Can I bring Wine in a Box?

TexasMommy

I'm so glad I read this because it hadn't occured to me to bring a box of wine on. And even with the new limits, between the 2 of us (even though I'm the only one drinking it...:p) it will be fine. I guess it's time to start trying out the boxed wine! I've read that it's come quite a ways from the days when Franzia White Zin was your only option. I prefer red anyway, so I'm not too worried about keeping it on ice at all times.

We checked it, and while we were in Ketchikan we picked up another one and just walked it back on in a shopping bag.:)

Check around tho, most wanted 28.00 dollars but we found another little place off the beaten path that had it for 16.00 dollars. ;)

Thanks for the info! Did you hear of anyone having any smuggled booze taken out of their checked luggage?

Which brand of box wine do you prefer? I have tried a few of Target's brand and I must say they aren't too bad. I just have to get over the fact that they came from a box not a bottle!;):)

I'm so glad I read this because it hadn't occured to me to bring a box of wine on. And even with the new limits, between the 2 of us (even though I'm the only one drinking it...:p) it will be fine.

Sorry, the limit is 1 750ml bottle per person. Most box-o-wines come in 4litres size. That puts you well over your limit unless you are carrying it for 5 people.

Not saying you shouldn't do it - I might give it a try myself - but unless you find a 1.5 litre box, sadly you're way over your allowed 'legal' limit and risk having it confiscated.

Thanks for the info! Did you hear of anyone having any smuggled booze taken out of their checked luggage?

Which brand of box wine do you prefer? I have tried a few of Target's brand and I must say they aren't too bad. I just have to get over the fact that they came from a box not a bottle!;):)

We like the Carlo Rossi Chardonnay for cruising, good price and I personally like the taste. Hey for 16.00 if it get's confiscated your not out a lot of money;)

Our cabin steward knew we had it, he would leave clean wine glasses ever night in our cabin. :)

MEDIUM_8a7f422221f0c4270121f0d331e728ee.jpg

I packed a Black Box 3 L and a 1.5 L bottle of wine. I thought that if they took the Box until the end of the cruise I would still have my 1. 5 L. Well they hardly looked in my bag and on we went. 5/15/10 Dream

:):)just off the Dream out of Pt Canaveral on June 5th ....in 1 carry on bag we had 6.. 16oz bottles of Gatorade and a 3liter box of white zinfandel that I bought in Sam's for $ 10.00..no problem but I did have to remve 1shelf out of the fridge for the week..the spigot works well too...This was my 1st time with boxed wine and it worked well...p.s. we live in Tampa and had no airlines to contend with..

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be sort of a "different" question regarding bringing wine on board. We are traveling with a family of non-drinkers - not because they just choose not to drink, but because they feel it is morally wrong (I also think there may have been an alcoholic uncle or something like that). I'm wondering how obvious security makes it that you have wine in your carry-on. I wouldn't want them to hold it up or announce out loud that I am carrying wine. Out of respect for this family, I do not plan to drink in their presence - so, obviously, stowing some away in my luggage - whether carry-on or checked - for consumption in the cabin is a must!;)

Would I be better off to put it in my checked luggage and keep my fingers crossed that its not confiscated?

This is going to be sort of a "different" question regarding bringing wine on board. We are traveling with a family of non-drinkers - not because they just choose not to drink, but because they feel it is morally wrong (I also think there may have been an alcoholic uncle or something like that). I'm wondering how obvious security makes it that you have wine in your carry-on. I wouldn't want them to hold it up or announce out loud that I am carrying wine. Out of respect for this family, I do not plan to drink in their presence - so, obviously, stowing some away in my luggage - whether carry-on or checked - for consumption in the cabin is a must!;)

Would I be better off to put it in my checked luggage and keep my fingers crossed that its not confiscated?

I put my bottles of wine inside some tube socks, wrapped in towels inside a softside cooler (to use in the room to keep soda's cold etc). Just out of the x-ray machine, they opened the cooler, unwrapped the bottles, removed them from the socks and spent a good 30 seconds looking at each bottle. There is no way that this exam and subsequent re-packing could have gone unnoticed by my family.

If you choose to carry on, find an excuse to go through an x-ray machine that is nowhere near the main party or well ahead of your party so you have time to re-hide your stash if they do take a look.

Do you have some like-minded people in your party that have a room of their own? You could order from Bon Voyage and have all the wine waiting in this room for you. You can transport it to your room when convenient. More expensive but maybe worth is not to stress out your family or yourself.

I would suggest you really not worry what the other non-drinkers think of you having a drink. Just enjoy your vacation and let the non-drinkers do their own thing.

We ended up buying 2 wine in a box, Target brand. The little ones that are equal to 2 bottles so they are legal. We'll prob bring both and if they confiiscate one, oh well Will get it back at end of cruise.

Also broke down and ordered rum from Bon Voyage, so legal there!

Will let you know how it goes. Sail out Sunday. Will enjoy my "Target" wine I hope on our balcony.

There are some very good screw top wines out there these days...Bonnie Doon Vineyards makes good California wines with clever names that are screw top. Kim Crawford Vineyards out of New Zealand are also screw top. These are under $15 per bottle. Threre are others. Screw tops are no longer indicative of Thunderbird and Annie Green Springs. No need to lug a wine box around.

:o Just as a point of interest, wine enthusiasts refer to the screw tops as Stelvin Closures. It's fun and sometimes impressive to throw that name around when in the company of those that might know (wine snobs, waiters, bartenders, sommeliers . . lol). :D

We ended up buying 2 wine in a box, Target brand. The little ones that are equal to 2 bottles so they are legal. We'll prob bring both and if they confiiscate one, oh well Will get it back at end of cruise.

Also broke down and ordered rum from Bon Voyage, so legal there!

Will let you know how it goes. Sail out Sunday. Will enjoy my "Target" wine I hope on our balcony.

Let us know how it goes! I recently bought a few of Target's box wines to try them out and I was pleasantly surprised with the Chardonnay. Perfect size to put in carryon!

Have a great cruise!

Do you have some like-minded people in your party that have a room of their own? You could order from Bon Voyage and have all the wine waiting in this room for you. You can transport it to your room when convenient. More expensive but maybe worth is not to stress out your family or yourself.

We are actually not sharing a cabin with this family and are even on separate decks (we're on Main; they're on Riveria). Think I could just order from BV and have it delivered to my cabin? Not sure how that works . . .

FWIW, I don't expect that they will be in my cabin very often, so I'm not particularly worried about them seeing the wine.

Archived