Copenhagen and Talinn

Are these cities close to where the ship docks?

If so, I would like folks' opinions on whether to book an excursion at either of these ports or is it just as easy to see these ports "on your own"?

Thanks!

Let me first suggest that in Tallinn (and if you are able to walk a couple miles), do it on your own!

This quaint, ancient city is a must to explore. There are narrow alleys, huge city walls, cafe's and lots of shops along with a great history. You will not be disappointed.

From the ship it is an easy walk to go to the main attractions and if you like walking, check out the following:

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

For more details, I suggest you keep looking at this forum. There are tons of comments and suggestions hidden here somewhere. And many will follow by people who love this city as much as we did.

BTW You can also find details of what to do 'on our own' in Copenhagen on our web site. But, again, you will get lots more here now:::::

Yes, both of these cities are very easy to do opn your own. In Tallinn, the ship docks maybe 10 minutes from the 'old city'. Make sure you search out, print out and use Lair Bears terrific walking tour of Tallinn. It is, without a doubt, the ideal way to see this wonderful city.

Copenhagen is a bit more spread out, but depending on where you dock, it is very east to navigate on your own. Most things are in a sort of compact 1-2 mile radius round trip, and it is just a wonderful experience to walk around the streets and explore a bit on your own.

Cheers

Len

Yes, both of these cities are very easy to do opn your own. In Tallinn, the ship docks maybe 10 minutes from the 'old city'. Make sure you search out, print out and use Lair Bears terrific walking tour of Tallinn. It is, without a doubt, the ideal way to see this wonderful city.

Copenhagen is a bit more spread out, but depending on where you dock, it is very east to navigate on your own. Most things are in a sort of compact 1-2 mile radius round trip, and it is just a wonderful experience to walk around the streets and explore a bit on your own.

Cheers

Len

Thank you Len, but please, show CrazyDog and his friends from Sao Paolo some of your pictures of those two places.

CrazyDog, obviously you have found out that your tour of the Baltic will be something special for all of you. And it was for us!!! You should have a great trip with all your friends. Bon voyage, Têm uma grande viagem.

As Lair Bear said, Myself and Terry post a lot of pix from many of the cities on this cruise. Copenhagen ad Tallinn are just so picturesque it is really hard not to take a good pix.

Here are a few examples of each city

Don't know when you are cruising there. If you dock at Langeline pier in Copenhagen, which is a hop, skip and a jump from where the Little Mermaid statue is. Unfortunately, she is off visiting China this year, so if you are cruising this year, you will not be able to see her. (Her sister will be at Tivoli though, if you really want to view it).

But not far from the pier is this magnificent church in a country like setting

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe353.jpg

As you asked, Copenhagen is a very walkable city. A short walk from Langeline pier you will come to the Nyhavn section. A sort of harbor are where you must do the canal boat tour. Afterwards spend a few minutes walking both sides of the section for some wonderful shops, restaurants etc.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

Rosenborg Castle is another place you must visit. There you can view the Crown Jewels and be sure to take a walk thru the magnificent rose gardens

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe340.jpg

Off to Tallinn, where you wonder around thru the walled city with just so much to explore

The Main gate at Fat Margaret Tower

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster511.jpg

Bring good walking shoes as there are so many narrow, cobblestone streets to explore

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe587.jpg

The main square in Tallinn where you can rest, have some great food and just sit and relax and people watch

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster602.jpg

Cheers

Len

Lair Bear and Len,

Thank you for your awesome tips and links!!! Because of your recommendations and experiences, we have decided to DIY at both ports! Hope the volcano doesn't mess up our flight plans!

Lair Bear,

How long is the distance from beginning to end on the Tallinnwalk map?

I checked this one time using Google Earth and it turned out to be a little under three miles. But keep in mind that there are so many little alleys and things to side track you, that the actual is probably a bit more. It is generally easy going, one up-hill stretch but also lots of cobble stone streets. If you are there for a full day, have lunch and do some shopping, it is very doable. I have no idea why some people still insist on having a 'guide' to show you what you can see for yourself.

Some folks have complained about the distance and cobble stone streets, but I didn't think it was a real issue for us. If you are in decent shape you should have no problems. One of our travel friends who is 84 years old and walks with a cane, had no difficulty and never complained.

b443.jpgb437.jpg

Lair Bear and Len,

Thank you for your awesome tips and links!!! Because of your recommendations and experiences, we have decided to DIY at both ports! Hope the volcano doesn't mess up our flight plans!

