What are your views on allowing 18-20 yo drink beer/wine onboard?

needalatte74

Europe is so different to the US, regarding children and drinking. For example, it is easy in the UK for someone way younger than 18 to purchase alcohol and that is not really a good thing.

But an 18 year old drinking in Europe is perfectly normal. And most 18-20 year olds don't take holidays with their parents, they go with friends. It seems that Americans treat their children as children for far longer and I guess that has pros and cons.

I would allow an 18 to 20 year old to drink in moderation on a cruise - then again, I couldn't imagine taking a holiday with my parents at that age. Maybe if they'd taken me to places where there was actually something for teens to do, I might have felt differently.

And most 18-20 year olds don't take holidays with their parents, they go with friends. It seems that Americans treat their children as children for far longer and I guess that has pros and cons.

I hadn't thought of this perspective and you're right. We Americans think of 18 as the passage into adulthood, but in reality we still manage our 18-20 year olds as if they were children.

Most 18-20 year olds aren't yet self supporting. If they're under their parents roof then yes they are for all intents and purposes their "children".

Yes, still supporting my 21 for 2 more weeks. So my rules go.

I have no problem with 18-20 yo drinking. I am in agreement with others that the US policy is backwards. Politicians make laws that on the surface sound good; "it's for the children". You can do most everything else at 18 in the US and there really is no valid reason to be able to drink at 18. Most, if not all, problems that arise from alcohol is the lack of responsibility of people who over do it and the lax way in they are handled.

Off my soap box now.

Most 18-20 year olds aren't yet self supporting. If they're under their parents roof then yes they are for all intents and purposes their "children".

And if they are not supported by their parents?

Most 18-20YO I know ARE on their own (at least by they time they are about 19-20). My nephew is 20 works two full-time jobs and goes to school, his cousin is his roommat, and he's all of three weeks older than DN and he too is self-supporting. My cousin's 20YO son just got back to his wife and son from a tour in Afganistan - he hasn't been living at home or been supported by his parents (or his in-laws) for nearly three years.

If you are 24YO and still living under your parent's roof and eating their food, maybe then you shouldn't be drinking.

Totally fine with it. When we go home, (Canada) my daughter will be able to drink - 19 years.

I was with my little cuz on a family cruise a few years ago (okay more like 20 years) I was hanging with them more then the aunts and uncles.. they could have a drink as long as they were with me. they only had one drink the first night, and kinda thought it tasted gross and then stuck with coke for the next 7 days.

T

I cruised as a child with my parents and when I was 17 or 18 I remember having a few drinks onboard (back then if you were over 16 in international waters it was allowed). It was nothing excessive and I have never been a huge drinker. I went away to college to a well known "party" school but never really "partied" like some do. I think a few drinks for an 18-20yr old is fine. I think my parents laid back attitude on vacations and in Europe helped because it wasnt such a big deal when I finally went away from home. Now I am married with 2 kids of my own and when they are that age I plan on adopting the same attiutude.

And if they are not supported by their parents?

Most 18-20YO I know ARE on their own (at least by they time they are about 19-20). My nephew is 20 works two full-time jobs and goes to school, his cousin is his roommat, and he's all of three weeks older than DN and he too is self-supporting. My cousin's 20YO son just got back to his wife and son from a tour in Afganistan - he hasn't been living at home or been supported by his parents (or his in-laws) for nearly three years.

He works 16 hours a day? What hours does he go to school? When does he sleep? Doesn't sound like much of a life.

He works 16 hours a day? What hours does he go to school? When does he sleep? Doesn't sound like much of a life.

Works a regular 8 hr day 5 days a week at an insurance co. works three overnights on weekends at at a hospital - "only" 30 hours, but since his shift is considered "premium" hours, he is considered "full time". He is taking courses two nights a week.

Not much "down time" but he wants to earn enough to go to school full-time next year (while keeping the hospital job). We'll see how it goes.

I worked one full-time job, carried a full credit load, served in my school's student government association, and graduated summa cum laud in four years.

Archived