Best restaurant at St. John

jakesmommy

• 2 weeks later...

If I had to go one place in St. John, I'd pick Skinny Legs over in Coral Bay. You get a lot of local color, and it is an open air bar. Food is pretty basic - cheeseburgers, mahi-mahi burgers, portabella mushroom burgers, and cold beer. I especially like the fact that they feature "same day service." Another place that I really like is Lucy's, which is further down the road a bit, but features more local fare, and you can get some more interesting frozen drinks. As with most of the places on St. John, it's pretty laid back, so I don't know if it fits your description of "fun." If you really want a treat, go to Vie's snack shack. She's not always open, but the trip out there is nice, and if she's closed you can always go to Skinny's.

Typically, however, you won't find cruisers hanging out at these places. I have more often seen cruisers hanging out in Cruz Bay at one of the touristy bars.

Reading about Skinny Legs and Vie's really brought me back to a trip to St. John we took several years ago. My childhood best friend and her husband lived there for a few years before she tragically died of breast cancer at age 40. The time we visited we went to Skinny Legs several times, as it was a regular hang out for them. We went to Vie's snack shack and her beach as well. She makes great conch fritters and fried chicken. Vie did not like letting dogs on her beach, but she did let Vicky bring her golden retriever, Fruitcake, because he was the greatest dog in the world. St. John is such a different world! Everyone we met there was unique. There was a guy whose name I don't remember who made the best beef jerky. We went to a very expensive restaurant which sadly is no longer there. The food was gourmet, yet it was open air, as is almost everything there. The best part about it aside from the field greens salad with goat cheese and blueberry vinagarette, were the cats who roamed freely, visited but did not beg. My friend said that in St. John there are dog restaurants and cat restaurants. They didn't bring Fruitcake to this one. I know this wasn't very helpful, but I sure enjoyed reminiscing about St. John and my dear friend Vicky.

• 2 months later...

How far is the Skinny Legs from the Ferry point in Cruz Bay, I will be going to Trunks bay and do not know if we have time to visit the Skinny Legs.

Also can you let me know if there is some other good places to eat or visit, close to where the Ferry takes you.

Thank you for your help. :) :)

rlanting... Skinny Legs is in Coral Bay, about 8 miles from Cruz Bay on the other side of the island. You would probably have to rent a car to get out there. It probably takes 45 minutes or so to drive there from the ferry dock, as the roads are very curvy and hilly, but its a beautiful, fun drive with several scenic overlooks, beaches and even some historical ruins along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived