Should I switch to NCL for the Epic ?

thrltr

My wife and I have been on several cruises and cruise lines but never on NCL. I want to surprise her with a cruise for her 40th b-day next year. When we were on the carnival liberty this past March while we liked the cruise we found the entertainment lacking in a big way. We are from Chicago and love the blue man group and circ shows so I thought that EPIC would be a good fit for us. I am leery however of changing cruise lines. I have only been on Carnival and RCCL and she has been on those two and Disney. Will we be ok on NCL? We are not huge party animals but we do like to have a good time…but we don’t stay up all night. Just wondering if the upgrade in entertainment will come with a disappointment in other areas. Ports are not an issue because we have been to the VI’s several times but will go again just to take this cruise. I would ask her but….it’s a surprise so you guys have to help me out a bit. Thanks!!!!

I can't address RCCL, because I have not sailed them, but I have sailed Carnival, as well as Celebrity. My trip on the Epic this summer will be my 3rd NCL cruise.

We all have different "hot buttons" when choosing a cruiseline and the reason I chose NCL (two summers in a row, now) was because of the Freestyle. Last summer, we sailed the Hawaiian Islands on NCL's Pride of America. Unlike the Epic, it was very port intensive and after long days on the islands (we rented cars and did our own thing), we would come back exhausted (in a good way) and having the option to go get the kind of dinner we wanted, where we wanted, without having to rush back took so much stress out of the vacation.

We did Alaska on Celebrity - and it was absolutely lovely (had the most amazing cabin in my life), but we had an appointed dinner hour, same table, same waiter and when we were on land, it was definitely in the back of our minds that we had to be back at a certain time, showered, etc. And that makes it much less of a stress free vacation.

Now while this is important to me - it might not be important to you and your wife. But the Freestyle piece was what brought me back to NCL instead of another line ... well, that AND ... a brand new ship, Blue Man, Cirque, etc.

Whatever you choose, I know your wife will love it!

If you go try to get a Penthouse or above for the extra treatment you get with this type of room (nice for 40).

I have sailed Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, HAl. I find that each has somethings I liked and others things I did not.

I am going on the Epic for the entertainment, Blue Man Group, Legends in Concert, Cirque, Fats Cats, and Second City.

My Dh and I have only been on Carnival in the past. We wanted to try something different but were leary to change. We were originally looking at the Carnival Dream or th RCCL Freedom of the seas.. BUT then we saw the EPIC... and we were hooked. We are absolutley looking foward to trying something new and different. Why not?

I think it is awesome you are thinking of your spouse in such a wonderful way. Kutos to you. I am sure no matter what you do she will be so surprised!! If between the two of you, you have done carnival, rccl and disney why not add one more to the list. I now want to try all of them.

I'm doing the Epic in September to celebrate a big birthday - I wanted to do some something different for my 60th. We seriously considered a Crystal cruise, but in the end I felt that this ship would offer more in entertainment options than any other, and that is very important to us. We have a cabin with one of the extra large balconies and honestly, I don't care if we get off the ship, (although I know we will), and we expect to have a great time with all of the shows, ice bar, restaurant options, etc. Really looking forward to this cruise.

thrltr, as you can see below, we've only cruise Carnival and NCL, so I can't compare them to RCCL. I don't have as much experience as some people who post on here, but in seems to me the entertainment varies from ship to ship, not cruise lines. Our first NCL cruise the entertainment was OK, but the second cruise it was really good. Our first three Carnival cruises the entertainment was very good, but last on the Liberty it was just OK.

One poster mentioned the freestyle dining being a major factor, and I have mixed emotions on the freestyle dining. We really enjoyed the speciality restaurants on NCL, so we didn't eat in the main dining room very much. On the other hand, on Canrival we really enjoyed sitting at a big table and getting to know our tablemates. If meeting new people is not your thing, then this would be a negative for another person.

With all that said, I would wager that an extremely high percentage of people who've booked a cruise on the Epic are doing so because of the entertainment. And why not. I'm soooooo excited about this cruise.

My wife and I have been on several cruises and cruise lines but never on NCL. I want to surprise her with a cruise for her 40th b-day next year. When we were on the carnival liberty this past March while we liked the cruise we found the entertainment lacking in a big way. We are from Chicago and love the blue man group and circ shows so I thought that EPIC would be a good fit for us. I am leery however of changing cruise lines. I have only been on Carnival and RCCL and she has been on those two and Disney. Will we be ok on NCL? We are not huge party animals but we do like to have a good time…but we don’t stay up all night. Just wondering if the upgrade in entertainment will come with a disappointment in other areas. Ports are not an issue because we have been to the VI’s several times but will go again just to take this cruise. I would ask her but….it’s a surprise so you guys have to help me out a bit. Thanks!!!!

I have been on Disney, RCCL, NCL, HAL, Canrival and Princess in both standard rooms and suites. We are doing the Epic because it should be so different and a new experience. I would say.... SURPRISE with an EPIC adventure.

I prefer Carnival, but have also sailed on Royal Caribbean. I have never had the desire to try NCL, but I do now. The entertainment on Epic looks fantastic. I cannot wait to try it.

I'm doing Epic in September for my 40th having most recently sailed RCI which I enjoy.

What appeals to me about NCL Epic is the numerous dining options meaning we hopefully wont get bored eating in the same places every night like we did last week on RCI Explorer of the seas.

Looking forward to the many many entertainment options and the adults only options of H2O Spice etc.

thrltr - We've got a lot in common...both from Chi-town and celebrating 40th on Epic (well your wife!).

We have only done one NCL cruise, but it was quite a while ago and on an older, smaller ship and I think it was when they were first starting Freestyle dining. We've done a lot of Carnival, and being Platinum with them now, it's hard to change lines, but with all the entertainment and dining options we decided to give it a try. I figure no matter what, a day on a cruise is better than a day at work...no matter what cruiseline! :D

octagonmike - I see you're celebrating the big 4-0 on the same cruise I am. Come join our roll call!

In my opinion you cannot go wrong by booking the Epic. I personally love NCL. I am also a Royal Caribbean fan though. Please don't flame me for what I am about to say... I am NOT a Carnival fan. Sorry this is just my opinion. :o I love the freestyle dining on NCL. I am going on the Epic's first sailing out of Miami on July 10th and can't wait. In fact I just booked my entertainment for the Blue Man Group, Cirque Dinner, The Second City and Legends in Concert, so I am extremely excited. :D I think you should go ahead and book the Epic !!!!! :p

thrltr - We've got a lot in common...both from Chi-town and celebrating 40th on Epic (well your wife!).

We have only done one NCL cruise, but it was quite a while ago and on an older, smaller ship and I think it was when they were first starting Freestyle dining. We've done a lot of Carnival, and being Platinum with them now, it's hard to change lines, but with all the entertainment and dining options we decided to give it a try. I figure no matter what, a day on a cruise is better than a day at work...no matter what cruiseline! :D

octagonmike - I see you're celebrating the big 4-0 on the same cruise I am. Come join our roll call!

I celebrate my 40th on Septermber 8th (Sea Day), how about you ?

After sailing our last two cruises on Carnival, we are in definate need of a change and the Epic will be for us in March 2011. This group of 30 somethings will enjoy the allowed having drinks in the hottub and the freestyle sundeck that carnival cannot offer. Its the little thinkgs ya know...

Archived