Pearl - 5/9/10 - Review

Pearlieq

Thank you so much for your great review -- we are in the process of deciding between DCL and NCL for Alaska next summer. We have done DCL three times and RCI and Celebrity once each, but our family members will be first time cruisers.

For us, DCL would be much more expensive. We wouldn't spring for a minisuite; as long as we have a balcony, we don't really care how big the cabin is. (I hope I don't end up eating those words . . . ), so we'd be comparing a DCL balcony with an NCL balcony. The difference is significant. Also significant is the difference in cost for the third person in a cabin -- we are a family of five and we get two cabins. On NCL it is, I believe, $499 (it might be $599) for the 3rd person in a cabin; on DCL it is over $1100 (at least for a teenager).

Also for us, we feel like we've done all of the DCL activities, seen the shows, etc. Surprisingly, our 3 teenagers do not feel that way and would choose DCL in a heartbeat. They like the fact that DCL is all about kids--although trust me, they wouldn't complain about any cruise!

I'm curious when your last DCL cruise was. Ours was 2 years ago, but I've heard that they, too, have cut back due to the economy, so I'm wondering if we would also be a bit disappointed if we compared our memory of DCL to a DCL cruise today.

I'm curious when your last DCL cruise was. Ours was 2 years ago, but I've heard that they, too, have cut back due to the economy, so I'm wondering if we would also be a bit disappointed if we compared our memory of DCL to a DCL cruise today.

Our last DCL cruise was in Feb of this year. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the tough economy has hurt everyone.

I don't particularly remember any service or amenity cuts, but I do know DCL is constantly tinkering so something always changes.

Except, that is, for the entertainment! It's all exactly the same. I can recite that tennis ball guy's act along with him now. I think it's different for the kids/teens because their experience is much more social and activity based--they don't care if they're doing the same activity because they're hanging out with old and new friends and it's a new experience for them. We're the ones bored stiff at the appetizer demo we've seen 3 times. :)

If the cost different were really significant, NCL would be even more appealing to me. Between the lower cost and the fact that the ship is so much bigger and has more entertainment options, I think it might be a great fit for an active family with teens.

I think you are right, and I appreciate your input!

My only concern is that my mother tends to have very high standards at restaurants. I know she would be happy with Disney's food and would love Palo; I'm worried that she might be disappointed with the food on NCL.

I think she's going to book a suite if we go NCL, though, so the suite perks might make up for any difference in the food.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

7:45am was the posted time, but I'm not sure if they actually opened the gangway then since I was still fast asleep!

We walked off around 8:45am with no hassle and light-moderate crowds.

that will work..hopefully we will be as lucky..since our flight is at 11:30am. As much as I want my vacation to continue, I don't want to ruin it by missing my flight

Glad you had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with you on most of your opinions. Especially the food. Although I think you are being very generous to compare even the Specialty Resteraunt quality to Applebee's. It's much closer to Denny's, even with the upcharge.

I sure wish the Applebee's and Denny's around here were as good as yours obviously is :)

Archived