Ulu

Sailor2Cruiser

Now that the 2010 Alaska season has begun and with the aggressive enforcement of restricted items on Carnival ships, I'm curious. Has anyone who bought an Ulu had any trouble bringing it back aboard? We use ours a lot and want to buy one for my DW's sister, but I won't do it if I know it will be confiscated.

I know I can order it directly over the internet, but there is something to be said for getting a memento from our trip.

We are sailing Carnival Spirit at the end of August.

Thank you for your responses.

I don't think it is an issue bringing it back onboard, it is no more dangerous than any steak knife you could get ahold of on this ship? Plus I assume they expect people to be bringing them back as gifts etc.

Now that the 2010 Alaska season has begun and with the aggressive enforcement of restricted items on Carnival ships, I'm curious. Has anyone who bought an Ulu had any trouble bringing it back aboard? We use ours a lot and want to buy one for my DW's sister, but I won't do it if I know it will be confiscated.

I know I can order it directly over the internet, but there is something to be said for getting a memento from our trip.

We are sailing Carnival Spirit at the end of August.

Thank you for your responses.

If they simply confiscate it and hold it for you until you get off the ship at the end of the cruise, I wouldn't be too concerned. If that is the case, however, make sure you then pack it in your checked luggage and not in your carryon for your flight home.:) Perhaps someone who has experience with this situation can let us know what actually happens to such items that are confiscated when you board the ship.

So many people buy them at each stop they are so use to it.... They just hold it for you until the end of the cruise... But like they said below PUT IT IN YOUR LUGGAGE not your carry on for the plane or you may not get it home...

I bought a few and they are nice to set out or give as gifts.

There is a big sign in the Ulu Factory store in Anchorage warning people which ships don't allow ulus and won't keep them for you. That store offers very reasonably priced shipping to send your items home.

Some of the shops that sell the cheap Asian made junk ulus don't tell you anything.

Ask on your own ship's topic for info.

We personally we have not had a problem bringing them aboard ship...it is probably the #1 purchased item in Alaska. That said if there was a problem they (ship's security) will just hold it and give it to you at disembarkation.

Thanks for the responses.

I wasn't sure how the ship would handle it knowing it is a popular tourist purchase.

I lived in Alaska for 3 years and bought some for some relatives, but didn't buy one for ourselves or my sister-in-law. Friends of our went to visit family a couple of years ago and bought one for us. We have used it alot. Funny thing though, it wasn't really sharp. Recently they let us use their Ulu sharpener. Now it goes through meat like a hot knife through butter!

And I saw some of the cheap imitations online. What garbage! It looked like something I would make in my backyard with a bunch of scap metal.

And I understand about putting it in the checked baggage. We are staying the night in Seattle when we get back. I might just budget a couple of extra vacation dollars and mail it home.

Archived