Skagway - Ferry to Haines

roudy1

We are sailing to Alaska on Sapphire Princess in September...and we are thinking about doing an excursion by ferry to Haines and a float to the eagle preserve.

Has anyone done this excursion before? And if so did you book through the ship or with a private tour company? If a private tour company who did you use? And did you enjoy the trip?

Thanks a lot.

The Veendam ported in Haines, Sept 2009, and provided a ferry to Skagway - it took about 30 min. each way. We enjoyed the scenery. One of our favorite things was eating with the locals in Haines at the Fireweed. We got the last 2 pieces of chocolate pie with peanut butter crust - mmmmmm!

We stayed in Haines for a week 2 summers ago. Summertime is not high Eagle season in Haines. I would take the ferry to Haines and then see Steve Kroeschel's wild animal preserve outside Haines. Awesome experience!

Thanks for the information it is very helpful...the ferry has a very unpredictable schedule mid September when we will be there...so still deciding and doing research.

I have heard that the scenery is beautiful between Skagway and Haines and that is what we are really going for...also the float to the eagle preserve is also supposed to be very nice as well...so if we don't see eagles we are okay with that.

FYI to get to Skagway you have to sail by Haines, so you will see the scenery both sailing in and out from your ship. Unless you're set on the eagles if this is your first trip I'd stay in Skagway and do either the Yukon and White Pass railroad or rent a car and drive into the Yukon.

FYI to get to Skagway you have to sail by Haines, so you will see the scenery both sailing in and out from your ship. Unless you're set on the eagles if this is your first trip I'd stay in Skagway and do either the Yukon and White Pass railroad or rent a car and drive into the Yukon.

Thanks...it is our first time to Alaska and mainly wanting to do the ferry for the scenery. But the ferry doesn't run a lot mid September...so thought about the excursion with Princess.

I have heard that Skagway is very small and not enough to do for the day...will also consider the White Pass but my hubby isn't too thrilled with that one.

Just realised you are sailing on Sept. During that time period odds are you will be arriving before dawn and sailing afterr sunset so will probably miss the channel views. My best recommendation if you're only going to do Alaska once is the combo Train/bus trip into the Yukon. If I had to chose only one I'd do the rental car or tour into the Yukon. I've done this about 6 times already and will repeat again in Aug.

Archived