Safety of Falmouth

evanandsamuel'smom

I have been told by 2 people that have cruised to Jamaica, and one that has vacationed there, that they will never go back. They said it is dirty, and unsafe and that you can't trust the locals. They said that people will try to plant drugs on you to get you arrested, blah, blah, blah. I really want to visit this port, and wonder from others that have been there on cruise ships what your opinions are?

Are they talking about Jamaica as a country or Falmouth in particular? Cruises do not normally go to Falmouth. RCI is building a pier there in conjunction with the local city to increase cruise ship calls to Jamaica. They have not begun to go there yet, but will soon. Our cruise is scheduled to stop there. Jamaica is a beautiful country with great people. Be aware of your surroundings and treat it like you would in your own home town and you should be fine. There are many stories from different sources. I have not encountered that the times I have been there and had great experiences. I have no problem returning and plan to, as mentioned. You can have bad experiences in your own town if you are not vigilant. Just be aware and try to enjoy.

I've visited Falmouth a number of times over the past few years, it is a sleepy little town where we have bought groceries, walked around, and taken a few photos. No one has ever said a word to us when we are there (and my friend is a tall blond woman, not easily missed!). About the worst I've ever experienced is being stared at by school children who are not accustomed to seeing tourists, and of course a smile is the only response you need to give there! I think the population is about 5,000. They have a big market day but I've never gone to it as the town is much busier and crowded on those days.

However, once the cruise port is done and the ships start docking, I expect Falmouth to change drastically, and I fear it will become more like Ocho Rios with the hustlers and harassment. I'll certainly be avoiding it on those days.

• 2 months later...
Oasis of the Seas' date=' Sept 2012, Falmouth listed as a port of call. Thanks for your insight.[/quote']

We are scheduled to be there in January on the Navigator OTS. Currently researching beach resorts for day passes etc. Looking forward to seeing this area of Jamica.

Kathy:)

However, once the cruise port is done and the ships start docking, I expect Falmouth to change drastically, and I fear it will become more like Ocho Rios with the hustlers and harassment. I'll certainly be avoiding it on those days.

Sadly, this is what tourism t has done to so many parts of Jamaica. Before the ship docks or the shuttle shows up, places known for peace and tranquility are ruined by uniformed tourists and pushy vendors. May God Bless Falmouth and her people. Historic Falmouth will be something of the past before we know it, and the reputation ruined long before the first ship docks.

OP-Jamaica is a third world country, dirt is a commodity like food and obesity are that of the US. Jamaica has a population of 2.5 millioms+....say no more on that. Some will try and sell you weed, mostly in the tourist areas where the demand by tourist is high. Finally there is no port in Falmouth but one scheduled to open eventually but as always be off schedule. Falmouth has not been branded as the tourist mecca as yet.

Fact: Jamaica has a high crime rate but primarily in Kingston, not a tourist destination. If being in a COUNTRY with a high crime rate, regardless of location is a problem, then consider skipping this and all ports in Jamaica. Due to the soil, Jamaica has weed that grows easily. If being offered it offends you then this port or any other would not be a good choice. Most Jamaicans are friendly but can be pushy in the tourist area. If poverty and minority bother you, then this or any other port in the country might not be for you. Above all Jamaica is a country and diverse in different area, people, attitude to dialect. The weed in Ocho Rios is quite different from the one in Montego Bay because of the altitude that it is grown....i was told.

Are they talking about Jamaica as a country or Falmouth in particular? Cruises do not normally go to Falmouth. RCI is building a pier there in conjunction with the local city to increase cruise ship calls to Jamaica. They have not begun to go there yet, but will soon. Our cruise is scheduled to stop there. Jamaica is a beautiful country with great people. Be aware of your surroundings and treat it like you would in your own home town and you should be fine. There are many stories from different sources. I have not encountered that the times I have been there and had great experiences. I have no problem returning and plan to, as mentioned. You can have bad experiences in your own town if you are not vigilant. Just be aware and try to enjoy.

I thought the Ryndam was scheduled to stop here on their Nov. cruise this year. Has this changed?

I thought the Ryndam was scheduled to stop here on their Nov. cruise this year. Has this changed?

It might have changed, but not yet formally. I don't know anything about the Ryndam though. They have not yet built a pier (doesn't seem likely prior to November or even February at this point) and not sure about the tender possibilities.

eta: I found this in another thread. Hope it helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1197072&page=2

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding your upcoming October 17, 2010 cruise on the ms Ryndam. We are unable to advise you of where the ship will dock on October 20, 2010 in Falmouth, Jamaica at this time. We are still in the process of confirming this information. We apologize for any incovenience this may cause.

When we have confirmed where the ship will dock we will let you know by email reply to xx@x.com.

Holland America is looking forward to welcoming you onboard in October. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,

to start docking there in mid October but no one at HAL seems to know what will replace it or whether it will be ready. It's still being shown on all the Ryndam itineraries. Someone will have to make a decision soon so they can book another port.

to start docking there in mid October but no one at HAL seems to know what will replace it or whether it will be ready. It's still being shown on all the Ryndam itineraries. Someone will have to make a decision soon so they can book another port.

I asked my TA about this issue and she went to RCI and asked them. They indicated the port is still listed as a stop and no decision will be made until closer to sail date, possibly even after we have set sail. Ocho Rios or a day at sea are the two most likely options they told her.

Archived