Navigator Deck 7

We have been offered cabins 728 or 731 - these are next to and opposite blank squares on the deck plan. Could anyone advise me what is situated in this location and any pros or cons. Many thanks for your input.

We have been offered cabins 728 or 731 - these are next to and opposite blank squares on the deck plan. Could anyone advise me what is situated in this location and any pros or cons. Many thanks for your input.

We spent 10 days in 731 this past January. The space across is for room stewardess access. We never noticed except to see smiling faces more often.

The location itself was ideal. The elevator is really close, but there is no fuss associated with it because it is isolated from the suites. The Atrium and staircases were right there. Down one set of steps to reception, the library and such, down two stairs to the Grand Dining room, walk straight aft to get to the upper (more convenient) entrance to the theater, the location has got to be one of the best on the ship. No noise, no vibration, and I can assure you that the sliding door to the balcony worked better than any other on the ship, because they completely rebuilt the slides one day while we were on excursion.

I would book this suite again without hesitation.

We have stayed in 729 several times. The blank square you are referring to is the stairway used by the crew. On our last stay in 729 (slightly over a year ago), the door used to access the stairway squeaked every time it was opened. If possible, I would suggest moving slightly forward to 726 or 727.

Thanks very much Pookie2 and Don and Betsy for your helpful comments. We will be able to talk to our TA with a little more knowledge now. Its always helfpful to have input from folks who have actually been on the ship.

Don and Betsy - I really admire your schedule and see that you have lots of cruising ahead of you. We got hooked on the 6 star standard on Oceania Insignia a couple of years ago and have sailed on the Seabourn Legend late last year and now have the upcoming Regent cruise to the Eastern Caribbean next February - I note you have done this particular cruise - any tips re excursions?

Thanks once again.

and now have the upcoming Regent cruise to the Eastern Caribbean next February - I note you have done this particular cruise - any tips re excursions?

Whether one likes the excursions is almost as personal as whether one likes the food :confused:.

But, I'll tell you what we liked and didn't, and you can apply your own judgment.

The visit to Princess Cay in the Bahamas was only moderately interesting to us. It was January, the water was still chilly, the water sports equipment on the beach was extra cost, and about the only thing left (other than the food they catered from the ship) was to climb the steps to a 3 story observation tower (eats up about 10 minutes) and to walk from one end of the mostly deserted beach to the other. It might have been more interesting if we were not from Florida (it was just like a beach at home), and if we were younger (one couple brought their wet suits and went snorkeling -- I don't thing anyone else did more than dipping their toes). Our 30-something son and daughter-in-law were there in the heat of Summer, on their honeymoon, on a Princess cruise, and enjoyed it immensely. It's one of those places that's designed to be thronged with people; our group looked a little lonely amidst the hundreds of beach lounges.

We reached San Juan on a festival day. We were several hours later, because the ship was bucking an unfavorable current, and the vibration really picked up if the Captain opened the throttles enough to make better time. The old city was closed off and turned into a pedestrian area. It was packed. We had signed up for a city tour combined with the Bacardi Rum distillery, but half of the tour was out of the question. the traffic was nearly impossible. We ended up going to the Bacardi plant, which was moderately interesting, and then back to the ship. We almost didn't make it back due to the traffic and closed streets. We went around a block 4 times before our driver convinced a policeman to let us make a left turn onto the dock; another small tour bus never made it, and dumped their passengers about 4 blocks away to walk back, with no guide. We considered walking into the Old City to see some of the festival, but by then, it was raining.

We were signed up for the America's Cup Challenge in St. Maarten; this was to be the highlight of our tours, because it was been voted "Best Excursion in the Caribbean" for at least ten years. But, the weather was still against us, and the rtour was canceled. We took a water taxi to the downtown area, walked one direction on Front Street and the other direction on Back Street, then went back to the ship.

In St. Barts, we had signed up for two tours -- an island overview, and the Yellow Submarine tour of the harbor, a semi-submersible. I'll take the latter one first -- we were waitlisted #1 for the 11:00 AM tour, and no one had turned in any tickets. The extraordinarily capable destinations manager, Cinthya (that's how she spells it), said that if we were shoreside and at the beginning of the tour at 11:00, someone might not show. That's exactly what happened; we got the last two spots on the boat when someone held on to their tickets and did not show up. One rides in the below-water hull section, with glass windows, and sees plenty of sealife. Recommended.

Back to the first tour, the island overview, we got really lucky. We were assigned to a van with a guide who had not only lived there his entire life, but was the heir to 16 generations on the island, dating back over 400 years. Needless to say, he knew everything about the island! By the way, the roads are narrow and confusing, the other drivers are nuts, everyone is in a hurry to get somewhere else on the small island, and I do NOT recommend renting a car.

On to Cayo Levantado, which, despite the name, is still Samana, Dominican Republic. Except Regent does not tender anyone to the main nation unless they are on an organized tour. That's just as well, because the area around Samana is essentially a poverty-stricken wasteland. I read some reviews of the "mainland" tours, and they were generally not recommended.

I don't know why cruise ships call there. It was our third time in Samana. The first was in 1980, the second was in 2006, and there was little or no improvement. Essentially, your viable choices are to tender to the small harbor island resort of Cayo Levantado, either for an added-cost day at the resort, or a no-cost stay at the public beach on the Cay; or to take one of the boat tours to the national park on the other side of the bay. One of those tours involves kayaking part of the way, for the younger generation :rolleyes:. We took the "speedboat" ride to the park (about 45 minutes in a fast, but comfortable, open boat with rows of seats), then leisurely cruised among the mangroves, and disembarked to tour a natural cave. It was interesting, and worth the somewhat boring boat ride, but if we had to pay for it, we would have stayed on the ship. Believe it or not we will be going back to Samana for the 4th time next April on Oceania Regatta, but only because the other ports (Charlestown, SC, Yorktown and Williamsburg, Hamilton, Bermuda and San Jaun) are interesting. We'll stay on the ship, next year.

Next was Virgin Gorda, we'd been there before, but we had only walked around, not toured the island until the excursions were included; also my health was not as good on the first visit, and I didn't think I'd be able to negotiate the steep path down to the Baths and back. We took an island overview tour, which was interesting, and which stopped at the gift shop at the Baths as it's last stop; we got off the tour at that point, made our way down to the Baths, enjoyed that area for a while, then took a private taxi back to the ship ($3 per person). Not a bad tour.

The last stop was the Turks and Caicos Islands. We had never been there. For all intents and purposes, we still have not really been there. The ships dock at a new tourist area dome distance from Grand Turk, loaded with tourist shops like Ron Jon surf shop, which started out about 60 miles from our home. Some day, we will get into Grand Turk, but on this visit, we took the excursion to Gibb's Cay to swim with the stingrays. It was a relatively short boat ride and a unique experience. It was fun.

Overall, counting the "picnic" on Princess Cay (to which anyone can go), we booked 8 excursions for 7 ports. All of the excursions in the Caribbean are not much different than those you might book for yourself, so the free excursions really works on a cruise like this. However, cheapskates that we are, we would not have paid extra for half of them.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write your views on the excursions which will be very helpful when the time comes to book. In the past we have often been unimpressed with excursions and have tended to do our own thing. However, as they are included, we thought we might try a few this time. Your observations will be very helpful.

Regarding the Dominican Republic, we too have been to Samara and thought Cayo Levante would somewhere different! We sometimes like to stay on the ship and enjoy the facilities, which isn't too much of a hardship!! We are hoping that the weather will be good - a change from the winter UK weather anyway.

Many thanks.

Archived