Norwegian Sun???????

dksailaway

My wife and I are contemplating cruising on the NORWEGIAN SUN.

Any feedback about the ship would be helpful !

Please include your reviews and critiques to help us figure out if we should

go forward booking on the SUN!!!

Thanks!!

Dksailaway

My Husband and I sailed on the NCL Sun to celebrate our 30th anniversary back in Jan. 2006. This was our first cruise together. It was wonderful and ever since that first experience we are hooked on cruising! We had a balcony mid ship cabin. We thought service was excellent and what really impressed us from the get go was when we left our cabin for the first time our room steward said hello and called us by name. We thought "how in the world did he know who we were"? I know things can change in 4 years, but we thought the Sun was a beautiful ship. The food was good and we enoyed the "free style". They'd always ask when we entered the dining room what size of table we wanted? Sometimes we chose a table for 2, other times if we wanted to socialize we'd choose a large table. The chocolate buffet was awesome! We did a one week cruise of the W.C. At the end of the week, we did not want to get off!

Pam

We have had mixed experiences on the Sun. In 2006, we sailed her to Alaska and had a great time. The service, staff, activities, etc were terrific. Most recently, we sailed the Sun in November 2009, and it was a lousy cruise. The ship was run down, the staff was unhappy, service was poor, and entertainment/activities were non-existent. After such a wonderful prior experience, we were taken aback and somewhat disappointed. After many, many service complaints, NCL ended up giving us a credit for a future cruise. They tried to do the right thing, and we appreciate it. Even though we do not plan to sail on the Sun again, we have not given up on NCL. We'll be sailing in the Mediterranean (Jade) this November.

We recall reading post after post prior to our Nov 2009 sailing on the Sun that indicated that something was awry. We have no idea what contributed to the poor service. We hope all has changed and that the Sun is once again living up to the level of service it once did.

We just returned from the SUN's 15 day transatlantic sailing to Europe and our post cruise tour of Great Britain. We THOROUGHLY enjoyed our 15 nights on the SUN and the service was wonderful! No complaings on the service whatsoever! We booked one of the larger II inside cabins and were amazed that our cabin was actually larger than the balcony cabin across the hall from us on deck 10! Our room stewards were wonderful and even found me a bathrobe to use and a coffee maker for the entire trip! We had a full size couch and LOADS of storage in our cabin as well. Do keep in mind that the majority of the public rooms (all dining and the theater, too) are located in the aft of the ship. The only public rooms in the front of the ship are the spa/fitness area on deck 11 and the lovely Observation Lounge on deck 12. We had no problem with the food or service although I did notice there was lobster offered in the dining room (very small tail part with grouper) only one night out of our 15 and it was the same night as the Beef Wellington and there was not much beef offered at all on the daily menus, although there was the steak option each night on their 'always available' part of the menu. There also was very little fish, but again, they had the 'always available' salmon entree. We found the desserts, particularly chocolate, EXCELLENT on the SUN!! Also the many breads, including NCL's delicious pretzel bread options at the buffet!!

The buffet itself leaves a LOT to be desired as a venue as it is very busy and poorly designed compared to some of the newer NCL ships I have sailed like the Jewel and Jade, for instance.

We had an absolutely GLORIOUS itinerary on our transatlantic crossing and a very active Cruise Critic group that planned a number of group activities and small group excursions together, so I am sure that helped color our sailing on the SUN as wonderful as well! The entertainment was very good, too. A couple of acts I did not personally care about, but on the whole very entertaining and the shows were all rteally well attended. You needed to get there early to get a good seat at EITHER show! The three Jean Ann Ryan producton shows were excellent with four very good singers and top-notch dancing. The Pan production was particularly well done - almost ballet-like with some fabulous dancing and gymnastic elements. VERY impressive!

There were no LIVE speakers for NCL University on our sailing - just a few well-done films on explorers and on the history of cruising, but they were BETTER than some speakers I have 'endured' on some previous sailings, so no complaints there. They also help a number of drink tastings for a fee - mojito, martinis, and a beer one come to mind. I have not completely finished my reviuew yet, but this will be a part of it. would not hesitiate to book theSUN againif the itinerary was something I wanted and the price right. In fact, we are booked for next year's spring transatlantic that will end in Copenhagen and then have a Baltic cruise on another cruise line) planned for after the end of our transtlantic.

I'm going on her in October!!! YAY! I am not worried, its a cruise, its a transatlantic, and it was within my budget!! PLUS its going to Portugal where I have never been before, so I can cross that off my map.

I think we will have a great time, I know the Roll Call members seem to be really a fun bunch so I hope we will have more than just a M&G.

My husband and I are going on the Norweigan Sun Baltic Cruise starting Aug 3, and would like to take small group tour while in St. Petersburg. Anyone out there interested in joining us? We are young 60's and active .

Hi New City Gal: Go back to the home page of these boards and scroll down about half way and you'll find Roll Calls. Click on Norwegian and if you scroll down you will possibly find a thread already started for that date for the Sun. If not, start your own. Good luck and great cruising.

My wife and I are contemplating cruising on the NORWEGIAN SUN.

Any feedback about the ship would be helpful !

Please include your reviews and critiques to help us figure out if we should

go forward booking on the SUN!!!

Thanks!!

Dksailaway

We cruised to Alaska last summer on the Sun and had a wonderful time. The ship is a little worn around the edges but it's very clean and the crew were awesome. Very personable bunch. The only drawback is the lack of seating in the buffet. However, there are plenty of seats in the rooms nearby if you don't mind moving.

We stayed in a balcony room which was a little dated but clean. The cabins were about the same size as on other ships but the storage was fantastic. In fact we were surprised that there was so much storage for clothing,etc. The bathrooms were cramped but adequate. They provide shampoo and shower gel but no conditioner.

The forward observation lounge is a much underused venue on the whole ship. It was wonderful to sit there, sipping a drink and whiling away the afternoon. There's a little bar lounge right there so it's quite convenient. All the action seems to happen in the aft parts of the ship which is where most of the dining rooms are located.

There is a pool but we never went in cause it was too cool in Alaska. It didn't seem like a very large area like there is on other ships but then we're not really laying by the pool type people so we don't care.

I thought the food was good although it was not high-end gourmet but again we don't cruise to eat so we were more than satisfied. We booked the Sun again this year and are going to the Baltics on her.

Any questions, I will be happy to answer. Hope you have a great cruise whatever you decide.

Edie

I cruised the Sun in Feb. 2009. I was in the awesome PH aft AC 9076, which of course helped influence my positive experience. I don't care for buffets, so I only went once for breakfast, since I had an early excursion.

Maybe it's not the flashiest girl in the fleet, but of the 7 different cruise ships I have sailed on, the Sun is the one I feel most sentimental about.

I adored Il Adagio. But gosh darn, it got to be a running joke that it took me almost all of the 14 day cruise for me to pronounce it correctly! :). But no matter, I give it a 10 for ambience, service and food!

I was on the NCL site the other day and looking at prices on the Sun and my AC. I have a cruise reward and may have to book something for 2011 on the Sun. I'd love to revisit her.

Archived