Never done an NCL Cruise - feedback needed - What are your pros and cons of NCL?

Having just got off my first NCL cruise, there are some good and bads about the cruise line. I LOVED the freestyle aspect, makes the day much less "planned" and allows you to relax and have fun. However, there's not a lot to do during the day compaired to carnvial and RCCL. There were no fun games by the pool (just one belly flop competition). There also wasn't on my ship (the jewel) the nice indoor adults pool, which I really suggest going for a boat with one. I loved the free style part, but didn't really love the service you get because of it. I don't think I'd do NCL again, unless it's the epic.

Hi: We were on the Jewel for a 14 Night Repo cruise and it was wonderful. It was our first NCL and even though I followed the boards to get some insight on what or what not to expect. We have been cruising for many years with the late seating for Traditional. We chose this cruise because it had Ports we had not yet seen and even though we had to fly back from Miami to NJ, we thought it would be worth it. Well, glad we decided to it.

We loved the freestyle dining option..We weren't sure if we would, but decided it was worth a try and I'm glad we did. Never waited more than 5 minutes for a table for 2 every night. We chose Tsars as our 'favorite", as it seemed more formal. We did Aqua one night, it was fine, but liked the more 'traditional dining room" ambiance.

We were always appropriately dressed for dinner and had the most wonderful waiters and waitstaff. If the DH hand went up, someone was right there, even if it was not our waiter. Very accomodating and willing to serve and please the diner.

The only thing we didn't bring were cocktail/gown dresses or suits. I did wear a dressier type and dressier pants for "dress up or not" night the 1st and 2nd times. The 3rd, just a very pretty top and slacks. DH wore a sports jacket/shirt/tie 2x as well and a dress shirt/slacks for the 3rd, no tie. We enjoyed looking extra nice those nights and certainly no inconvenience.

I must say that I noticed that the pax that looked like they were on a ship for dinner, had the best service. Maybe clothes do matter.

We tried 3 special restaurants. French, Spanish, Chinese. They were good, but if we didn't go, I don't think we'd miss them too much. Just wanted to try them for ourselves, not because the food wasn't good. We really have no complaints.

Sometimes NCL makes you feel very relaxed and that's a great thing!!

We can't wait to be back on NCL (Dawn) on 8/29 for a 7 night to Bermuda. One of our special, favorite Islands.

So, you have my view.

Have a great time on whatever line you choose.

PS FYI We are not kids, but young "seniors", if that makes any difference in your decision.

:-)

Pros: FreeStyle, atmosphere, fantastic entertainment, friendly crew, pricing, beautiful ships and decor, dining options, convenience for us of sailing out of NYC so no flying necessary.

Cons: Have found these sailings to be overbooked and just too many people onboard with the buffet and pool deck a zoo.

Archived