Best Port In Tahiti For Scuba

biensur

We are sailing on TP May 14 and want to do a different activity in each port. Can anyone give me their opinion on the best port on the Cook Island itinerary to scuba and the best port to snorkel?? Anyone ever rented scooters or a 4X4 and ventured around one the islands? Many thanks!

Biensur,

Our short answer is dive in Bora Bora--Tapu and Toopua to be specific.

Longer answer is there are quite a few reviews posted on this board. Just click the "Search this forum" button in the upper right hand corner and search for Tahiti. It's useful because we tend to stray off subject in this forum and some of the thread titles don't indicate there's Tahiti information included.

Kathi & Leo

• 2 months later...

Scuba Bora Bora!

On Tahaa (off raiatea) do a drift/pass snorkel!!!!

I wrote a multi part review of both iteneraries on the princess board. you can search by my screen name and pull the reviews. I ran a group and aranged MANY independent tours on the different islands. in my review I talk about who we went with etc.

You will have SUCH A BLAST! I wish I coudl go back right this moment!

• 2 weeks later...

A drift snorkel = snorkeling as the current carries you. Normally this is done in the coral gardens between the ocean and the island. what happens is the water breaks over the barrier reef and pushes into the lagoon. You drift on the current through or over the coral formations. It is fabulous!

We did do a poor drift snorkel in Huahine, so look for terms such as coral gardens etc. also most of these types of snorkeling fins are useless in because you do not have the room to use them. Tahaa.

Pass snorkel, is when you actually swim the pass between the ocean and hte lagoon, this is usually in deep water and many marine animals come through this way into the lagoon. This is done frequently in Rangiroa. You would need to be a good swimmer to atempt this.

does that answer your question? I have FABULOUS pictures from the coral garden in tahaa, I can share them with you if you would like. I have them on ofoto. just e-mail wystiria@cox.net and I will send you the link :)

for diving, I preferred bora bora, over moorea, raitea...try: Muri Muri for school of grey sharks, barracudas, turtle, jackfishes (in function of the weather condition) or Anau (saw &dove beside majestic manta rays)...r/wes

Archived