Alaskan Packing Tips?

alaskandreamer

Hi

We are going to Alaska on a 14 day cruisetour in July.

Can anyone help give us some tips on how to pack clothing for so many days. It may sound like a stupid question but we are first time cruisers and packing everything from hiking boats, to fleeces to a suit and tie for formal nights is really a challenge. With the air line baggage restrictions and extra costs for bags we are really trying to pack as efficiently as possible.

Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi

We are going to Alaska on a 14 day cruisetour in July.

Can anyone help give us some tips on how to pack clothing for so many days. It may sound like a stupid question but we are first time cruisers and packing everything from hiking boats, to fleeces to a suit and tie for formal nights is really a challenge. With the air line baggage restrictions and extra costs for bags we are really trying to pack as efficiently as possible.

Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

You will need less than you think- twice as much money, half the clothes works for Alaska too. The hiking boots are a challenge, but plan on layers from short sleeve to the fleece. We are doing jeans, which never get dirty, for excursions. One pair each. You can get them washed on board if you really need to. We bring along none of the things that some people do- no electrical strips, no clocks, no duct tape. We do bring binoculars. We ship some wine from online for us to carry on to our hotel in whatever city you are leaving from. I'd work backwards from your excursion days- what do you really need for those days. What can you wear again and again. Or what can you rinse out and dry over night. If your hiking boots are big- wear them on the plane. Nobody really notices what you are wearing on board. Be comfortable. And if you get there and really find you didn't bring something important- Alaska is not Siberia. We manage with a rolling carry on each and a large, oversized "pocket book" into which I put my real pocketbook. Put everything you think you need/want in a pile and then start pulling things out. I usually do this for about a week before things go into the suitcase. Works for me, although other people really need/want to bring far more variety of clothes. Good luck and you'll have a great time!

I am in the middle of the packing issues since we are leaving Thursday for 9 days. I have to take more stuff than the previous person. The ship supplies shampoos/lotion/soaps/hair dryer so cross that off. I need my curling iron and makeup. For dinners I bring 3 pair of dressy black pants then a variety of tops for dinner, 2 fancy for formal nights with some jewelry. I take 3 pair of jeans and 4 tops. Some ships have a self serve washer/dryer but all have laundry that is pricy if you get desparate. I have a polar fleece zip up jacket, sweater and rain poncho. I only take 3 pair of shoes, wear hikers, dress pair for dinner,tennis shoes. It was warm when we went in Sept. so you might want to take a pair of shorts because you might have 2 or 3 seasons in one day. I lay out all of my stuff then put about 1/3 of it back and I still usually overpack a little. Good luck, have a wonderful cruise, Alaska is spectacular!;)

Check the ship for a self service laundary or consider sending clothes to the ships laundary. Cheaper than an extra suite case.

You can wear clothes more than once so pack very light.

Also mix your clothes between suite cases in case one get lost.

Pack worn out clothes that you can through out so you have some room for what you buy.

3 pairs of black slacks for 9 days.....too many.

I quit taking jeans to Alaska a very long time ago. When it is cold I wear wool (IceBreaker brand) and when it is warm I wear wash and hang dry overnight nylon blend pants.

Ex Officio and similar.

I do a great deal of walking and hiking, but haven't taken actual hiking boots up to Alaska in decades. I wear shoes that are made for serious walking and do fine.

Having the ship do some of your laundry is cheaper than paying airline baggage fees.

In my view the most important things are a pair of decent shoes that have been sprayed a couple time with waterproofing. A good decent waterproof jacket ... non-lined...if lined then be sure it zips out, a fleece, a sweater, cap and gloves.

