Pre-Cruise Stay - Flying into FLL Cruising out of Miami

kmacht

Hi,

I am sure this has been covered in this forum before but after spending a half hour searching I couldn't find an answer. This site really needs a FAQ. So here it goes.

My wife and I are cruising out of Miami on the 19th on the Carnival Destiny. We are flying in on the 18th to be sure we don't miss the cruise. The issue is that we are flying into Fort Lauderdale and not Miami. So my question is, where should we stay and how do we get from the airport to the hotel to the port inexpensivly. We are looking for just a basic room, nothing fancy. Staying in downtown Miami within walking distance of Bayside would be a plus but if there was somewhere in Fort Lauderdale to stay that would let us get to a resturant without taking a cab that would be fine too. We will not be renting a car since it is just one night. So I am looking for:

1) Suggestions on places to stay in Fort Lauderdale and how to get to both the hotel and the port of Miami from there.

2) Suggestions on where to stay in Miami and how to get to the hotel and the port from there.

Thanks,

Keith

6 of us did this exact cruise last January. Into FLL and stayed at Hyatt Place that I bid on. Had a car that we picked up at FLL airport. Next morning dropped it off at MIA car rental center and they took us to the ship in the shuttle. Upon our return we did it in reverse. Shuttle from ship to car rental center then drove to FLL airport. We did have the whole day to drive up the coast to FLL and also time to explore south beach area.

I think rooms if Ft Lauderdale are cheaper than Miami. I think a one day car rental is cheaper than the Super Shuttle that takes you from FLL to MIA ships. And you have a car to get those last minute forgotten items. Or explore the area if time allows.

Just did the fly into Ft Lauderdale and sail from Miami thing. I flew in the night before and stayed at the Sleep Inn. $59 for King room on Priceline. Room had fridge and microwave. Free shuttle from airport to hotel. Waited only about 10 mins. Very clean hotel with nice staff. Walgreens' right across parking lot came in very handy. Free breakfast in the morning, nothing fancy but good. Really good Mexican/Spanish restaurant across the street, there was also Chinese and Italian in same strip mall. Took SAS Transport to Miami for $15 one way and had them for my return to FLL at $15 also.

Just did the fly into Ft Lauderdale and sail from Miami thing. I flew in the night before and stayed at the Sleep Inn. $59 for King room on Priceline. Room had fridge and microwave. Free shuttle from airport to hotel. Waited only about 10 mins. Very clean hotel with nice staff. Walgreens' right across parking lot came in very handy. Free breakfast in the morning, nothing fancy but good. Really good Mexican/Spanish restaurant across the street, there was also Chinese and Italian in same strip mall. Took SAS Transport to Miami for $15 one way and had them for my return to FLL at $15 also.

We stayed here last month and was thinking of doing the same next April but SAS says we probably would not leave the hotel for the POM until after 11:00. Can you tell me what time SAS picked you up at the hotel and what time you got to the port and what time you got onto the ship, thanks.

We stayed here last month and was thinking of doing the same next April but SAS says we probably would not leave the hotel for the POM until after 11:00. Can you tell me what time SAS picked you up at the hotel and what time you got to the port and what time you got onto the ship, thanks.

SAS picked me up at 11. Was at the port by 11:30 or so. No lines at all so I was on board by noon. Worked out perfectly. The times that I got to the port earlier (before boarding started) the lines were long and it was a bit crazy. Of course, the times that you actually get on board would depend on which cruise you are taking.

SAS picked me up at 11. Was at the port by 11:30 or so. No lines at all so I was on board by noon. Worked out perfectly. The times that I got to the port earlier (before boarding started) the lines were long and it was a bit crazy. Of course, the times that you actually get on board would depend on which cruise you are taking.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid I would be getting to the port later in the afternoon. I will be going in April (Northeast school vacations) and I want to get on the ship as soon as I can because I want to book a cabana for Half Moon Cay:D

Archived