass and you are in St Peters. Dont forget to validate (date stamp) your ticket before use on the yellow machines at the station.

Brian

Thanks for the info. Will help us decide what to do. We do not want to do a full days tour with a guide etc. as we like to meander around on our own. Undecided between our own thing on the train or the trip with P&O which is full day with sightseeing on the morning but you are on your own on the afternoon then get the coach back to the ship.

Cheers

shadsy :confused:

We recently caught the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and it was easy enough, we just took the shuttle bus to the dock gates and walked down the promenade to the train station. Once in Rome we got off a St Peters then followed a pre-planned walking route taking in the Vatican, Pantheon and Trevi Fountain before ending at the central station for the return train. We stopped a couple of times for drinks and lunch but were still back on board in plenty of time.

Carnival Holiday September 2001

NCL Norwegian Dream May 2003

Adonia F412 August 2004

Oceana E509 April 2005

Aurora R522Y December 2005

Oceana E610 April 2006

Oceana E629 November 2006

Artemis P717 December 2007

Aurora R802 March 2008

Oriana X819 November 2008

Artemis P916 July 2009

Arcadia J921 December 2009

Ventura N010 April 2010

What a seasoned cruiser you are Damien.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

I see you have done carnival then NCL and all the rest are P&O....

You must enjoy cruising then:D

Have done the diy trip from Civitavecchia to rome twice now and it is a piece of cake as the previous post has said just catch the shuttle bus to the dock gate and then the train into the central station.

you canot visit all the sights in one day so you need to pick which ones you want to do in advance and also make sure you have a good map, some of the sights are close together so it is quite easy to walk between them.

The first time we visited the cistine chapel , the tomb of the unknown soldier and the trevi fountain.

The second time we did the colliseum the pantheon and the trevi fountain.

we paid for the guided tour around the colliseum which enables you to jump the queues and go straight in, it was very informative and well worth the money, it included in the cost is entry to another attraction the name which i cannot remember.

we queued for an hour os to get in the cistine chapel at about 10 in the morning but when we came out two hours later there was no queue so perhaps it is besy to avoid it until midday.

I also had two young girls with me and it was a doddle..

do it yourself... see the real rome...

Berty

Archived