I am in the middle of the packing issues since we are leaving Thursday for 9 days. I have to take more stuff than the previous person. The ship supplies shampoos/lotion/soaps/hair dryer so cross that off. I need my curling iron and makeup. For dinners I bring 3 pair of dressy black pants then a variety of tops for dinner, 2 fancy for formal nights with some jewelry. I take 3 pair of jeans and 4 tops. Some ships have a self serve washer/dryer but all have laundry that is pricy if you get desparate. I have a polar fleece zip up jacket, sweater and rain poncho. I only take 3 pair of shoes, wear hikers, dress pair for dinner,tennis shoes. It was warm when we went in Sept. so you might want to take a pair of shorts because you might have 2 or 3 seasons in one day. I lay out all of my stuff then put about 1/3 of it back and I still usually overpack a little. Good luck, have a wonderful cruise, Alaska is spectacular!;)

We were (note were) notorious overpackers - no matter where we went but we did so well going to Spain in March that we know we can go light. For ex. I agree that 3 pairs of dressy pants is a lot. I am taking one long black skirt and two dressy tops for fancy nights. All other dinners will be anything but shorts i.e. capris. Do you really need the sweater and fleece? I am asking this for myself since we are going in July and I am wondering what to pack. I don't know - once upon a time I would take 6 pair of pants for 9 days but with the luggage issue and then realizing I work 3 pairs for 9 nights - well anyway. I used to bring dressy items - two years ago it was my gown for my daughter's wedding - people do get that dressed up. No way anymore - but that's just me.

You do need a waterproof jacket and clothing you can layer, especially if you are going to be in Glacier Bay. Many people don't have the right clothes for Glacier Bay and cannot stay outside to enjoy the scenery.

We used to say 'time is money' but now we say 'weight in your suitcase costs you money.'

Do not believe the cruise line brochures. Most people do not dress up all fancy on formal nights in Alaska. That is marketing! Most people dress nicely, but taking a long gown to Alaska is just plain silly.

I packed rain gear (fully expecting rain on this trip)hiking boots, sweaters.

The only things I used were the hiking boots (came in handy on the Skagway train up into the snow!) and the sweaters. And, even then, after a few days I ditched the sweaters LOL Of course, we had wonderful weather in Alaska for May :D:D:D:D I was told July and August are the two hotter months, so i probably wouldn't have taken the boots and rain gear had I gone then...but, the sweaters would probably come in handy on the windy deck, but i don't know...

Do not believe the cruise line brochures. Most people do not dress up all fancy on formal nights in Alaska. That is marketing! Most people dress nicely, but taking a long gown to Alaska is just plain silly.

Really? As someone who never gets to dress up, one of the things I was looking forward to most on the ship was going all out for formal night with a long evening gown. My husband was looking forward to wearing his tux. Would we look ridiculous if we did this?

You will read all kinds of stuff from people. On my first Alaska cruise, I packed everything but the kitchen sink. Since that time, I've skinnied it down a lot. In fact, my husband and I can pack in one suitcase along with each of us carrying a backpack.

As for clothing - forget blue jeans and sweaters - pack all in coordinating colors - I pack for one week and wash clothing about midway through - I pack two pair of casual black pants and wear those ever day - one pair of dress black pants for casual dinners - one black dress for all four dress up days - one pair of black dress shoes for wearing with the dress and the nice pants. As for shoes - one dress pair, one pair of hiking boots, one pair of tennis shoes and I wear the hiking boots on the plane. As for coats, shirts and rain gear - take a light fleece jacket (or buy one there as I found cheaper ones there), one good rain coat, a handful of layering shirts (I avoid sweaters and sweatshirts as they are bulky to pack). As for others - camera, binoculars, sticky notes, highlighter, coffee mugs, bug spray, sunscreen, sunglasses, laundry bag, travel alarm clock, ziplock baggies, backpack, light hat and gloves, medications, toiletries.

I hope this helps. Lay out what you want to take and cut it by 1/3 is my rule.

Really? As someone who never gets to dress up, one of the things I was looking forward to most on the ship was going all out for formal night with a long evening gown. My husband was looking forward to wearing his tux. Would we look ridiculous if we did this?

I haven't been on many cruises but like I said I have always taken a gown or something very dressy. Then last cruise a woman with whom we sat wore black pants with dressy tops. You won't look silly. People go the gamut on cruises. Some, as you, love to get dressed up. Just have fun and be who you are.

I'll be wearing my tux next week too. After all, the main reason I purchased one was to wear on cruises!

You won't look ridiculous but be prepared to see a lot of your fellow passengers dressed less formally even on formal nights. Since you are looking forward to going all out, please yourself and don't worry about others.:)

Archived