Siena, San giamano and wine tasting or Cinque terre??

bellarosa

Hi, we've been to florence and pisa already, however we need advice for the livorno port if we should choose Siena, san giamano and wine tasting or Cinque terre. Cinque terre is 169.00 per person and siena is 199.99 but you get food with it. Cinque terre doesnt seem worth it, but wondering if someone is out there that has done both of these and can please help.

so not sure if this will help, because I loved them both....San Giamano lovely old,quaint town with great churchs, museums,lovely country side,typical Italian town..Cinque terre a series of very small ,towns that look like from distant past...took the train and stopped off at 3 of them...absolutely lovely views, fantatic food at outdoor ocean side restaurants...really something to remember....If I were FORCED to chose, would go for Cinque terre...can go on own,very easy, train not hard to navigate....hard to chose....but hey,, either one GREAT,just different....maybe getting a guidebook and looking each up might help...the cost for San G, probably because longer bus ride, so more time will be spent getting there and back...;);)

I agree with alexandra cruiser. We had a car that we picked up in Florence. Spent the night in Siena ... it was just OK. What surprised me the most was how hilly. Nose bleed hilly.

Next day drove to Cinque Terre but only went to the 1st village. Maybe it comes down to.... do you want to be by the sea, have great seafood, limoncella (liquor which is all over) it's just different than Siena. Friendly, friendly people. It rained the next day so we didn't get to the other villages.

Have you seen or read Rick Steve's book on this if not it might help you decide. :cool:

Hi, we've been to florence and pisa already, however we need advice for the livorno port if we should choose Siena, san giamano and wine tasting or Cinque terre. Cinque terre is 169.00 per person and siena is 199.99 but you get food with it. Cinque terre doesnt seem worth it, but wondering if someone is out there that has done both of these and can please help.

Here is the link to Rick Steves Cinque Terre where you can watch it free. Might help you make up your mind. We are going there on our cruise in June and can't wait to see it.

http://www.fancast.com/tv/Travels-in-Europe-with-Rick-Steves/97989/1238034381/Cinque-Terre%3A-Italy-s-Hidden-Riviera/videos

I would definately choose Cinque Terra. First time I saw it we were on a train cutting through. I'll always remember the views. I looked into the area and just had to go back. Loved it. Very easy to take a cab from the port in Livorno to the train station-very close. Take the local train up and enjoy your day. Read Rick Steves, he always has great info.

Both are lovely, yes, but they are quite different. Cinque Terre is mostly an outdoors place, since its natural location is what recommends it. There is some shopping and great ambiance, but the scenery (and the hiking, for most folks) is what it's all about. If you are interested in the hiking paths, this link has great information: http://www.parco****onale5terre.it/sentieri_e_trekking_2.asp?id_lingue=2

Siena and, to a lesser extent, San Gimignano, are more art, history and culture locations than Cinque Terre. There is, however, a great deal of walking (especially in Siena), much of it going either straight up, or straight down. Everytime I'm there I can't help thinking about how the heck they got all that marble way up there to build the cathedral. (Slaves, of course.)

One thing to think about with these two excursions is the amount of time you'll spend on a bus getting there and back, vs. actually being there. The San Gimignano & Siena trip is at least four and a half to five hours of time on the bus. For Cinque Terre, it will be about three hours round trip on the bus.

We did both going with the ship's excursions and I agree you can't go wrong with either of them. If I was forced to choose, I too would go with Cinque Terra.

Can you elaborate on the ships excursion to Cinque Terre? Which village did you start at and where were you picked up? Did you have a guide with you or were you just given a map and instructions on when to meet up with the tour bus?

We are on BOS in September and would like to visit this area and are deciding a DIY or ship tour. Thanks for any info.

Heather

• 1 month later...

I am definately going to do Cinque Terra, but concerned about doing it on my own. I don't like ships tours - have always done a private tour booked way ahead. Have a group of 10 people - should we do it on our won or get a private tour? Are the train schedules reliable enough as we don't want to miss the boat!!