Always glad to help. You will not be sorry you are doing it yourself.

For Copenhagen, go to this web site http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/

It is just a wealth of info on Copenhagen. Where it says Contact us, get the email address and email them asking for some maps and things about Copenhagen. We did this and they sent us a wonderful map of Copenhagen and it included a great walking tour which we followed. It says it takes about 3 hours, but that is without stopping. It took us about 6-7 hours but we strolled along, detoured a few times, shopped a bit ate lunch, and did the canal boat tour along with the Changing of the guard. It is just a good guide as to how to approach Copenhagen by walking around.

Cheers

Len

I checked this one time using Google Earth and it turned out to be a little under three miles. But keep in mind that there are so many little alleys and things to side track you, that the actual is probably a bit more. It is generally easy going, one up-hill stretch but also lots of cobble stone streets. If you are there for a full day, have lunch and do some shopping, it is very doable. I have no idea why some people still insist on having a 'guide' to show you what you can see for yourself.

Some folks have complained about the distance and cobble stone streets, but I didn't think it was a real issue for us. If you are in decent shape you should have no problems. One of our travel friends who is 84 years old and walks with a cane, had no difficulty and never complained.

b443.jpgb437.jpg

Thanks, Lair Bear

As Lair Bear said, a lot of the fun in cities like this is to take a few 'detours' and try and discover some of the truly hidden gems of this city.

We went a few different ways, looking to just get away from some of the 'crowds'. We found this great little shop selling household things what we never saw anywhere else. We bought a gorgeous hand painted trivet and some dish towels, that my DW just loved. We like to shop and we never saw these same things in any other shop in Tallinn.

As for the walk 'uphill'. here is a shot of one of the streets that goes that way. It is not very steep, but it is cobblestone and a slight incline for a few blocks.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster537.jpg

Cheers

Len

somewhere, in my notes, I got that there's a shuttle from the pier into town...is that so?

Also, can anyone advise on alternate transportation if needed...not sure my 'walkability' will last throughout!

And...lastly...has anyone done the tunnel tour? Have a dozen in our cc group that want to go and I've volunteered to organize but now not sure I can do it myself! (May just organize and sit this one out!):cool:

Thanks so much!

We are in our sixties and found the walk into both areas to be an easy one. We spent around two hours doing a walking tour of Tallin that we found in one of Rick Steve's guides. That included doing some shopping and stopping for a coffee and pastry. We had a great lunch and a local beer at Old Hansa before walking back to the ship. This was one of our favorite ports. If you want to use the internet, there is an inexpensive internet stop just a short distance from the pier. Take your computer, Blackberry, etc.

In Copenhagen, we did it on our own and took a tour. We walked into town early (about 30 minutes to the Nyhaven canal boats). We took a canal boat tour (Check the prices, some are cheaper than others.). After coffee and a pastry (seems to be a pattern), we walked back to the ship. That afternoon we took a bus tour that included the Ice Bar. We left the bus at the Ice Bar and again walked back to the ship stopping to shop along the way. The Ice Bar was a disappointment, but we learned a lot on the bus tour. Copenhagen is an easy place to find your way around and I think you could do it on your own.

Linda and Bob

Anyone been in Tallinn on a Sunday. Heard all shops are closed...yes or no?

We were in Tallin on a Sunday and had no problems with anything being closed.

Linda and Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Are these cities close to where the ship docks?

If so, I would like folks' opinions on whether to book an excursion at either of these ports or is it just as easy to see these ports "on your own"?

Thanks!

I cruised out of Copenhagen last week. All the docks are near the town, so it's easy to see the city on your own. I had a full day post cruise last Sunday and got a 24-hour train ticket that gives all trains, metro, buses in the Greater Copenhagen area, for Kr.125. First I went to Roskilde to see the Viking ships at the museum there. http://vikingeskibsmuseet.dk You can go into the museum and see the ships and displays/info without needing to pay entrance fee to get close to them. Nice 20 minute walk from the station through the park and there are gorgeous old thatched houses near the museum.

Then back to Copenhagen, and train to Helsingor to visit 'Hamlet's' Castle as above. www.kronborgcastle.com Again, it's a very attractive town with pretty, old houses.

You could very easily do either of these and still have plenty of time to see Copenhagen before being back on board.

I followed some walking tours in Copenhagen. itineraries here http://www.frommers.com/destinations...048020033.html

Don't miss having a hot dog from a street stand - delicious.

Archived