Family Related Question about Cozumel

My DH, DS (2 year old), and FIL will be cruising on the Legend in less than 2 weeks :D (can you tell I'm excited)! My DH and I have been cruising 3 times before and 2 of the 3 have gone to Cozumel. My DS and FIL have never cruised.

My FIL is interested in an island tour, which we've done twice. I don't mind doing it again, but I would also like to take my DS to Chankanaab. I'd be willing to just take him and let my DH and FIL go do the island tour (though neither DH or I are perfectly thrilled with doing separate things). OR we thought about hiring a driver to take us to selected spots we really enjoyed and then having them take us to Chankanaab to spend the rest of the time.

My question is, do you think this is a reasonable plan with a 2 year old? He's pretty laid back and easy going. Do you think we'd have time for both? Any other suggestions on how to do what would be best for everyone?

We're just new to traveling with a toddler. We're trying to maximize the fun while keeping realistic expectations. So I'd love some input from others who have done any of this.

I like the idea about getting your own driver and doing your own highlights tour/picking what you want to see. This will allow you to adjust depending on how he does -- you can skip things/move quickly if he gets cranky, or allow him to explore if something really catches his eye.

We've hired a driver for a trip around Cozumel (twice) with our DS who is now 3. It worked well for us. It has been my experience that when we hired a driver that they have a pre set route they want to take you on. Since you've been there before and know the island, you may need to make it clear to the driver what you expectations are. Another option would be for FIL and DH to do the short island tour and then take a taxi to Chankanaab to meet you and DS. Our favorite place to stop, eat and watch the ocean is Playa Bonita. They have great cerviche and a huge menu. Our drivers always want to take us to the bigger places.

Archived