I am definately going to do Cinque Terra, but concerned about doing it on my own. I don't like ships tours - have always done a private tour booked way ahead. Have a group of 10 people - should we do it on our won or get a private tour? Are the train schedules reliable enough as we don't want to miss the boat!!

Don't need a private tour. Check with Rick Steve's website on the trains and also http://www.slowtravel.com.

We did this tour in May with Rome in Limo. They provided a local guide for us and it really made the trip special. We had a small group of 12 and we set our own pace - it was really great.

Have been to both and it's apples and oranges. Siena, in my opinion and contrary to that of some other posters, is stunning. The historical significance alone is amazing, and the cathedral is one of the most, if not THE most, beautiful and ornate buildings I have ever been in. We stayed in a villa in San Gimignano for a month and spent a lot of time touring in Tuscany--really nothing like the beauty--every view is post-card worthy.

We ALSO love Cinque Terre--completely different, of course, and not much to see except the views, which are also beautiful. By that I mean, there are no buildings of historical significance, etc. Just clusters of homes and tiny stores clinging to the hillsides. But I agree with Eurocruiser that the travel time difference probably gives the edge to CT. The train is very easy to use between villages; have not done the train ride from Livorno, although we intended to, but got lucky and the ship was diverted to La Spezia instead which made it a very easy trip.

But I couldn't let the negative comments on Siena pass by undefended!!! It is as 'Italian' as you can get!

Have been to both and it's apples and oranges. Siena, in my opinion and contrary to that of some other posters, is stunning. The historical significance alone is amazing, and the cathedral is one of the most, if not THE most, beautiful and ornate buildings I have ever been in. We stayed in a villa in San Gimignano for a month and spent a lot of time touring in Tuscany--really nothing like the beauty--every view is post-card worthy.

We ALSO love Cinque Terre--completely different, of course, and not much to see except the views, which are also beautiful. By that I mean, there are no buildings of historical significance, etc. Just clusters of homes and tiny stores clinging to the hillsides. But I agree with Eurocruiser that the travel time difference probably gives the edge to CT. The train is very easy to use between villages; have not done the train ride from Livorno, although we intended to, but got lucky and the ship was diverted to La Spezia instead which made it a very easy trip.

But I couldn't let the negative comments on Siena pass by undefended!!! It is as 'Italian' as you can get!

April 2005 - We did a TA cruise from FL to Genoa. Then trained to Rome in time for the pope's election, stayed at Hotel Paba.

Picked -up a car in Florence and spent one night in Siena at Hotel Dumo - room 52. Loved this hotel, with a large terrace above the city..... just steps from our room. What a view! But it is not for those that have knee problems it's very hilly.... in the town. We ate at Trattoria Da Dino and I got the shortest hair cut ever. More about churches later.

We then drove to Monterosso (Cingue Terre) stayed at Hotel Puna Mesco. It rained the next day so we left and didn't get to train or walk to the other villages. Food was great at Belvedere, little shops were nice and folks friendly and great Limoncello I have a very good map that shows the train and the walks to some of the villages. Sorry, it doesn't have a address maybe someone can help you on slowtravel.com.

or click http://www.slowtrav.com/gmaps/#italyMaps might be something there that would help you if you need one.

Two nights in Florence at Hotel da Lanzi. I was more impressed with the Dumo here than the many, many churches we saw in Rome and elsewhere. Venice we were at at B& B Ca'Della Corte Carmni Suite. I've given the poster more than she'd asked for but it was fun typing this and reliving the most beautiful region in Italy.

I enjoyed your comments and wish we could of spent as much time as you did. There were many little town in the Tuscany area we just had to miss. I did a year's research and feel that I at least visited them by video, travel guide or talking with a local on the internet.

That is one of the hardest questions to answer. Thats like do you want chocolate or chocolate??? They are both Fabulous. You will get the beauty of the Italian Riviera, much like the Amalfi coast, or great little towns with TONS of charm. Not much price difference either!!! I would pick one, and if this is your first trip to Italy, you will be back to do the other!!! :D:D

Archived