Best Underwater Excursion Type?...

Lehigh98

Best Underwater Excursion Type?...  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Best Underwater Excursion Type?...

• Snuba
    • Discover Scuba Diving
    • Planet Aqua - Above & Below
    • BOB Underwater Adventure
    • Helmet Dive
    • Animal Encounter Scuba Adventure

Long time listener, first time caller...

Only a few days left to choose excursions before our cruise and my DW and I are having some trouble. We'd like to do an underwater activity but neither of us are certified for scuba diving. There are several different excursions that seem to offer the underwater experience but are slightly different in one way or another. Have any of you participated in the following activities? What did you think of each? Which did you like best?

Thanks! :D

Snuba

Snuba is designed for those who enjoy snorkeling and would like to experience the wonders of breathing underwater. It is very easy to learn, after a short orientation and skills practice along the shoreline, your instructor will take you on a guided underwater tour. As the maximum depth is 20 feet, it is perfect for fish watching and seeing the coral formations. There are no heavy tanks to carry as your tank floats effortlessly above you.

Discover Scuba Diving

If you have ever wanted to try scuba diving, here's your chance! Join in the fun of breathing underwater. After a 45-minute training session with your PADI Instructor, you will explore a beautiful shallow reef. All equipment included.

Planet Aqua - Above & Below

Try a marine odyssey on the floor of the Caribbean Sea. A marine expert will guide you and ONLY six others along a trail edged by a handrail, 10 to 18 Feet below the surface. Trek around coral reefs and see the abundant marine life up close and personal. The custom made SEA TREKKIN helmet will keep your hair and face dry and provide all the air, weight and stability you need. This is a SCI-tech adventure for anyone from 8 years or older, and requires no experience of any kind.

BOB Underwater Adventure

Experience the thrill of a lifetime with your own underwater motor scooter. BOB, the Breathing Observation Bubble, allows you to view the marvels of the sea and no diving experience is necessary! This one-of-a-kind excursion will last approximately 3 hours and begins when you board a 60-foot custom dive yacht for a cruise along the scenic coast line before arriving at a beautiful selected site to begin the BOB Excursion. Featured on the Discovery Channel and similar to an underwater motor scooter, BOB allows you to enjoy a guided underwater tour with the beautiful tropical reefs and colorful fish of the Caribbean. The tour also features some snorkeling adventures, an array of water toys and spacious sun decks so there's something for everyone. You will also be provided with snacks, refreshments, bathrooms and freshwater showers. Join the friendly, certified staff for the Aqua Adventures BOB Excursion and start making the memories of a lifetime!

Helmet Dive

This tour combines the Snorkeling Adventure Tour with the thrill and excitement of helmet diving. Experience this marine odyssey on the floor of the Caribbean Sea as a marine expert guides you along the ocean floor at a depth of 20 feet. The custom made helmet will keep your hair and face dry and provide all the air, weight and stability you need. This is a SCI-tech adventure for anyone from eight years old on up, and requires no experience of any kind.

Animal Encounter Scuba Adventure

A natural tidal pool at the edge of a beautiful coral reef is home to sharks, turtles and stingrays. Here divers can have the unforgettable experience of hand-feeding these animals. The sharks and turtles are behind fencing with five big plexiglass windows with feeding holes. The animals can be seen, fed and filmed close up. The stingrays and other fish swim among the divers. The option of having pictures or a video made is available and may be purchased at the end of the dive. In addition to your 30 to 40 minute dive, you will have time to explore the Seaquarium before returning to the ship. This is available to non-certified divers as it operates in only 12 feet of water. A complete PADI-approved familiarization is conducted on scuba equipment and safety prior to the dive. Medical restrictions apply and the minimum age is 12 years. See the Shore Excursion Desk for details. This tour is only offered on the Adventure of the Seas.

I can't speak for anything else here, but BOB totally rocks. My entire family did this together. We had underwater cameras and took each other's pictures while we were in the BOBs. The people who run the excursion were excellent and took a few family shots with our cameras. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to do it because I never seem to be able to equalize pressure in my ears, but I told the guy about my fears and he took me down slowly enough that I had no problems at all. I highly recommend this.

Archived