Well Kept Secrete about Tips

ilm28411

Carnival Cruise lines will not tell you this but I found out this weekend from a crew member who used to work for carnival as a waiter that the tips that are subtracted from your bill ($70.00 pp) is 95% of their income they earn. Carnival only supplements this by only 5%. Meaning that our tips for the wait staff pay for 95% of their salary. So tipping is very important and giving a little extra at the end if you can offord it will help them out. If I had only knew this a long time ago. I can't belive carnival pays them very little for the hard work they do.

Carnival Cruise lines will not tell you this but I found out this weekend from a crew member who used to work for carnival as a waiter that the tips that are subtracted from your bill ($70.00 pp) is 95% of their income they earn. Carnival only supplements this by only 5%. Meaning that our tips for the wait staff pay for 95% of their salary. So tipping is very important and giving a little extra at the end if you can offord it will help them out. If I had only knew this a long time ago. I can't belive carnival pays them very little for the hard work they do.

This isn't a secret!!! ken

Everyone has known that for YEARS.....

that is why some of us get so mad when people remove their tips....not because they did not get good service....but because they want to spend the money on themselves.

I'm shocked you were not aware of this. I don't know about those %'s, but yes, the majority of their salary comes from tips. Thats why people on here get flamed so much if they take off the auto-tips. It's just about the waitstaffs whole nut.

Same thing for most services that depend big on tips.. I waitressed a good bit when I was in college and you are paid close to nothing as a server, now it is like $3.25 an hour here for servers... We always tip above and beyond for service workers...

Everyone has known that for YEARS.....

that is why some of us get so mad when people remove their tips....not because they did not get good service....but because they want to spend the money on themselves.

Why is that a bad thing if you remove auto tip and tip more then the staff would have received before removing it?

Why is that a bad thing if you remove auto tip and tip more then the staff would have received before removing it?

Because this is not what happens.....people remove the tips and DO NOT TIP AT ALL.....

Also please be aware that even if you tell the Guest Services desk that you are removing the tips to tip "in person"...

the cabin stewards and wait staff are questioned to see if they did not provide good service.

Also the Sail and Sign method assures that people you never see are compensated for doing their job.....

Because this is not what happens.....people remove the tips and DO NOT TIP AT ALL.....

Also please be aware that even if you tell the Guest Services desk that you are removing the tips to tip "in person"...

the cabin stewards and wait staff are questioned to see if they did not provide good service.

Also the Sail and Sign method assures that people you never see are compensated for doing their job.....

I am only assuming this, but if someone removed auto tip at the beginning of the cruise, they would be billed the last night on the SS card correct? Isn't it $10 per day per person mandatory? Who does the auto tip take care of?

I am only assuming this, but if someone removed auto tip at the beginning of the cruise, they would be billed the last night on the SS card correct? Isn't it $10 per day per person mandatory? Who does the auto tip take care of?
$5.50 per day goes to MDR staff, $3.50 per day to your cabin steward and $1.00 per day to Lido staff. If you take off the auto tip (and this should NEVER be done, unless you had horrid service, which never occurs) then no tips are placed on your S&S card. If you have someone that gives you extra special service, tip them extra.

The auto tip is the $10 pp/pd charged to your S&S account.

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

NOTE: BARBADOS CRUISES

All gratuities are pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process for Barbados itineraries.

This is not true, and I would do something about all things that secrete.

It may have been a secret to you, but this is common knowledge. They are hired to serve YOU, so it is YOU that in essence pays them based on their performance. Those that do it well can make some nice $$.

Considering the hours they put in between 12 - 14 hours a day 7 days a week for 8 long months with no other source of income coming in. :confused:

But they knew this BEFORE they signed the contract. BTW, if they do a good job, we always tip more, and we tip our room steward more than the waiters. No one twists anyone's arm to work on a cruise ship, they are there on their own free will.

/just saying

How can it be that "EVERYONE" has know this for year if the OP did not?

You should avoid the use of absolute terms like always, never, everyone, nobody, etc.....lest you come across pompous. :rolleyes:

Exactly...it's never appropriate for everyone and always wrong to say nobody. Nobody ever uses absolutely. Because they will always be considered pompous by absolutely everyone. Now I have to look up pompous.

We always do the auto tip thing plus tip over that amount directly to the persons involved. Also, at the beginning of a cruise, I usually tip my room steward $25. From what I can tell, the crew works hard and I've never had any problems with the service I receive. :)

It is not mandatory. If it was it would be called a service charge. Some lines do that. On Carnival, you may go to the Purser's Desk and raise or lower the tips for each individual that serves YOU. You may increase as much as you like or reduce to zero.

The problem with removing tips "to tip in cash" is that 92% of those that do remove the tip for any reason,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,TIP NOTHING.

And that stat comes from a cruiseline and has been documented here in the past.

Archived