Flight home from Seattle

Diane In TN

First-time cruiser wonders how much time to allow between docking and plane departure. ...

Our HAL ship, the Zandaam, has a 7 a.m. docking in Seattle. I don't know if that means we start getting off the boat at 7, or if we won't get off for another two hours. Our online travel agent said a 11:30 a.m. flight would be fine -- it's the only nonstop of the day. But I'm starting to worry. Should I switch to the 1:25 p.m. flight (takes an extra couple of hours to get home, because it's not nonstop, but I would hate to be stressed out about getting to the airport on time.)

What do you experienced cruisers recommend?

Thanks very much --

Diane in TN

I'm not sure how far away the airport is to the cruise port. But, you can easily arrange for self disembarkation. This way you are responsible for taking your luggage off of the ship. Usually this takes place around 9:00 am or so.

Jonathan

Usually 11:30 is safe; if that is the only non-stopper, I'd be willing to risk it. The airport is not that far and there are ample cabs available at the port. Assuming the ship arrives on time (most of the time they do) debarkation will likely begin around 8:00am (give or take a half hour). Nobody can leave until customs clears the ship - and occasionally there are some delays with this event, but rarely such a long delay you'd miss an 11:30 flight. Do sign up for the self-disembarkment (where you carry off your own luggage and leave with the first group) to maximize your wiggle room. Unless a very lengthy delay occurs with the ship arriving late (i.e. a mechanical problem, medical, severe weather etc.) or a very lengthy customs delay, you will have enough time.

We had a similar situation last year when we disembarked from a HAL cruise in Seattle. We had booked a flight home that had a scheduled departure time of 1:30.

Well, we were off the ship around 8:30, caught a taxi and were at the airport at around 9am. When we checked in, we asked about an 11:30 flight and were able to change our flight to the earlier one.

So, if all goes well, you should be able to make an 11:30 flight. Have a great cruise! :)

I agree with the rest. Request an early disembarcation and take a taxi. SeaTac is a short drive down the interstate and is easy to fly out of. Too bad you can't spend more time in Seattle. It's one of our favorite cities.

Archived