Kahekili Hwy (340) on Maui - not as bad as people say it is!

Jenbo57

I had read so much discussion on these boards about how awful this stretch of road is; I'm here to tell you, it's really not! We were on the POA last week; our intention was to drive the Honoapiilani Hwy. (30) just until Lipoa Point, but it's such beautiful coastline that we kept saying, "let's just see what's around the next corner", 'til all of a sudden we found ourselves on the "dreaded" highway 340!

Is 340 narrow? Yes! Does the driver have to have his/her hands on the wheel & eyes on the road at all times? Certainly. Are there hairpin turns, blind corners, and sections where, if you went over the edge, you'd plunge hundreds of feet to certain death? Absolutely! But the views are amazing, the Old Kahakuluo Village that you pass through is quite lovely, and let's not forget Julia's banana bread (although she was closed for the day when we were there)! I wouldn't do it on a rainy day, or after dark, but on a nice, sunny day we wouldn't hesitate to go out that way again. (And yes, I do know that being on this stretch of road violates your rental car contract.)

Here are a couple of photos just to give you an idea...

In most cases, we had plenty of room when a car approached us from the opposite direction.

872258975_r26BM-M.jpg

Church in Old Kahakuloa Village

872259009_r666M-M.jpg

The famous Julia's! (She must have sold out early in the day!)

872259173_gWY9n-M.jpg

872259272_kHsww-M.jpg

Much of the road looked just like this, although a lot of it had sheer rock walls on the passenger side. I was more worried about falling rocks than going over the edge!

872259301_2wRLL-M.jpg

872259326_2WZha-M.jpg

it brings back good memories...but,,,just to mention,,,after we enjoyed the drive and returned our car, we read too late, that that particular road WASNT covered for accidents in rental agreement...not sure if still true, this was almost 2 yrs ago,,,but something to check ahead of time, or just hope for the best....a heads up for future drivers....;).

Well my better half would disagree !

However, as you say, once you've passed Kahakuloa heading for Wailuku, it's OK.

I did look at the rental agreement - it was back when you still got the NCR paper sheet with the "small print" on the back, and found nothing about Hwy340 or the "passed" Hana road & beyond.

One one trip Hwy 30 east of Lahaina was closed for hours due to a wreck so anyone that had to go to the airport etc that day had no choice but to take scenic 340 :)

Archived