beaches

beebee

After reading this board, I am getting the feeling that any touring that you do off a cruise ship in Puerto Limon is basically some type of eco tour, which is fine with me. However, my husband and I also love to go to a beach. Are there any beaches that anyone could recommend in this area? Also, I might also be interested in finding a hotel with a beach that offers day passes for cruise passengers. Is there any such thing available?

Thanks for any help.

• 2 months later...

You can hire a taxi to take you to Puerto Viejo area. Playa Negra is gorgeous, and deserted. No amenities, but there is a place that offers lunch and a bar (Banana Azul). Email and see if they can set something up for you - we stayed there on our last trip and the owners are AWESOME and very accommodating!

Most beaches in the area are quiet and very relaxing. However, I do not know of a place that offers one day passes like in Mexico. Costa Rica is different. You don't see the chain hotels. Everything is quiet, B&B type places. South of Puerto Viejo has really nice beaches as well. Playa Cocles is beautiful. Go to the Jaguar Rescue Center just off the main road, south of the town. Get a guided tour 9:30 and 11:00 I think, from Encar (owner). She rescues all types of animals - sloths, monkeys, reptiles, etc etc. I held a baby sloth which was really cool. There are restaurants within walking distance and the beach is across the street. Very safe area. People are always walking on the road!

Cahuita is a bit touristy, as well as chill....bars, restaurants, etc. It's small. You blink you miss it. If you are not wanting to do any kind of "tour" and just want to lay on a beach, this might work for you. It's only 45 min from Limon, and north of Puerto Viejo.

Hire a taxi once you get off the ship. Negotiate $$ PRIOR to getting in the taxi. Do not let the driver touch your luggage until the price is set. Firm. If the price changes, stick to the negotiated price. The driver will back down, and no worries. Get some Colones, as the dollar is weak, and your colon will travel further down there. But all places take dollars too. The people are so nice.

Have fun! The towns have liquor shops, wine can be purchased chilled, sodas, etc. Go to the Mercado, fill a cooler, and walk across the road to the beach. Do NOT leave your belongings unattended - they will be taken. Even if you are watching them, they will be taken. Just FYI.

Have fun, I love CR and can't wait to go back!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived